3-4 mile AM runners-do eat anything first?

Options

Replies

• JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I eat half a banana on my way to the run - only because I'm really hungry when I finish my run if I don't. Seems to work for me.
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For runs of just 3-4 miles first thing in the morning I usually don't eat anything. I like to get up and run right away and if I want to eat my body usually needs some time to digest. For that short of a distance I usually feel fine without eating. I would say do whatever your body is comfortable with :)
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I do one scoop of pre workout drink in 16oz of water. It's 'Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer'. It's very smooth and more like flavored water. I drink it before I get dressed or go to the bathroom cause it says to take 20 mins prior.

Do whatever is best for you.
  • janelle1993
    janelle1993 Posts: 128
    Options
    Well I heard it's always better to eat something before you exercise no matter what type of exercise it is because then your body is actually burning more calories, at least that was what I heard on Dr.Oz. Plus he said something about without eating first your body has no fuel to really burn as much calories as it would if you did eat before hand. My english professor was also an avid runner and did marathons and half marathons and he woiuld run like you except 5-6 miles and he said he always ate whole wheat bread with peanut butter and a little bit of honey which gave him energy but didn't make him feel nausiated or cramp when he would run. So I would recommend you eat before you run. Plus I don't know how long it takes you to run that distance but many nutritionists have told me to eat within 1/2 hour of getting up to really get your metabolism going and because your body has been essentially fasting during sleep so you need to feed it right away. Hope I helped you!
  • DianaSakai
    DianaSakai Posts: 5
    Options
    On long run days (5+ miles) I will eat a banana, wait about half an hour, then go. On shorter run days I usually don't eat anything. Just some water.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    It's all individual. It doesn't matter what a study says or some stupid TV guy says; you have to figure out what works for you. I can't do a fasting run at all. I'm hypoglycemic and I would be passed out on the road if I tried. I eat whole wheat toast with peanut butter or a banana 60 mins prior if I'm running in the morning. It's seldom bc I'm better in the evenings.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run everything on an empty stomach. From daily training runs to marathons.

I get crampy when I eat before I run.

Just figure out what works best for you.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I do not eat before I run. If I'm going to do a long run over 13 miles, I might have a little yogurt and a banana about an 1.5-2hours before, but even then, not always. It's a matter of personal preference really. If you are doing fine without it then continue what you are doing.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I only do 2-3 mile runs/jogs but sometimes I eat and sometimes I don't, just depends on how I feel that morning.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Normally for a run of that mileage I don't. Anything over maybe 8 miles and I eat some pnut butter toast about 45 minutes before my run.

I do this too, but I eat if it is over 6. Usually toast with PB
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer to eat something small about 15-30 minutes before I run. Most often, a plain bagel. That and a glass of water and I end up feeling considerably better on the road.

I usually do something like this, but certainly I run on empty at times. The only time I notice a problem is if my weeks overall have been low in fuel and or water. If my overall week is looking good it doesn't make too much of a difference.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I cycle 14 miles in hilly terrain to work in the morning (takes about 45 minutes to an hour, so probably similar to a 3-4 mile run) and I absolutely eat a little something (single slice of bread with cream cheese, small amount of oatmeal, something in the 100-200 calorie range). Otherwise my glycogen stores start out lower, and the hills end up being a LOT steeper for some reason.

I also refuel with a carb-and-protein snack afterward.

Go with how you feel, but I'd encourage you to experiment with a tiny snack at least and see if it works for you. If not, you're fine as long as you are drinking water and snacking or having breakfast afterward.
  • emgirls
    emgirls Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, funny you ask this morning. If I;m running in the morning I usually run after a few sips of juice and nothing to eat. This morning I woke up starving so I ate a small bite of something and eneded up in pain at mile 3...CRAMPS on my right side. It took a while to go away. Also, I could feel my breakfast snack jumping along with me for the frist 1/2 mile, it was a little uncomfortable. .:smile:
    But in the evenings when I run I HAVE to eat...I ususally wait 45 min to run after having something light usually a 1/2 banana and a slice of cheese, otherwise I don't have the energy to run and end up walking the whole way.
    You just have to try it out yourself and see what works. Good luck.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I run 5 miles to work and 5 miles home almost every shift and I never eat before I leave. I try to have something at the station to eat for breakfast, or I put breakfast in the car (A travel mug with creamer in the bottom, a bagel, and cream cheese usually) before I leave... my husband leaves for work about an hour after I leave for my run (we work in the same complex) and I just grab my stuff out of the car once he arrives in our parking lot.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I think you probably should eat something...Yes its a shorter distance but you have to remember your body has had nothing for 5-8 hours. You literally are empty. You need to start playing with some options, small nutritional things before running about 10-15 min prior. it doesn't have to be a lot 100-200 cals. Your body will thank you and you will feel better. Stomach issues can arise when its something that doesn't sit well with you early in the morning or from the vigorous exercise. so experiment with different things. Some fruit some, toast, a donuts :) ok a half a donut, coffee with cream and sugar.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I wake up ravenous, so I like eating something first thing, but that's regardless of whether I run or not. I usually have oatmeal, and I've never had issues, unless I go with something like dairy, because dairy NEVER works well with running.

Honestly, for 3-4 miles, it won't make a big difference for you to eat. That's not a long distance, and your body has enough stores glucose to manage that without extra food. Unless you're overall calories are too low, or you've done too many miles during the week and your muscle stores of glycogen are depleted from that, you shouldn't have any issues.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a piece of string cheese and drink some water.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything, even before my 20 mile runs. My stomach just doesn't process it well. I eat a gu or two on the run, but I take them over a long slow time, nothing instant, and then I can't eat for hours afterwards w/o feeling sick then too.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Supposedly if you do any form of vigorous (not moderate) exercise without a store of nutrients in your system you'll cannibalize your muscle along with the fat which is not a good thing. I don't know how much truth there is to it but it makes sense and for that reason I would never do any form of what I would call exercise (I don't do moderate activity and I wouldn't call it exercise if I did) on an empty stomach.

I do know that people who depend on coffee to get them going tend to become less tolerant of solid foods in the AM.

I don't know about other people but I cannot go for more than 2-3 hours without putting food in me anyway. If I go longer than that without some nutrient intake I start to get dizzy, light headed, and my fingertips become numb and shaky. I also keep a protein bar on me at all times just to satisfy this urge when it comes.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat. I feel sick if I do. I just drink some water and it's what works for me. I will eat some fruit and yogurt or something afterwards.