Does anyone own horses?

Options
Just curious as this is kind of an off the wall question but my fiance's dad just bought a horse and I have only been around it once before but he did not walk up to anyone else except me, (which I was utterly shocked and amazed) and he put his head on my shoulder and kept putting his nose in my face LOL. I figured that meant he liked me as he was still a fowl (think I misspelled that) anyway fast foreward 4 months and I went out to see him again tonight and thought surely he wouldve forgotten me, well I got in the stall with him and after just a few minutes its like we were good friends again lol, he put his entire head and neck over my shoulder and LEANED up against me while I was scratching him. Keep in mind that this horse has STILL not been broken and is still a baby, does this sound as if this horse likes me and may be partial to me or do you think I am getting my hopes up? I just love him lol!!!

Replies

• bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just curious as this is kind of an off the wall question but my fiance's dad just bought a horse and I have only been around it once before but he did not walk up to anyone else except me, (which I was utterly shocked and amazed) and he put his head on my shoulder and kept putting his nose in my face LOL. I figured that meant he liked me as he was still a fowl (think I misspelled that) anyway fast foreward 4 months and I went out to see him again tonight and thought surely he wouldve forgotten me, well I got in the stall with him and after just a few minutes its like we were good friends again lol, he put his entire head and neck over my shoulder and LEANED up against me while I was scratching him. Keep in mind that this horse has STILL not been broken and is still a baby, does this sound as if this horse likes me and may be partial to me or do you think I am getting my hopes up? I just love him lol!!!

I have horses. This is a sign of trust. Animals and babies can tell real personalities. Horses are really good about sensing people they trust. My horse is calm with Vets and everything if he can see me. If he cannot see me he gets very upset and scared. It means this horse really likes you. Not all horses like me. I have a friend who I do not see all the time but anytime her horse see's me he gets PISSED. It all depends on the horse and how you act and if your personalities click.
  • MissPriss30
    Options
    AWESOME! lol that's funny that her horse gets mad when he sees you they are such funny creatures. You never know if one of their previous owners may have looked like or been built like you and may have been mean to them or abused them etc. I am just in love with this horse and have been since day one! I was (like an idiot lol) wearing a pair of flip flops and he just about stepped on my foot as he kept walking toward me, ive never seen anything like this where a horse basically hugs you and lays his head over on your back it was the sweetest thing ever. I have been going through a lot lately and to know that basically a wild untrained horse was so sweet and liked me so much is liberating, inspiring, and almost a freeing of the soul ( I promise I am not a corn ball but it always brings tears to my eyes when he's done this lol) I think he must have been abused before because if you put your hand close to his face he flinches and pulls away very quickly and I think that is so sad because he could be the sweetest and most social horse ever with some time and patience and a LOT of TLC! Thank you for the response by the way :-)
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    We have a horse and i've been around horses my whole life and that is their way of saying they trust you and feel comfortable around you. Animals can tell who are good people and who aren't and i believe this 100% cause i've seen animals act different around people and then find out later they where not the right people to be around... I would take this time you have with this little horse and give him all the love and trust he's looking for from you!
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've done a bit of horse training and definitely see his behavior as a good sign. Also a lot of horses don't like their faces touched initially and it doesn't necessarily mean he was abused.
  • MissPriss30
    Options
    Yall are so sweet! Thank you so much, he is getting to be my little buddy, I however need to make sure that I wear gym shoes or boots that cover my toes the next time I go out to see him as he almost stomped my toe while in lala land and getting scratched LOL! It actually shocked me I felt his hoof brush by my big toe and look down to see it right in front of my FLIP FLOP lol my fault for not wearing proper shoes not his. He is the sweetest horse and I can't imagine him being mean or not respecting my territory. I think he is just skiddish and being a baby that is not use to being handled by lots of people im can only imagine that this is normal. The guy that is pretty much raising him will walk around with his arm thrown over his back as to prepare him for saddling I suppose? Odd, I thing I guess but whatever works for him lol !