Finish your plate or waste food?

Options
2»

Replies

• Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from with not wanting to waste, but to be honest, if you are eating at work, it's not your food/money that's being wasted anyway, so if they wont/can't do smaller portions, then chuck what you don't want.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I really feel your pain as I'm constantly cooking way to much food under the guise of needing to have enough so people don't go hungry and/or make more for leftovers. This doesn't seem to be working for me as we always seem to eat up everything I make!

[I'm from a large family so portion size is an issue.]

As I can't seem to control my meals by stopping when I'm full-I've taken to throwing the part I over-prepare (such as pasta) in the trash so I don't eat it. This is extreme but I think its working and I'm getting a better idea what a normal portion should be and hope I will eventually cook normal amounts and stop eating when I'm full.

Sometimes I pre-log a meal and then eat only as much as I've logged and no more. Again, seems to work!
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thing is, if it's food that you don't want or need, isn't putting it in your body just as much of a waste as putting it in the bin?

This. This this this.
    wow, lightbulb moment.
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If I eat out and the serving size is larger than I'd eat at home I cut off my portion and immediately ask for a box for the rest. If it's not a good leftover type of food I push the rest aside and put a napkin over it.

At home I only cook as much as I plan on eating or save 1/2 for another day.

I never make my kids finish their plate but I also don't serve huge portions. If they want more food I'll gladly give them another serving.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you ask for smaller portions. If that is not possible then package it up and have it for another meal or a snack.

The other option is you could bring your meal from home. Then you are sure of what size and how much you are getting.

Karen
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Save it for later if you can, but....

If you have to choose between food going to waste in the trashcan, or going to waste on your waist, it needs to be the trashcan every time.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If it's a financial concern, by all means save your leftovers for later.

If you're worried because "there are children starving in India"... think it through logically. If you eat all your food, or if you throw it away, either way there are still people who don't have enough to eat. The food on your plate isn't helping or hurting them in any way.
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If it's a financial concern, by all means save your leftovers for later.

If you're worried because "there are children starving in India"... think it through logically. If you eat all your food, or if you throw it away, either way there are still people who don't have enough to eat. The food on your plate isn't helping or hurting them in any way.

Love it, Very valid point!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I was taught the same thing and I think that contributed a bit to where I am now.

Serve less food. When you are done that wait a few minutes and if you are still hungry get a bit more. Don't load up your plate. If you have food left on your plate just pop it into the fridge and have it later.

I now always serve myself smaller amounts of food and get a bit more if I am still hungry. Usually I'm not. Once the meal is done I will pack up the leftovers (my hubby usually takes them for lunch the next day).
  • HTMTM
    HTMTM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have that problem when I go out to eat. I think "Well, I've PAID for it now! There's no point throwing that away. I might as well eat it."

I have gotten slightly better with it of late though. I try very hard to resist every instinct that tells me to clear my plate.