Vegan trouble staying in Calorie Goal and Exercising Issues

Options
emsnyc
emsnyc Posts: 16 Member
For the past year I've been on a vegan diet, though I've been vegetarian for 25 years. I've also lost up to 43 pounds, but now I am gaining some of that back. I have a lot of questions, but I will try and focus on this one issue. Because I want to build strength, even some muscle, I need to eat a decent amount of protein and increase it a bit. My problem is staying under calorie goal while doing this. I'm having a hard time figuring out what NOT to eat. This month has not been a typical month for me, as it included a lot of uncharacteristic dietary behaviors, i.e.: INDULGENCES... it was my birthday, vacation, etc. But I've been on track lately, it's just going to take some time to lose the few pounds that I gained.

It's not that I have to lose a lot, it's just that I'm running more, and trying to work out on a diet that leaves me feeling too weak sometimes. My old calorie goal doesn't seem to be high enough. Yet when I raise it, I seem to gain right away. Too fast for it to be muscle. When I eat under my calorie goal, I do not have enough protein and sometimes MFP will tell me I'm eating in the starvation range... so I will eat more to level it out and it's a whole vicious cycle. Again, I haven't gained a ton, but it's a definite climb and I'm starting to panic.

Any input about vegan protein sources for strength training, or even body building, or running would be great. Any discussion on effective pre-workout and post workout foods also much appreciated. I have the Brendan Brazier book "Thrive Foods," and am reading countless articles online, but would like to hear personal experience from people.

It's true I'm looking for advice, but please don't tell me to eat animal products. I'm posting here because I know that some people don't know about the Vegan groups... as I didn't until two minutes ago. Love to read all the posts on MFP... and see all the amazing achievements that people have made and the great support everyone gives one another. I'm new to the boards.

Replies

• 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you're running and doing strength work and MFP is telling you that you're in starvation mode there is something wrong. How many clories is MFP telling you to eat every day? As for protein sources; how do you feel about tofu? It's relatively low calorie and pretty good protein. Or maybe even the vegan boca burgers? I do believe it's like 70 calories for 13 or 14 grams of protein. That way you can up your protein while still maintaining calories. Other than beans and stuff I'm not really too sure about high vegan protein sources. I've heard that there are vegan protein powders but I have no idea how much they are or where to find them. I hope that something I said helped you.
  • emsnyc
    emsnyc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    And the thing is, I don't even log my exercise. For some reason, my trainer told me not to. I think because he senses that I will overeat and not watch the calorie count. I don't know.

I eat tofu, I love it. I can even it it plain... Especially firm tofu... love it! I have some Bocas in my freezer... for some reason I always forget about them! Thanks for the reminder... those are good. I use hemp, pea, rice and soy powders. Just got some Macha powder. So I'm working on it. I just have to figure out what percentage of my calories need to come from protein if I'm lifting weights and running. I also am afraid of not getting enough protein because if you don't, when you run a lot you can burn up your muscle gains.

Thanks for writing.