Ever Witness Something Funny at the Gym??

Options

Replies

• dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound really mean, but I can't resist. I was in a hi-lo aerobics class. I might as well have been wearing leg warmers and a side pony tail because it was an 80's aerobics flash back. Anyway, some woman forced her poor husband to come. All the power to him, but a totally muscle bound dude dancing 80's style, and never in the right direction, was hysterical. It took all my strength not to laugh. Of course we all gave him his due respect at the end of class for conquering the whole thing with his head held high!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Boy, nothing sexier then a bunch of ladies talking about the walkin farts! :happy:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. You guys know I love you all!
  • dakoda
    dakoda Posts: 38
    Options
    Rule for gyms: wear deodorant and no perfume. I can smell that stuff a mile away.

I saw a woman running so fast on the treadmill, she had to use the hand rails to support herself while her legs ran. She looked like a cartoon. To top it off, she was wearing low shorts and had to keep pulling them up.

At an all women gym, I don't get to see too much, strut. I did see one woman wear a bra for her workout - and not a workout bra. The women in full makeup crack me up too - oh, and they are not coming from work either. Also the ones that read while working out (including weights).

It makes me so nauseous when someone next to me is wearing way too much perfume at the gym, especially when it is a horrible scent! It's almost so unbearable I don't want to even finish my workout. Why do they do this!?
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    :laugh: Banks! Its says funny, not sexy!
  • dakoda
    dakoda Posts: 38
    Options
    This little old man, had to be over seventy, got on the treadmill a few machines over from me. At first he was walking and adjusting the speed... then out of the corner of my eye I saw him zoom backwards! I looked over and he was stuck between the wall and the treadmill, trying to stop the machine with his hands on the track. Some people just stared at him and kept going with their workouts, I couldn't believe it! I didn't see the gym attendant so I jumped off my machine and stopped his for him. I asked him if he was ok and he replied with, "I guess that was a little too fast for me!!" I was so worried about him, but he got right back on the machine and kept going, paying very close attention to the settings this time around!! Poor little guy will never do that again I'm sure!! I couldn't help but giggle inside everytime I looked over at him afterwards. Thank God he was ok!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    This wasn't at a gym - but a few years ago I worked in a coffee shop in a mall. This guy would come in every afternoon with his little red shorts and his knee high tube socks and walk. He was younger and really thought he was hot stuff. So, one day he comes in and starts walking and notices some cute girls hanging around. He was so busy watching them and trying to get them to notice him that he wasn't paying attention and ended up bouncing off one of the pillars. It was really funny to watch - he didn't hurt himself, but he sure startled himself!! :laugh:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    haha i've never seen anything THAT interesting, at least not that I remember.
    but it always cracks me up when I see guys there on "man dates" as i like to call them where they sit there and watch each other do reps and cheer them on. like 5 or 6 of them will be there for 2 hours and barely do anything. its so funny.

Guilty! :laugh:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought everyone fell off the treadmill at least a few times....:blushing:
  • GingerKid
    GingerKid Posts: 86
    Options
    :laugh: These are some hilarious stories.

I sometimes have to get the wedge out when I'm working out. :blushing:

I workout at our YMCA, so you have "all types" there...which, for me, is really nice. The ones that kill me are the ladies that I like to call "the cluckery"...b.c. it seems all they do is chat, lift 5# weights all while not even breaking a sweat...cause that would ruin their full makeup and hair...yet....they look awesome :grumble: I swear, they eat bowls of air to stay that way..I hate them :wink:

One guy likes to wear a wrestling singlet w/ a weight belt and shin length atheltic socks...HAWT...and I guess he's rather inappropriate w/ some members...

And the HS boys that like to do "party tricks"....like upside down pushups and crap like that :laugh:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    And the HS boys that like to do "party tricks"....like upside down pushups and crap like that :laugh:

Wow! I would be impressed! :noway:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    lmbo...o you are killing me lol!:laugh:

I haven't been to the gym in years but I was addicted to it for years before my son was born, even when I was prego I went to a light aerobics class....one day I was in a really small group early in the morning I was like 7 months prego....dr. approval and all, and the instructer had to ah relieve himself and asked ME belly and all to take over the class for a min....

