Challenges of a Fat Belly & Fitness

Options
This might be graphic and unimaginable to some people on here who are only looking to increase their thigh gap, to lose a little bit of baby weight chub, or those looking to tone up or even gain weight. But for the very large, especially people like me, with more than 100lbs to lose, this might be common. Having a large belly makes certain exercises much more challenging. I've always had the lower belly pouch that pokes out and now that I'm 316lbs, it's certainly filled out nicely. Even when I'd lost about 80lbs in the past, it was still there- smaller and looser. At any rate, I find certain poses and activities to be rather challenging, such as the "Child's Pose" in yoga. This is supposed to be one of the most comfortable poses, however due to the extra flesh around my midsection, this pose is extremely uncomfortable.

15fj7uc.jpg

With a simple modification, I am able to do this pose at least somewhat comfortably. Other poses are simply impossible to do. Another thing that is actually extremely embarrassing to admit is that when I jump or jog I can actually HEAR my stomach slapping against my legs. It's quite disgusting. Things like that make me not want to run or jump, but I'm trying to not let it deter me.

Do you have a portly tummy? How do you deal with the challenges we face?

Replies

• angelicarubi
    angelicarubi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well said, people on here that are just looking to be thinner than they are and only get shed 20lbs or less do not understand our problems nor our humor!
  • dontstopmenow87
    Options
    Wear something really snug under your normal workout clothes. I used to wear a pair of men's under armor shorts and that helped alot...You can also find some things in the underwear section of stores that is menan to hold in the tummy that will make working out much more comfortable.
  • lyndyb88
    lyndyb88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    agree with idea of wearing something snug under the workout clothes...i hate that when i'm working out (i.e. riding the bike) my huge belly gets in the way...i can't wait to lose enough weight that it goes away...and am almost certain that eventually it will come down to skin removal surgery...
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use to wear a belly band around my belly because it was uncomfortable I picked it up off eBay for $7 and that worked great till my belly was a bit smaller :)
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'll tell ya what really sucks! All this hard work and effort and be able to wear what us larger people consider a normal size and STILL have the belly issues just like you describe! Its gotten smaller and therefore I do feel more flexible, but I can still hear it slap!
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think running is a really good way to lose weight, but I understand the challenges to bigger people.

Have you ever tried footfires? You can do it at home and it's a really good burn

Here's what they look like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P6qmqKggNM
  • JensQi
    JensQi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well Said I have the same problem but seem to overcome it...and go for it anyhow, Just think we are moving that's what counts..:smile:
  • JensQi
    JensQi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Footfires?humm ;-) gonna check that out thanks..;-)
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I think running is a really good way to lose weight, but I understand the challenges to bigger people.

Have you ever tried footfires? You can do it at home and it's a really good burn

Here's what they look like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P6qmqKggNM

Those are an excellent way to hear thigh slaps.

I agree with the others - Spanx or similar will hold everything in tight for less slapping... or what I like to call spontaneous applause.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I bought compression capris because now that I have more energy and am doing the higher intensity jumps, I pulled something on the left side of my abs. Gotta keep that shnizz in place! I was wishing I'd worn them for Relay for Life a couple weeks ago, because I was sprinting the last quarter of each lap for a while, and as it got later and less people were on the track, I could hear the slapping! :ohwell:
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Gurl, I so hear u on this. I just try to find alternative ways to do the exercise the best I can. If its impossible, ill research another exercise that works the same place, but is easier to do. Soon, tho, we won't have this problem!!!!!
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - Spanx or similar will hold everything in tight for less slapping... or what I like to call spontaneous applause.

^^^ love this
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    bumped to read later and I'll be running to this problem as i just started yoga
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Hahaha! I hate the sound of "slapping skin" and certainly don't want others to hear it. I wear something form fitting under my work out clothes. Skin removal surgery is a real possibility for me now.
  • heb12one
    heb12one Posts: 9
    Options
    Blah, I hate that. I wear tighter clothing too, to help things compress a bit and not be so jiggly it grosses me out. I have to say I just can't/don't run yet, but it is one of my goals. When I do zumba or anything other than walking, I squish my belly (and come to think of it, my boobs) info a tighter pair of pants or work out bra, and then wear something more normal-looking on top, lol. I'm laughing at myself as I type this, gotta love fat humor, eh?

And I'm with some of the others who said, it's just for now. You are one the move and that is an awesome thing! Thanks so much for sharing this honest post! I am so new to MFP but I am SO loving it! Where else could you have a convo like this? LOVE it.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with the sound of the belly flapping, I was mortified to do jumping jacks all through gym class, now I run outside on a country rode with me and my dog so no one has to hear it, and everyday it gets just a little bit smaller, and I have tried yoga and find it extremely challenging as well so I do more tae bo to relax then yoga
  • beefolks
    beefolks Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons why I started weight loss is because I learned I qualify for a pendiculectomy (sp?), paid for by my insurance company. If you can prove certain things, you can get that tummy flap removed. I have a surgery date set in September, I'm hoping to drop a total of 40 pounds by then (started in March)! I know other parts of me will shrink up eventually, like my thighs and butt. I have always been a good healer, I had triplets and it is amazing how much my skin shrunk up afterwards. But that tummy flap will never go away!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love the "spontaneous applause" statement! I know exactly what you are talking about. I exercise mostly at home, so no one else hears it, but it is a bit off-putting even for just me to hear it. Everytime it happens, I think, "How could I let this happen?" Oh well, just gotta keep pushing. Eventually, I would like to start doing yoga, but until some of this adipose is outta the way, it ain't happening! The last time I tried sun salutations I thought I was gonna die!