Always Hungry

Options
Okay so, I've been logging most of my food (minus the holiday weekend) since I came back around three weeks ago and one thing I've been noticing is that I'm ALWAYS hungry. I stop myself from grabbing snacks here and there but it's getting ridiculous. No more than an hour after I eat I want more food. What do I do?!

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? You may need more food.
  • mondragon91
    Options
    it happens to me all the time!!smh:indifferent:
  • thebutteredtoast
    Options
    Usually between 1100 - 1400 calories a day.

And mondrago91: I agree. It's horrible. I always want to snack! I've been drinking water and green tea constantly to try and stop myself.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would suggest foods with higher proteins and protein based snacks - carb based stuff will not satisfy hunger long.

Best snacks for me are nuts, yogurt and some high protein bars (like Clif bars), turkey jerky (watch sodium). Filling protein foods - chicken, fish, some red meat, beans, cheese (but not too much) egg whites

I try to eat protein with every meal and snack - it absolutely curbs hunger
  • weightlossguy01
    Options
    You have to quit eating cereal for breakfast. You just get an instant sugar spike and drop. Try always eating eggs or oatmeal for breakfast. Most people who have the most success with weight loss start their morning off with something strong like that which gets them to lunch.

Also you have to look into appetite suppressants if you are just getting back on it. It takes time for you body/stomach to adjust to less calories so the first few days take will power or appetite suppressants.

Many people will say you don't need appetite suppressants but if you look at their logs they are drinking green tea with each meal, coffee early in the am, fiber supplements, drinking a lot more water than usual, etc. These things all suppress appetite, you don't need pills to do it. Eating more protein also suppresses your appetite as well, fruit is one of the worst things and should only really be eaten in between meals in my opinion as a brief pick me up to get you to the next meal.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Fruit as a mid morning or mid day snack will not fill you up. You're getting good carbs and calories, but you're buring right through them. You need more fiber and protein to help you stay full longer. Also remember to get at least 1200 calories and refuel after excercise!
    Being hungry is good - it means your metabolism is increasing. But just make sure to snack healthy!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    For me, its a difference between being hungry and just wanting to eat for eating's sake. I know when I am really hungry....my stomach makes noises and I feel the hunger. But a lot of times, I just want to EAT something. Its a willpower struggle. If I have to give in, I will have Jell-O or some beef jerky....try to make it a protein snack.
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Agree - protein keeps me feeling fuller longer unlike carbs which we burn quicker. Protein & fiber. I recently added a tsp of Fiber-Sure to help meet my fiber goals and that really keeps me feeling full - make sure you drink plenty of water also, especially w/added fiber. :)
  • viczye23
    viczye23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree you need more protein, it will keep you fuller for longer, try high protein breakfasts and that should keep you going until lunch and you shouldn't need to snack then.
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    your breakfasts look really light to me. I tend to average around 300 calories. I would also try tracking sugar. Too much sugar in the morning for me without fiber or protein to balance it and I'm cooked.

All that said, I'm certainly no expert, but I'm also on a drug that has a side effect of "hunger"- they administer it to HIV patients to help them gain weight. In the last 3 months that I've been on it, I'm barely ever been hungry.

Good luck!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I only looked at a few days, but you are eating a high percentage of calories from carbs at nearly every meal. Try increasing protein and fat. I am not recommending a low carb diet, just increasing protein and healthy fats a bit. They'll increase satiation and keep you feeling full longer. Also, 1200 cals per day is very low, you may need to increase calories a bit if you intend to be on this path for the long haul.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I go for a mix of high protein and whole grains. The carbs will bump up your glycemic index right away and give you that instant full feeling, and the protein will even it out and maintain it.

Sometimes it's a matter of staying away from the kitchen. If I'm having nonstop cravings, I'll go study at the library.
  • kristynkayte
    kristynkayte Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i am always hungry too. I have healthy snacks like fruit and a cheese stick with 1/2 cup of cashews to get the protein...but then 1/2 hour later i'm hungry. Not just hungry like 'i want to eat something'...but legitimately hungry. I tried the Nature Valley protein bars...dark chocolate and peanut butter...and they fill me up!!! I try to limit myself to 1 a day...and it's usually my 8pm last snack...because it gets me through my last 2 hours of work and helps with eating bad stuff once I get home.
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Protien and Fiber. I've started making chilis with a lot of beans and a mass amount of protien. That seems to be working for me. Don't be afraid to eat every 2-3 hours - smaller meals, of course. Maybe actually increase your calorie intake a bit?
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Try more meals but smaller meals with snacks. Schedule everything in advance.
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had set mine to 1200, but found that I was always hungry. I went online and figured that 1500 (before exercising) was more realistic. I try like heck to eat my calories back from exercise, so if I workout for 300 I get 300 more. I also drink a lot of water. Just so you know, after I reset a little weight but once my body figured it out I have been losing weight and inches. Seriously, at 1200 I was just starving my body. I hope this helps.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    More protein, more fat.

Less calorie-dense grain-based carbs, and more plant-based carbs.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    What they said about protein. I was eating around 100g of carbs a day ie mainly protein and easily ate 1200 calories a day without feeling hungry. That said, I did stop dropping the fat so had to increase my intake.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Up your protein, ditch the processed foods and lower your carbs. This will instantly change that feeling of hunger. Feel free to add me as a friend to see my diary. I NEVER feel hungry!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Could not agree more - App suppressants not for me (I drink a big mug of tea), but I whole heartedly concur. Oatmeal is by far THE most filling breakfast. My oatmeal breakfast holds me well past 10AM and I eat it at 6:30AM