Tips for crushing that dessert craving HELP

Options
Anyone have any good tips for that "dessert craving"? For some reason I get a sweet craving after every time I eat. It's like I've trained my brain to think I need dessert after every meal. I need to UN train it. What do I do? Anyone else have this problem?

Sorry for typos. I'm on my phone.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having a little dessert, but I understand the need to break the habit. You could try to distract yourself until the craving passes, until you get out of the habit. Maybe instead of sweets you could have a cup of tea or coffee. I also find that almonds will satisfy a craving for sweets - I don't know if that works for everybody or just me though.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth. It helps a lot. Or clean my house. :drinker: :wink:
  • carmellaparker
    Options
    I chew sugar-free cinnamon gum after dinner to curb cravings (or really any flavor would work). Probably isn't the best strategy, but it works for me. ALSO though, I usually have a couple bites of dessert. 3 is enough, and satisfies my craving!
  • Chris_bee05
    Chris_bee05 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth. It helps a lot. Or clean my house. :drinker: :wink:

That's actually a good idea because I won't want to eat after I brush my teeth.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I get in another 20 mintues of cardio. I have a cup of vanilla greek yorgurt, eat raspberries and or have cup of coffee
  • getthin4life
    Options
    I have a cup of diet hot chocolate for 25 calories and then a fiber ones bar. Usually does the trick.
  • petes287
    petes287 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    short walk>green tea...then if it's still there, a small amount of DARK chocolate, 80% or higher
  • Sarahkittymeoww
    Options
    Ah! I have this type of craving ALL THE TIME. I have a killer sweet tooth. And although I totally agree with everyone who says you can have whatever you want, any time, IN MODERATION...personally, a big part of my fitness journey is about discipline and control over myself and body. So I have forced myself to find things to curb those cravings. Brushing teeth is a good one, especially at night time. Drinking a LARGE cup of water before I allow myself to snack, since it usually just completely diverts the urge. And of course, choosing a healthier option when I want to snack, like walnuts as opposed to cookies - even if it means getting the crap food out of my house except for on occasions.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I don't keep stuff in the house. If I want it badly enough to load up 2 kids and go to the store, then I have it. Believe me that rarely happens.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I got into a eating-while-studying habit that was tough to break. Now I usually choose decaf green tea (unsweetened). It gives me something to do with my hands and my mouth and the tea is supposed to be very good for you. So, I guess the point is you have to consciously make a new habit--drink green tea like me, go for a walk after you eat, brush your teeth, play with the dog.....anything that will divert you from your old habit.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I had that problem tonight. But I happened to have some fresh pineapple. Yum. But brushing your teeth also helps.
  • lolo406
    lolo406 Posts: 71
    Options
    I turn to healthier sweets such as fruits or even protein bars, they're just a regular part of my diet on a usual day but they are what keep me from feeling like I need to eat a whole cake lol. I've really been into homemade fruit smoothies lately with protein powder and switching up what kind of fruits i use, they're sweet enough to curb the "need." Also, sometimes just a swig of chocolate milk will do the trick if I'm really wanting real creamy goodness hehe but then there are the times an ice cold glass of water will do it all on its own. You will find what works for you!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Lately for me, blackberries and granny smith apples seem to do the trick. :)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I keep tiny squares of very dark, very good chocolate on hand for just such an occasion. A couple squares is only 50 calories and takes care of the craving. And then I brush my teeth. If I'm at work I eat a couple Altoids or a Listerine strip. I had my treat and the mint tells my brain I'm done eating.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    there are a few different things i do depending on when it is and what my calories/macros look like for the day.... if i have room and want dessert i usually either have a hersheys dark chocolate bar or emeralds dark chocolate almonds..... if i dont want to eat yet i chew gum or drink some water with a zero sugar flavoring packet. otherwise i reguarly have "snacks" i just make them healthy. i love greek yogurt with a bit of slenda and some bluberries... peanut butter toast(i use ezekiel bread and natural PB) i make a protein pancake that i like to top with truvia and cinnamon or a chocolate protein shake. hope this helps :smile:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Take a bite then throw the rest away. I know I know, world hunger and what not and its terrible to waste food. Over eating is wasting it anyway
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i put dessert small shot glass and go at it with a spoon....it satisfies my craving, sometimes the taste is all i need!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: alcoholic alert ;)
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I find that having a stash helps. Since I'm doing low carb/high fat, I have things like sugar-free cheesecake (that I made myself), portioned out in my freezer. If I have the macros to spare, and I want a treat, I have a treat! if I only have a few calories, but am craving a treat, I go for ONE piece of high % cocoa chocolates, lately my two faves are Divine's 70% cocoa with Raspberries, and Lindt's Ecuador (also 70%).
    If you constantly deny yourself you're more likely to go crazy on a binge. I like to think I have pretty good willpower, but part of that might be that treats aren't off limits.
  • Sarahkittymeoww
    Options
    Oh, also! I don't know if you enjoy reading but if you do...just choose a good book and sit while you're feeling the urge to snack. If I'm reading something that I'm really into, I won't snack because it's too much trouble to eat, turn the pages, wipe off my hands, etc. I practically starved while I was getting through The Hunger Games trilogy.
  • katiepie111
    katiepie111 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i just have what i want in moderation - normally every second day (sometimes everyday) i have chocolate, or a slice of some kind, or even a little bit of full fat icecream. i seem to be losing weight on it. - however may have to change as i get closer to my goal