ladies over 40

Options
i told my dear husband that i wanted to join a gym.. he told me i'm not 20 anymore.. why even try..

so my question for those of you over 40.. why are you doing it.. why are you trying to eat well and look great.. seems my dear unsuportive husband cant figure it out.. i would like give him some answers.

Replies

• Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Because I want to look good for you dear. I want to be healthy to grow old with you dear. Yeah, mine wouldnt buy that either! Seriously though, just because we arent 20 doesnt mean we need to feel 60!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Simply stated - I am doing this for me!! These are the best years of my life and I want to make sure that they last even longer.

I am 44 and I joined a gym a year ago - its a womans only gym and that was fine when I was less confident about how I exercised, but I will say once this membership expires I will move to a co-ed gym.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Because I'm doing it for myself and a happy wife is a happy household :). I do have a supportive hsbd tho :) I don't go to the gym anymore my hubby bought me an elliptical and that's why I was mostly going for. I also w/o to videos.
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!
    Because I'm doing it for myself and a happy wife is a happy household :). I do have a supportive hsbd tho :)
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I do it for me! I deserve to put myself first and as a wife to one and a mother to 4 I think it makes me a better person.
  • jodi4861
    jodi4861 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would have said that when I am healthier and feel better about the way I look , I feel sexier. When I feel sexier, it will benefit you my darling husband.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Get the his and hers copy of "Younger Next Year." And then see what he says. This is about you (and him) going into the best years of your lives. He can either join you or get out of your way. I'm going to be 60 in Sept and my husband is 66. We hit the gym 4-5xs weekly and enjoy biking and swimming.

You go girl!
  • lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm lucky enough to be doing this WITH my hubby and we support each other! I'm doing this so I can continue to live a long, healthy life with my best friend, so I can one day enjoy grandkids and keep up with them, so I can enjoy traveling more one day once my hubby retires. But I'm not just losing weight on a diet to accomplish those things; I'm changing my life and learning how what I put into my body affects me. I'm giving me and my family a better me!
  • penny01966
    penny01966 Posts: 8
    Options
    1) Lifting weights is good as we get older to help prevent osteoporosis. http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/living-with-osteoporosis-7/weight-training
    2) and you have access at gyms to all sorts of equipment so you don't get bored with just one or two things at home.
    3) You can also have personal start up sessions with experienced trainers at most gyms to show you how to properly use machines, weights etc.
    4) and because at any age you can set the example for the younger people around you that it's never too late to get healthy!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    First, sad to hear hubby is unsupportive.

I'm doing this for me. I want to have a better quality of life as I age. I don't need another reason. I do have health issues and certainly they play into it, but I don't need to have a reason to want to be happier and healthier.

A big {{HUG}} to you. Men can be so dense sometimes.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Get the his and hers copy of "Younger Next Year." And then see what he says. This is about you (and him) going into the best years of your lives. He can either join you or get out of your way. I'm going to be 60 in Sept and my husband is 66. We hit the gym 4-5xs weekly and enjoy biking and swimming.

You go girl!

^^^^^ You are awesome!!! I'll be 54 in a couple of months and I'll still going strong (been working out since I was 19)
  • geo4314
    geo4314 Posts: 6
    Options
    because I want to be healthy,,,we are entering an age where alot of us get sick with ailments of some kind or other,,,,I want to be healthy,,,be able to still keep up and look hot while i am doing it
  • mrsmac69
    mrsmac69 Posts: 6
    Options
    I will be 43 in August. Turning 40 was a huge deal for me and decided to kick it's *kitten*.
    I started running the summer I turned 40.
    I now run at least 18km a week and have lost 14 pounds. I'm currently the weight I was when I got married.

And I"m rocking 40.
    I do it for this reason: "You don't look forty!"
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To get healthy--these extra pounds are finally causing some health concerns.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I work out.

I don't want to kill him as much when I work out because of all those happy endorphins running around.

He gets to see me in yoga pants (he likes that part.)

I have energy and motivation to do lots of other stuff (biking, fishing, camping, hiking, etc.)

I'm only 41 (Monday) for crying out loud! This fat lady hasn't sung yet and until I'm dead I'm going to keep working to improve myself and my quality of life! If he can't support that then he can at least shut up while I do my thing (although my husband would never deny me something I want for self improvement. And even if he did I lift weights and he knows I'm getting closer and closer to being able to take him! And since he doesn't workout I can run faster and longer than him so he can't run away.) :laugh:

There are so many studies that show how exercise lengthens life and improves quality of life that his defeatist attitude is just silly.
  • yougojo170
    yougojo170 Posts: 62
    Options
    Tell him you are doing it for yourself because you want to look and feel better and because you want to be healthy so you can be around a lot longer. Its just as important now , maybe even more so, than when you were younger, to be fit and healthy. Losing weight is not just about looking good- its about being healthy.:noway:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I would tell him - I didn't know there was an age restriction on your health and well being!!!! And I'd also have a few other choice words for his unsupportive asinine comment. 40 is young!!!! Hell I'm almost 54 and still working out consistently, going to the gym, doing yoga, running (eh ok more of a slow jog), kickboxing, spinning, strength training ect.

Your hubby needs to ditch the 'old man' mentally or he WILL be old before his time. Honey if you can afford it (I wouldn't want to advise you to do something that would cause a financial burden on your marriage)....but if you can afford join the gym!!! Have fun, go out and BE YOUNG!!!!!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    It gives me self-confidence, I am hoping it lengthens my life, and hell I look damn good.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    because I want to be healthy,,,we are entering an age where alot of us get sick with ailments of some kind or other,,,,I want to be healthy,,,be able to still keep up and look hot while i am doing it

TOTALLY agree with this ^^^^^^^

Plus I feel SO much better when I eat better and exercise! I have more energy and motivation. When I eat like a slug and behave like a slug I am not enjoying life.
  • LNPurdie
    LNPurdie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Why even try?

Well if my husband said that to me, I would call him a numpty and not validate the question with a response. tbh.

The right answer however is the truth. So perhaps the question you are looking to answer is "Why am I doing this?"

My simple truth is, I want people to look at me and think - there is a lady who takes care fo herself. Not sexy, not beautiful - but respect me because I look healthy and fit.

And the older I get the more I think about the length of my life, I want to BE healthy and live longer. I don't wanna die, I don't want to be late nlife and not able to get around - I don't want to breath heavy when i walk up a hill, and i want to be able to run after my grandchildren!

Why even try. Why didn't you tug his ear, smile and say softly - what a silly question!

Have you resisted using the exprerssion on him?