LOW CARB DIET???

Options
2»

Replies

• ASAY139
    ASAY139 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have P.C.O.S too. I've done the South Beach Diet before and it was successful for me. I lost a little over 20 lbs and kept it off for about a month and then got pregnant. Like someone else said, once you get through the first 3 days, it's not too bad. Your carbs are only really restricted the first two weeks. I bought the book, read it, and tried to follow as closely as I could. It taught me a lot about carbs and the effect carbs/sugar have on my body.

I'm not strictly doing the South Beach Diet now, but I'm using the principles I learned from it (and many of the recipes). I've custom set my carbs/protein/fat ratio on MFP to be 40/30/30 and also try to keep my sugar to less than 40 g per day (including fruit). For me, it works best to eat my fruit in the a.m. hours so I have time to burn it off. Also, I notice a big difference when I eat low-low carb for my dinner and then don't eat anything after 6 p.m. (this is also because of my medication schedule).

Good luck!
  • ASAY139
    ASAY139 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have a book...think it's called "The New Glucose Revolution"...and it explains glycemic index (GI). Eating food with a low is really good for those of us with PCOS. Some foods with more carbs are considered low GI and help balance your blood glucose and insulin levels. I definitely recommend looking into information about glycemic index. It's also something my endocrinologist recommended.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hello, I also have PCOS. It isn't near to impossible to lose weight but it makes it much more difficult. Low Carbs help, Low GI foods help a lot. It is basically carbs and sugars you have to be limited on.

I havent heard of this diet but just make sure it is something you can stick to for good (with the slight hiccup here and there) because you don't want to pile it on afterwards.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    South Beach, Atkins, ect.... every person is different and results may vary with everyone. That stated, I went low carb but not with EITHER of the first two. I just cut out potatoes, rice, bread, cereals, pasta and 80% sugar. I stopped all soda as well, but not caffeine. Then to make sure I had LOTS of recipes, I hit the internet first (about.com had alot of good info) and found a book that I liked: 1001 Low Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender.

It explains alittle on what your are trying to do on a low carb diet, what foods you should look for and and what certain things should avoided. PLUS almost all the recipes are easy, require few ingredients and can be made daily with alittle planning.

I keep my carbs bwt 50 & 100. I've never managed to loose weight unless I starved myself (less than 1200 cals a day) and did massive amounts of exercise (4 hours). If i stopped, the weight flowed back like water.

Since I started, about 1.5 months ago, I've lost 25 pounds, have more energy and less stomache/gut issues.

Just remember one thing - THIS IS A LIFESTYLE change. Not a simple diet. If you loose all the weight you want, then go back to your old eating habits, you will gain everything back. This is why I didn't want to go with Atkins or SB, I wanted something maintainable and easily adaptable to my life or I knew that it wouldn't work long term.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also have a book...think it's called "The New Glucose Revolution"...and it explains glycemic index (GI). Eating food with a low is really good for those of us with PCOS. Some foods with more carbs are considered low GI and help balance your blood glucose and insulin levels. I definitely recommend looking into information about glycemic index. It's also something my endocrinologist recommended.

Brilliant little book!!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist recommended this diet for me and people who have a large middle. Metabolic syndrome. I do know it works though.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i don't understand your math on the protein bar. why don't you count the sugar alcohol?
    Some sugar alcohols, and I chose my words carefully, are not absorbed into the blood stream but pass through the GI tract and become a nuisance in the toilet area, so they make no difference to absorbed carbs. Others are absorbed as much as 50% so it all gets a bit messy.

http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm
  • Happyhappy352
    Happyhappy352 Posts: 153
    Options
    bump
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    SO I HAVE P.C.O.S AND MY DOC SAYS ITS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO LOSE WEIGHT WHEN YOU HAVE THIS, AND MOST PEOPLE HAVE SUCCESS IF THEY TRY A LOW CARB DIET SUCH AS SOUTH BEACH DIET. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS DIET... I NEED HELP!!! HAS ANYONE OUT THERE TRIED THIS LIFESTYLE . I HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT TO EAT AND HOW MUCH AND WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT IS BAD!!!!!

I was just told that I am Insulin Resistant so im right there with you except i don't have PCOS that Im aware of.
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The guy that created atkins died of a heart attack. Just sayin'

Why even comment when you have no clue what in the hell you are talking about.
  • judge51182
    judge51182 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have pcos and although weight loss is hard...its not impossible. I have been seeing a nutritionist for about 2 months and in that 2 monthas i have lost a total of 20lbs (not bad if i do say so myself)...the trick is not going low carb per se but to eliminate white flour and sugar. Eat whole grains (quinoa or anything with high fiber.) the trick is to look at the label and if it has 5 or more grams of fiber it generally ok...so i have been eating oatmeal quinoa brown rice etc for my carb intake. The next trick was to eat a total of 8 carb exchanges...and what i mean by that is every 15 grams of carbs in a food is 1 exchange for a total 8/day. do if you look at it as total carbs per day it equals about 120grams of carbs per day 15*8=120....sorry if this confused you and if you have any other questions just let me know!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

OP, there is a PCOS group. They may have very sound advice.

If by heart attack you mean, slipping on the ice and banging his head on the sidewalk in his 70s, then yes, he did.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Why even comment when you have no clue what in the hell you are talking about. You sound like an idiot.

I can't believe this rumor is still around.

Atkins' Death
    On April 8, 2003, at age 72, Dr. Atkins slipped on the ice while walking to work, hitting his head and causing bleeding around his brain. He lost consciousness on the way to the hospital, where he spent two weeks in intensive care. His body deteriorated rapidly and he suffered massive organ failure. During this time, his body apparently retained an enormous amount of fluid, and his weight at death was recorded at 258 pounds. His death certificate states that the cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma".

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkinsdiet/a/dratkinsdeath.htm
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    OP, here is an excellent website for lowcarb recipes.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't eat carbs at all outside of natural ones you get from fruits and veggies... No bread no pasta no rice nadda!!. If you want you can add me and look at my diary .. My friend told me I am doing the Paleo diet ... I didn't know what it was, but turns out that is what I am doing. You could look into that also for ideas.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I am prediabetic and have to be on a low carb diet or my blood sugar goes up and I end up feeling sick. I focus on making protein the main nutrient in each meal and choose smaller portions of anything carb related. I've given up juices and fruits and only occasionally eat a significant amount of breads and pastas.

My Dr said there is NO such thing as Pre-Diabetic, either you are a Diabetic or your NOT... No in between
  • tealfroglette
    Options
    I have pcos.

Low Carb helps, and the best books about low carbing for me were the protein power diet books, by the Dr.'s Eades, however, if you get only the first one, you must know that the docs who wrote it are not afraid to say, "HEY, we found out something new, we were wrong." They retracted all they ever said in the 'good' department for aspertame, aka nutrasweet, so don't make any foods with nutrasweet in them in their first book.
    Take the multi vitamin that fits your allergies to food and keep at it.

Essentially most lowcarb programs have 'three phases' The main idea is to lower your carbohydrate intake to 10 per meal for two weeks to lower your insulin metabolic response. After that, depending on your body and your weight and you reaction to the sugar from fruit and carbs, you can vary up to 60 recommended until you hit your target weight goal.

If you are already at that weight goal, check out your insulin response to foods and stop the spike in insulin that gives rise to all the PCOS components.

I have not found anything else that works for any of the actual people I know in real life with PCOS. (about 20.)

The other suggestions about Paleo and other low carb diet and low glycemic index are all spot on (IMHO) also. Find what works for you.