Major calorie burning

Options
Swissmiss
Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
I have heard several times that someone will burn up to 1000 calories in an hour. I mentioned this to the training at my gym because, frankly...I would love to be able to do that. Well, she says that she doesn't think that it is possible to burn that many calories in an hour. So...how many here are able to do that? And...how?

Replies

• MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear answers. I personally don't think I could burn that many.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    For most people: Overestimation.
    Me: I can burn 1000 calories an hour, though it's difficult to get past 800 for me... and I'm 6'7 240lbs.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Endurance athletes.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Id say its impossible for the genetically average person. There are very few people on the planet that could sustain a workload of 16/cal per minute for an hour.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Typical calorie burn for cardio is 5-10 calories per minute. That would be 600 calories in one hour at the high end of that scale.
  • starcurl
    starcurl Posts: 41
    Options
    The most I can burn in an hour is about 750 calories and that is with very intense, non-stop cardio with tough intervals- My weight is currently 222, so unless someone is much heavier, I don't know how they could get to 1000 calories per hour.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Agree, 1000 is not for us 'normal' folks.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I can do it.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    So, a large person could do this, a smaller person couldn't. My all out sprinting peaks at 12 cals per minute on my bodybugg. I can only sustain that effort for 1 minute. So if I could do that for 60 min I still would only be at 720 and that's not realistic at all.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I can do it.

You gone for a test? Or is this a HRM reading?

Also a large person couldnt do this, they would not be able to keep the intenisty for that long.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    At 300 pounds, it is possible for me to burn 1000 calories in an hour. For those not super obese, I think that would be very difficult.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    It would not be possible for me to do that at my goal weight. I think the most I could do if I really really pushed would be 500. Usually it is a lot lower.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Really? And this person is more on the Very fit side...right? So, for that person...totally understandable.

But when you are over-weight it takes more because you have to MOVE MORE.

End Game.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Id say its impossible for the genetically average person. There are very few people on the planet that could sustain a workload of 16/cal per minute for an hour.

When I was very heavy, I could do it. I didn't USUALLY pass the 800 mark, but a couple of times I did it.

Not now - maybe 500-600 tops, full effort.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    At 5'7", 132 lbs. and at a pretty good fitness level after being on MFP for a little over a year I recently burned 753 (HRM verified) for 1.5 hours of intense Zumba.

Nowhere near 1000/hour...
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I work my *kitten* off in zumba (dripping with sweat) but even in my 90 minute class I average a 750 cal burn. 60min classes are about 550cals. Of course as others say if you're larger then of course you can burn more. Just the same as a 300 pound woman burns more just living, breathing and doing nothing than a 150 pound woman does.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I burn around 500cals in an hour when I do circuit training. and that's the hardest workout I do. I am literally dripping with sweat by the end. BUT... I'm only 10lbs from my goal weight so someone who is more overweight could probably burn more.
  • Beautifulsmiley
    Beautifulsmiley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband is able to do it, but he's 5'9" and ~300 lbs. He does the treadmill on the incline setting and has actually burned more than 1000/hr when he was 300+.
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i have a cheapo hrm, that says i burn anywhere from 400-600 cals doing jillian michaels 30ds which is about 27 minutes. i don't believe it, & i don't generally eat back those calories.
  • ctinaditty
    ctinaditty Posts: 6
    Options
    I try to burn over 1000 calories every time I work out. Doing P90X is an easy calorie scorcher. One of my favorites is a circuit I came up with. I jog around my neighborhood but also add in squats, lunches, pushups, and abs. This is always a fantastic workout and it works out every part of your body! :)