Do you run with your dog?

Options
Does anyone run with their dog? How did you train them? How far do you run? What kind of dog? How old were they when you started training them? I am getting a puppy this weekend and while I know it will be a while before he can run with me I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to get there.
Thanks!

Replies

• ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, not yet; every time I try to pick up the pace to a jog he turns around and jumps on me! He thinks I'm playing.

I think what you need to do first is train them to walk on only one side (so they don't criss cross in front of you and trip you). Training has to start right away, it will be so much easier! Ours is nearly a year but we just got him, so it's proving really difficult. So part of it will be training the puppy to follow your hand so you can guide him on your side.

My dog is a dutch shepherd, and on his own in the off-leash park, I'm pretty sure he could run forever.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Nope, Cooper overheats easily so we stick to walkies - and even then I am always sure to bring lots of water.
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wish I could! I have 2 pomeranians and they have very different ideas in which way to run ;) I can jog a bit with one of them, but it seems to work better to just play chase with them in the dog park!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have an 81lb 3yo black lab mix. She LOVES to run!!

First (and this is important) - You don't want to run with your dog until his/her growth plates have solidified (about 1yo) because otherwise you can do some major damage to your dog.

Shelby (my dog) and I started with loosed leach walking where she walks beside me on on my left side and doesn't get in front of me or behind me. One of those leashes that has the extra loop on it helped with that.

http://www.petco.com/product/6316/The-Grrrip-2-in-1-Dog-Leashes-in-Black.aspx

Once we mastered walking right beside me we picked up the pace, with her staying right beside me. Eventually she figured out (on her own) the timer on my interval watch. When the beep would go off to run she would be ready to run!

If you are in a hot climate (S. Texas is HOT) I suggest a doggy backpack so that you can carry dog water with you on your runs. I think the longest run we've been on is a 9 mile, it was supposed to be 6mi, but I took a wrong turn on the trail. :-)
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    no way, i stick with walks with them. each time i have tried to jog they have to stop and poop or pee constantly which causes me to jerk their necks they get all twisted up around each other and get hot quickly. i have two dachshunds and a mini poodle. i always start out with great intentions, then end so angry and annoyed with the dogs. So, walks only.
  • oxalicious
    oxalicious Posts: 2
    Options
    I used to run with my dog when I was running a shorter distance and I was slower, but now she can't keep up with me so I feel bad and leave her at home. She is a toy poodle and she's now 7 years old. I always used the shorter six foot leash and she always just stayed on my right side. Occasionally, she'd try to cross in front of me when she smelled something interesting, but the leash being short, I could pull it back and keep her out from under my feet.

I was running 1 - 1.5 miles at about a 12 minute mile pace and she could keep up, but like I said, I've since gotten faster and go farther...
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    Only in the winter. He's an Alaskan Malamute. First my dog is stubborn, he doesn't take to training at all. I have lost more pairs of pants in his puppy-I'm -gonna-jump-and -bite- while-we-walk phase, so once that was corrected... I first trained him by going very short distances and holding the leash close to the collar (or all that swinging leash distracts him and he tries to bite it). I also use a EasyWalk harness so it clips in the front and he doesn't feel like I am yanking on his neck. I started training at 6-7 mo. when he was getting more independent I was increasing distance by 8 mo. . I started actual running at about 9 mo. but, he is biiiiig and my vet said to wait until his hips were x-rayed for signs of dysplasia before really getting him into it. Now, I can't run because of a knee injury/surgery but my husband takes him and says he's still really good.
    If you are doing it in warmer months(even winter depending on how far you go) check tips on how to spot overheating in dogs and carry water for you both. I also run on the sidewalk/road so I make him wear boots so he doesn't get sharp ice or glass/sharp rocks in his paws.
  • outdoorchic74
    outdoorchic74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog. He trained with me for 2 half-marathons. He's an old man now - 11 years old, but we still do short jogs together. The key is teaching the dog how to walk on a leash and how to "heel," which means walk on your left side at the same pace you are walking. Once the dog has mastered walking on a leash and heeling, you might begin to do short jogging spurts to see if he can stay with you. I highly recommend taking any new dog or puppy to a dog obedience class. Good luck! Dogs make great running companions and give you a extra sense of safety from would-be creepers who might bother you.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    My husband and I have a Husky. She is like the old Nintendo racing games, all gas or all breaks! LOL that makes it pretty difficult to run with her but we still try. Stay on your toes and get to know their attitudes as well so you can tell if they suddenly spot a squirrel! Good Luck!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I do. My dog is about 2 years old. He is a rescued pitt bull who is just a sweetheart. The only problem I have with him is that he tries to outrun me (which wouldn't be too hard right now) sometimes. AND he's not a good walker. He pulls too much.

