Vomiting after exercise?

sdav1997
sdav1997 Posts: 19 Member
I was in a 45 minute HIIT exercise class early in the morning. On this particular day, the instructor has more intervals of running, jumproping, burpees etc. I drank 16 oz of water during the class and then drank another 16 oz after teh class was over. As soon as I drove a block from teh studio, I became nauseous. In fact, I had to pull over to vomit.

What did I do wrong? Now I feel a little scared to do this class again.

I normally do not eat before this class because it is a 5am class. I have attended this class 3 other times in the past two weeks with no vomiting incidents.

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    1. Maybe you at something that didn't agree with you the night before, or you had a bug.
    2. Did you drink a lot more water than usual? I usually drink 16 oz in small sips throughout my workout, but even during hot yoga, I usually go with 8 oz in small sips.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 402 Member
    It may have just been a fluke if you have done it before with no problems. Usually if I excercise until I puke its right then not later.

Maybe drank the water after class too fast? I would certainly try again.
  • sdav1997
    I was not sick or anything. The only thing I did right before was drink down a secnd bottle and normally I drink just one during class and finish the second bottle while driving home. This particular session was so intense for me because there was more running than usual. Would the added running and the chugging down of the second bottle of water caused it? I just dont want to repeat my mistake when I go back to another class.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    I have to laugh because I used to do that sort of thing during football practice before I got into better shape. You need to be careful about the amount of water you drink during and right after until you cool down. Take smaller sips of water more often. Throwing down 16 oz at a time might be too much for your stomach to handle at the moment.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    HIIT is not something that should be done for 45 minutes. Assuming it's TRUE HIIT and not some watered down version, if you CAN do it for more than say 20-30 minutes you're doing it wrong. Pushing yourself to 45 minutes with TRUE HIIT is a recipe for disaster...
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    It could easily have just been the extra intensity and the extra water. If you were extra thirsty, maybe you were a little dehydrated to start? That can cause all sorts of things - higher HR during the workout, more likelihood of feeling faint or nauseous.

It was probably a one-off. Try and go to bed WELL hydrated the night before that class and drink a little more slowly. I think it's just a fluke.
  • michellekicks
    HIIT is not something that should be done for 45 minutes. Assuming it's TRUE HIIT and not some watered down version, if you CAN do it for more than say 20-30 minutes you're doing it wrong. Pushing yourself to 45 minutes with TRUE HIIT is a recipe for disaster...

I do a rec centre class that is considered a HIIT class... it's usually 3 activities of 1 min each as a set; the set is repeated 3 times; then you take a water break. That is kept up for about 45 minutes in between a warm-up and a cool-down for a 60 minute class.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Don't worry, it is just a combination of working yourself to hard, and drinking to much water. This happens a lot to people who just start crossfit aswell. It is a group class so nobody wants to look weak so they push themsleves further than normal. Just don't do it often, because it can be bad for you.
  • contingencyplan

I do a rec centre class that is considered a HIIT class... it's usually 3 activities of 1 min each as a set; the set is repeated 3 times; then you take a water break. That is kept up for about 45 minutes in between a warm-up and a cool-down for a 60 minute class.

It sounds like they changed a lot and that it's not true traditional HIIT. HIIT and it's Tabata variant, in their true and purest form, typically only consist of one exercise that works as many muscles as possible (such as burpees or mountain climbers). Fatiguing this muscle group with high speed and high intensity and then letting it (and your heart) rest before you go again. Changing it up to sets of different exercises somewhat robs you of the benefit.
  • michellekicks

It sounds like they changed a lot and that it's not true traditional HIIT. HIIT and it's Tabata variant, in their true and purest form, typically only consist of one exercise that works as many muscles as possible (such as burpees or mountain climbers). Fatiguing this muscle group with high speed and high intensity and then letting it (and your heart) rest before you go again. Changing it up to sets of different exercises somewhat robs you of the benefit.

Interesting. Yeah this is 3 different ones - like, say, mountain climbers followed by lunges with dumbbell shoulder presses followed by repeated jumps up on a stepper with touching the floor in between. Repeat 2-3 times then rest. So really a 6-9 minute exertion followed by rest.
  • HIIT is not something that should be done for 45 minutes. Assuming it's TRUE HIIT and not some watered down version, if you CAN do it for more than say 20-30 minutes you're doing it wrong. Pushing yourself to 45 minutes with TRUE HIIT is a recipe for disaster...

^^ Yup..Honestly I do 10 min of HIIT on the treadmill and im dying! Lol.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Okay, maybe I'll try the tabata program on the elliptical this afternoon... feeling inspired now :)

OP: I think that slowing down the water intake immediately after would probably be your best bet :)
  • contingencyplan

^^ Yup..Honestly I do 10 min of HIIT on the treadmill and im dying! Lol.

I hate using the treadmill for it lol. I do my HIIT sprints on just flat ground. I find that the time it takes for the treadmill to speed up and slow down messes up my timing and plus I have a tendency to fall off the treadmill =/
  • sdav1997
    Thanks to everyone who posted. I did make sure to drink enough water the night before and then during today's class I sipped one bottle. There was less running today, less exertion compared to the previous class.
    As for the HIIT, I called it HIIT because there were components of it within the class, but the entire 45 minutes was not a traditional HIIT class. Sorry for not being specific. The class has a cardio warmup, HIIT, strength/core exercises. Definitely a "watered down" version.
  • If you're doing very high intensity exercise, else highish (only way you could have lasted 45 minutes), you should NOT drink water during or after exercise. You need a cool down period of 5-15 minutes, and should then sip on water.

Your body will tell you that you're thirsty..do NOT listen to it. It also tells you you're hungry when you could go way, way longer without consuming food.

When we exercise pass moderate intensity, our body will move blood flow towards where it's most needed. Functions such as digestion will stop until shortly after exercise is done. All you need is to be properly hydrated before you exercise, and you should be good to sweat profusely for a bare minimum of one hour in most conditions.

So hydrate 20-30 minutes beforehand, then at least 5 minutes after...preferably 10-15. If you have a belly full of anything while doing very high, or highish intensity for ~45mins, your body will naturally try to puke it up because you simply can't process it.

The only exception is to wet your mouth and esophagus with 2-4 ounces maybe once or twice during, or after, but be careful. It really doesn't even matter if you're dizzy afterwards...it means you need to back it off a notch next time you exercise, but the worst thing you can do is to stop moving and try to drink water in such a state. Keep your hands behind your head, eyes and elbows pointed to the stars, and walk briskly until your heart rate has dropped a bit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Yeah baby! I like this type of party! Where is this class and how do I sign up? This sounds like football practice preseason hill sprint type *kitten*.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    when i was in ROTC, our Gunny would make us do similar work outs some mornings. it used to induce vomiting in more than one midshipman. it happens. even happened to me a few times.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    This just happens sometimes when you do high intensity exercise. Try drinking a protein supplement about 30 minutes before the class so you have a good energy source, and instead of drinking the water in large amounts, take smaller sips more often. I had to learn that doing the Insanity workout. I threw up from those workouts a few times! :smile:
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Been there done that.

Dry heaves in the parking lot too.

Normal if you push too hard or drink too much water during the workout.

I get the chills and goosebumps sometimes too, its most bizarre
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Also, you may want to try eating something beforehand, even just a slice of bread or an apple. I used to coach cheerleading, and there were always a few girls who ended up puking during/right after summer conditioning because they hadn't had any breakfast. And like other posters have said, try drinking smaller sips. Even if it means you have to pause in the middle of the class, it's way better for you than chugging that much at one time.