It was hillarious for so many reasons seeing this all belly teaching a class, two ladies came in late...looked around and left probably thinking it was a pregnancy class or something LOL....

not as funny as walking farts but it makes me chuckle thinking about it LOL
    hugs!
    Ali
  • amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    This little old man, had to be over seventy, got on the treadmill a few machines over from me. At first he was walking and adjusting the speed... then out of the corner of my eye I saw him zoom backwards! I looked over and he was stuck between the wall and the treadmill, trying to stop the machine with his hands on the track. Some people just stared at him and kept going with their workouts, I couldn't believe it! I didn't see the gym attendant so I jumped off my machine and stopped his for him. I asked him if he was ok and he replied with, "I guess that was a little too fast for me!!" I was so worried about him, but he got right back on the machine and kept going, paying very close attention to the settings this time around!! Poor little guy will never do that again I'm sure!! I couldn't help but giggle inside everytime I looked over at him afterwards. Thank God he was ok!

I have decided i must be a pretty sick person because this has just totally cracked me up!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Is that bad?
  • frenchfoodlover
    Options
    There's a couple that works out at our community gym - this little blond girl and her boyfriend -- let's just say they've mastered the art of "gym foreplay".... it's so hilarious to watch and one day this older lady had had enough and went up to them and said: "We pay too much money to have to watch you two monkeys fornicate on the gym equipment. It's bad enough I feel nauseous working out without you adding to it. By the way that's what hotels by the hour are for." Well, the whole place erupted in laughter. Needles to say, they haven't been seen since.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    My friend is VERY pregnant, in fact she is due to have her c-section on May 13 (She is the one in my pic on the right)...anyway, she is a healthy and active pregnant girl. She was doing some squats at the gym last week where she had her foot propped up on a ball or something (I can't remember exactly what she was doing)...but at one point, the ball rolled a bit and her foot slipped forward...and she said that out of the corner of her eye she saw like 10 heads suddenly swivel her way in panic (and a few gasps!).....fearing for the pregnant girl!! I just have this picture in my head and it makes me laugh.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I hope some of these posts don't deter self concious people from going to the gym.

I have a significantly over weight friend who is afraid to go the gym because she thinks people will judge her - from her form, to her outfits - I had always hoped that wasn't true.

:ohwell:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    There's a couple that works out at our community gym - this little blond girl and her boyfriend -- let's just say they've mastered the art of "gym foreplay".... it's so hilarious to watch and one day this older lady had had enough and went up to them and said: "We pay too much money to have to watch you two monkeys fornicate on the gym equipment. It's bad enough I feel nauseous working out without you adding to it. By the way that's what hotels by the hour are for." Well, the whole place erupted in laughter. Needles to say, they haven't been seen since.

OWWW!!! I just shot Coke Zero out of my nose!!! :laugh:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I hope some of these posts don't deter self concious people from going to the gym.

I have a significantly over weight friend who is afraid to go the gym because she thinks people will judge her - from her form, to her outfits - I had always hoped that wasn't true.

I hope your friend does decide to go to the gym because we all need to come to the realization that we're getting healthy for ourselves, not others; however, no matter where you are...the gym, bus, the street, food shopping, getting the mail, you're susceptible to judgment.

But I'm going to be honest with everyone- when I see a woman is significantly overweight I think to myself "what did that person eat/do for their body to get to that size?" I even ask myself the same question when I see my hips in the mirror.

So I hope this "fear" isn't an excuse for not going to the gym. Unless she doesn't go outside in fear of people looking at her outfits or she doesn't go food shopping due to anxiety from people judging her with the items in her shopping cart.

I hope she can find the inner strength to go because after a while, the gym does seem like a second home instead of a foreign land.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It's true - I guess judgement is everywhere - cruelty too. It is sad, but I suppose, human nature. I try not to judge others who are larger or smaller than I, richer or poorer, etc.

I never even thought about the food shopping - I hope people don't judge what is in people's carts!!! You recently posted in a thread about not being able to afford certain "health foods" - I would hope that no one is judging you based on what is in your cart - as they don't know your situation.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Tell your friend that I think most of us feel and think this when we see an overweight person at the gym:

"Good for you and keep it up! We all know how you feel!"
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It's funny you mention that because I recently decided that I'd rather be slim and poor than maintain/gain weight and not quite as poor :)

I admit that when I look in others' shopping carts, I judge them especially when their children are overweight etc. I recognize that I know nothing of their situation (thyroid, etc) but I can't help thinking things like "no wonder why your kids are so fat" and "put that tub of ice cream back in the freezer."

I try to not judge others too, but I can't help it and I've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Hopefully your friend will come to the gym and realize that judgment is not exclusive to the gym environment.