If you aren't set on the dog, get a RESCUE! Adopt, don't shop! And a dog who is alittle older is better. Most vets will tell you not to run a dog who is very young.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well I am just now conditioning myself to jog. The most I can go is for about 3 to 5 minutes. Yes, I take my dog on every outdoor walk/jog I go. He would rather jog the whole way. Okay, so my jog for him is a very fast walk for him. He is a 2 year old German Shepherd. Depending on what kind of dog you get will depend when you can start jogging with them. I have heard for larger dogs don't even start conditioning them until they are 6 months. I wouldn't start with larger dogs though until they are 1. That is just my personal preference though. I do a lot of trail walking and my pooch gets his run in that way.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yup, I run with my dog all the time except for when it's really hot out. You first have to teach him to walk in a straight line and not stop and smell everything. It's just harder when they are puppies because they have such a short attention span.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Ha I wish, she would just run back and forth in front of me frantically sniffing and stopping and starting.............I'm so jealous of people that can run with their dogs......................that's why my b!tch is in training classes lol
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    No, but my cat will sit on the treadmill with me when I walk.

IMAG0194.jpg
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I run with my little 6 pound mini chiweenie. We started when he was about 18 months old. I started out doing Cto5k and decided to take him along. I was just doing loops around my neighborhood at the beginning so I figured I could drop him off at the house once he got too tired and finish my workout.

Boy, was I wrong.

We're up to Week 7 now and running for 25 minutes at a time. Well, I'm running. He's more at a fast walk. When we get done running, I collapse on a chair and guzzle water. He sprints laps around the house and takes flying leaps off the furniture for a good fifteen minutes before he's ready for a rest.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Does anyone run with their dog? How did you train them? How far do you run? What kind of dog? How old were they when you started training them?

I run with my dog. He is a 4 yr old 20 lb Beagle/Bichon Mix. I even roller blade with him. He is a machine though, all muscle. The vet can't believe his back legs. I took him to puppy classes when I first got him to get him leash trained. He still pulls though, he is total beagle and follows his nose. He's actually easier to run with than walk. When I walk he pulls and is all over the place. When I run he stays more focused on the running. Except when a rabbit or squirrel crosses our path, then I have to make sure I brace myself, he made me pull something in my thigh not long ago, bolting in the other direction. He will also run on a treadmill with me. I think if you get a high energy dog they don't need much actual "training" to run. I figure if it's too hot for me to run, it's too hot for him, I don't run when it's super hot. And if I am thirsty, I figure he probably is too. Easier for him though, he can drink out of puddles/ ponds. I have probably run with him since he was 5-6 mos old. If he doesn't get enough exercise he is naughty, so it motivates me to get out with him.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

We're up to Week 7 now and running for 25 minutes at a time. Well, I'm running. He's more at a fast walk. When we get done running, I collapse on a chair and guzzle water. He sprints laps around the house and takes flying leaps off the furniture for a good fifteen minutes before he's ready for a rest.

My dog does that too, when we get home from running he is all hyper and runs circles around the house, bringing me toys wanting to play. While I am laying on the floor.
  • bluu09
    bluu09 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do. My boy is a Siberian Husky. Adopted him in March, and the vet said he is probably 2-3 years old. Didn't have to do anything with training because he likes to run. But, he either gets tired or bored after 3-4 miles and runs really slow. Also, with the St. Louis heat recently, I run him less.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I do. My dog is about 2 years old. He is a rescued pitt bull who is just a sweetheart. The only problem I have with him is that he tries to outrun me (which wouldn't be too hard right now) sometimes. AND he's not a good walker. He pulls too much.

If you aren't set on the dog, get a RESCUE! Adopt, don't shop! And a dog who is alittle older is better. Most vets will tell you not to run a dog who is very young.

:love: