Off to the Sheriff's Academy, what to pack for food???

Options
My husband starts the Sheriffs academy this Monday. So excited!!!!!!!!! He's gonna be burning piles of calories. He's a healthy eater at home already, but now everything has to be "grab & go" type stuff. We're looking for a few ideas for healthy, protein packed snacks to sustain him throughout the day, that aren't prepackaged junk. He'll have access to a fridge. If it were me, I'd be packing peanut butter, walnuts & almonds, but those are among the few things he doesn't like. Also, he wants to skip dairy as it upsets his stomach, so no yogurt.

He needs to be out of the house by 4am. In the interest of saving time, a healthy breakfast on the go is a must!!! I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with something he could just heat up and go, but the thought of heating eggs in the microwave grosses him out...he's not too picky is he?

Any ideas???

Breakfast on the go:

Healthy, protein packed snacks:

Replies

• smartin9912
    smartin9912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Peace Officer, he needs to cook his meals for the week. Put them in containers so he can grab and go. Egg Whites, protien bars, protien shakes and- packaged tuna, etc. If he is at an academy they probably have a cafeteria and its all cooked as ordered, or least find out a head of tme if there is a refrig for cadets use.

Beef Jerky is high in protien as well and if they are doing PT on regular basis he will need some good carbs as well. Oatmeal, sweet potato's.

Think on the line of stuff that can be eaten cold
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Peace Officer, he needs to cook his meals for the week. Put them in containers so he can grab and go. Egg Whites, protien bars, protien shakes and- packaged tuna, etc. If he is at an academy they probably have a cafeteria and its all cooked as ordered, or least find out a head of tme if there is a refrig for cadets use.

Beef Jerky is high in protien as well and if they are doing PT on regular basis he will need some good carbs as well. Oatmeal, sweet potato's.

Think on the line of stuff that can be eaten cold

Thank you!!!

We had orientation last night and they told us there would be a fridge to use...no mention of kitchen. It didn't seem like there would be time enough to cook anything.

So far we've come up with, chicken salad, tuna, steak on salad for lunch options. He used to cook up eggs every morning, but doesn't want to spend the time doing it since he has to be out the door so early. I'm going to have stuff waiting for him in the crockpot each night. Maybe I could use the leftovers in wraps that he could heat up...in the toaster oven instead of microwave.

There will be daily PT, I think he'll like the beef jerky idea! And yes, we shouldn't forget the carbs...carbs in the morning for sure. With all the PT he's going to be doing, I'm wondering if a bagel might be a good idea in the morning? Muffins maybe? He's always hungry as it is, I can't imagine what our grocery bill is going to look like!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    what about the single serve, pre-drained, pouches of tuna? Hubby likes them straight from the pack, but yours could add a dab of mayo or pickle relish... you can get travel sized condiments and some snacks at http://www.minimus.biz/foodmain.aspx

Not sure what kind of macros he has, but my kids ( and hubby) love my homemade granola bars that I adapted from a food blog
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/thick-chewy-granola-bars/ I use the 1/2 cup of sugar so they are not as sweet as a commercial bar. I add things like raisins, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, dates, coconut. It just needs to have at least 2 cups of fruits and nuts per small batch. Mine come in around 350 calories each.
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    what about the single serve, pre-drained, pouches of tuna? Hubby likes them straight from the pack, but yours could add a dab of mayo or pickle relish... you can get travel sized condiments and some snacks at http://www.minimus.biz/foodmain.aspx

Not sure what kind of macros he has, but my kids ( and hubby) love my homemade granola bars that I adapted from a food blog
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/02/thick-chewy-granola-bars/ I use the 1/2 cup of sugar so they are not as sweet as a commercial bar. I add things like raisins, dried cranberries, slivered almonds, dates, coconut. It just needs to have at least 2 cups of fruits and nuts per small batch. Mine come in around 350 calories each.

^ love the homemade granola bar idea! Great money saver and I can tailor them for what he likes!
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like to make egg and sausage biscuits (for me, on 100-calorie sandwich slices :-) and eat those in the morning. Fix scrambled eggs and turkey sausage patties. Put on biscuits with some mustard and cheese, wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator. Good luck!
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I have a breakfast cookie recipe that is fairly high in protein - you could add protein powder to make it even higher if you would like. Let me know if you want the recipe.

I do stuffed potatoes ahead of time, they can just be heated. I'll keep thinking....
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    Thank you both!!!
    I like to make egg and sausage biscuits (for me, on 100-calorie sandwich slices :-) and eat those in the morning. Fix scrambled eggs and turkey sausage patties. Put on biscuits with some mustard and cheese, wrap tightly and store in the refrigerator. Good luck!

This sounds yummy!
    I have a breakfast cookie recipe that is fairly high in protein - you could add protein powder to make it even higher if you would like. Let me know if you want the recipe.

I do stuffed potatoes ahead of time, they can just be heated. I'll keep thinking....

I would love the cookie & potato recipe!
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Whole grain high protein breakfast cookies
    Ingredients
    • 1 cup walnuts
    • 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
    • 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
    • 1/2 cup ground flax meal
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I leave this out)
    • 1/2 cup almond butter
    • 1/4 cup canola oil
    • 1/4 cup blue agave nectar (I usually leave this out)
    • 1/3 cup brown sugar
    • 1 egg
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/2 cup dried cherries (I use craisins)
    • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like to use mini-chips)
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
    2. Pulse the walnuts in a food processor several times to chop; continue processing until the walnuts are ground into flour; transfer to a bowl. Mix in the rolled oats, whole wheat flour, flax meal, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until thoroughly combined.
    3. Combine the almond butter, canola oil, agave nectar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract in the food processor and process a few seconds to blend the ingredients well; transfer the almond butter mixture to a large bowl and fold in the dried cherries and chocolate chips. Mix the walnut-oatmeal mixture into the almond butter mixture (dough will be very thick).
    4. Scoop up heaping teaspoons of dough, and form into balls; lay the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
    5. Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flatten the cookies with a spatula. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to finish cooling on wire racks.

I like to make these in to balls and then freeze them on a cookie sheet before putting them in a freezer bag. Then I make 2-3 at a time for my kids for breakfast.

For the stuffed potatoes, I don't use a recipe. I bake a bunch of baking potatoes, split them open, scoop out the insides and add whatever I want to the insides. I don't like baked potatoes, so I add things for my kids, who need the calories and fat. Typically I add cheese, sour cream, bacon, sometimes black olives. Then I scoop the potato mix back into the shells and freeze on a cookie sheet. When frozen, put in freezer bags. Or, alternatively, before freezing, wrap in saran wrap so your dh can take individually frozen halves. Then, microwave until warm.

Enjoy!
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post those!!!