Stretch Marks

Options
13»

Replies

• WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks will fade to silvery white over time, but they won't go away. The best thing I've used is self tanning lotion to make them less noticeable. My kids put them there, nothing I can do about it except try to disguise them a bit and just let it go. Not going to stop me from feeling fabulous when I hit my goal weight.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    ::sigh:: The reason I will never ever wear a bikini. But yes, they are still noticeable. As wifemama said, you can try to mask them but I think the trick is to just learn to accept them. I am working on that part. :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have a cool story for mine. Mine are just from growing or losing/gaining weight- and the weight I gained or lost was nothing significant. I didn't create life or anything special =:\ If I did, I wouldn't care so much because I'd have a good reason!

Don't sweat it! SO many people have stretch marks from gaining/losing weight. Take a look at practically every guy out at the pool or the beach. Almost every single guy I know has stretch marks from growth spurts and from gaining/losing weight. Most of my girlfriends without children also have stretch marks somewhere, thighs, hips, whatever from just weight and body changes. Even my 20 year old sister has stretch marks from weight changes and growth spurts. I know it's easier said than done, but don't worry about it...you're not in the minority here :)
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I have plenty from my first pregnancy with my twin boys and a ruined belly button. And I was slim and well trained at that time but my boys were 5.5 and 6.1 pounds. There was nothing I could do. And now after 15.5 years they are white and still there. I tried creams, oils, massage...and learned to live with the attitude that they are part of my life and that it was something awesome that made them. I have accepted them, since that I feel way better.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Once they turn white/silver, there's really nothing you can do because they have healed over. Does massaging vitamin E into a mole make it look any different? Nope... Unfortunately they are what they are.

I have some silver stretch marks on my thighs (horizontal, not vertical) from a really bad growth spurt when I was 12 or 13. they will be with me forever. I just recently started wearing bikinis that aren't boy shorts, and *gasp* apparently no one cared about my stretch marks except for me :)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Since I've lost weight (about 30 pounds) they are definitely not as noticeable, since they are thinner and not "stretched" out so much. mine are all on my love handle and upper outer thigh region. I just started using the Mederme stretch mark cream 1 week ago. I can't tell much yet, but it says you need 4 weeks to see results. The Mederma scar gel is fantastic! The stretch mark cream was $40, but if it works half as well as the scar gel, then it's worth it.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to clarify that i'm not getting surgery because I'm ashamed or hateful. I've actually had partners tell me that they think it's kind of sexy, because my skin is very soft andyou can't really see the marks so much as you can FEEL them. Like I had a unique texture lol

However, I figure if I'm going to invest in cosmetic/skinectomy procedures, I might as well cough up some change and get some of my scars and stuff removed as well. I mean, I get tired of having to explain why/how I got this or that, or how this scar or that spot is not health hazard.

Might I suggest that if you're worried about how it looks, get a sexy and sleek one piece, like a badass racing speedo or something, and look like a pro? I guess I never saw the point in bikinis anyway, unless you want to get ogled. I go to the pool to swim, and I like being seen as hardcore. LOL
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    After having my daughter, my belly looked like it got attacked by a cougar, but i continue my weight loss journey knowing that i will never see a bikini again, and im cool with that. I can rock the hell out of a one piece, even more so the vintage style ones. The loose skin is what im wondering about, where does that go? how can i tighten that? Or is that a loss cause as well?
  • mbw2586
    mbw2586 Posts: 88
    Options
    I haven't read through all the replies, but I'm sure there are others saying what I'm about to.

The timing of this post is perfect, as I wore shorts for the first time in years this past weekend. I have a ton of marks on my inner thighs and legs, and it has had me depressed for several years. I gained 75 pounds due to pregnancy and I could never accept that I wouldn't have the cute, little, stretch mark free body I did pre-pregnancy. I know this may not sound all that earth-shattering to you, but I would not even wear shorts in my own home. We took our children to the lake on Memorial Day and I just decided enough was enough. I bought some cute shorts, put them on and was pleasantly surprised at how I looked and the reaction I got from the guy. Once at the lake, let me tell you.....I didn't have a reason in the world to feel badly about myself. Other people were there in much worse condition in much less clothing and they were enjoying their lives. There will be no miracle cream or serum or fairy dust to get rid of them completely, so don't waste years being miserable (literally, it's hot in jeans in 93 weather!) and just be proud of your body and the work you've completed and will complete. Easier said than done, I know, but all truth.

P.S. if you find that miracle cream, please inbox me ;)
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Always had them, always will. At the age of 34 I am just now to a point where I will wear a sleeveless shirt out in public. I have them on my upper arms. And everywhere else for that matter. Popping out big ole 10lb+ babies did not help the situation either. After lots of support from my great MFP friends I finally realize that life is too short to worry about something that more than likely no one else is worried about or even cares about. So if ya got, flaunt it. Stripes and all!
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5-71ziM5c

THIS!!!!!!!!!!! EVERY ONE WATCH!
  • NicoleCelinee
    Options
    coconut oil !!!! simplest way to get rid of them fast!!! :)
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5-71ziM5c

THIS!!!!!!!!!!! EVERY ONE WATCH!

HAHA Love that!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I still have them on my hips and inner thighs. The ones on my hips seem more visible now than when I was tubby, but it might be from getting some sun they seem more profound than they really are. The ones on my inner thighs seem to be going away though
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • annmarwor
    annmarwor Posts: 7
    Options
    You guys are great! To the person who posted a pic of themselves, if I ever have a body like yours I don't think i'll care! You're stomach is like a washboard! :)

I need to just accept them. I like how you guys said to view them as scars, I never really thought of that. Im 25 and have never worn a bikini in my life, I am excited at the idea that I will be able to. Unfortunately, not this summer, but next.

Thank you guys!!!