Salad Dressing....help!

Options

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Marie's yogurt dressings? They are SO good! I really like the feta cheese one. Most of them seem to be about 70 calories for 2 tbs.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the lighter version by the same manufacturer? Honestly, 2tbsp of full fat dressing is fine, as long as you're staying in your calorie goals for the day.

Maybe this is just me, but low fat/fat free dressings seem so full of chemicals.

I say you are doing just fine with the normal Ranch!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem was I REFUSE to eat fat free dressings. THEY ARE ALLLLL Gross! lol So I understand your need for full fat. With that said.... My alternatives are:
    Marzetti Light Balsamic ( sold in the produce section)
    Roasted Red Pepper Italian (only 2 grams of fat)
    Kens lite Caesar ( tastes exactly like original and way less fat and cals)
    Wishbone Greek
    Wishbone Red Wine Vinegarette :) YUM! The light version is equally as good!

For Ranch, I always use full fat! And Hidden Valley is the way to go! lol
    BUT, for veggie dips, I buy the ranch packets, and make them with light Daisy sour cream... it tastes WAY better as a dip and BARELY has fat and cals. :) Good luck!
  • syrhius
    syrhius Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Bolthouse Farms Classic Ranch Yogurt Dressing. It's only 45 calories for a 2 Tbsp serving. I also really like their Honey Mustard Yogurt Dressing - it's also 45 calories per serving, but has less sodium. :)
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love love love Renee's Dressings. They are kept in the refrigerated area- they taste great and have no preservatives. If you like Hidden Valley, try Renee's Yogurt Peppercorn Ranch and Roasted Garlic Caesar. They are just as creamy and delicious!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I just use balsamic vinegar with a bit of olive oil ( sometimes I skip the olive oil ) but I love vinegar so it might not be for everyone lol
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This one looks good.:smile:

Low-Calorie Creamy Balsamic Salad Dressing

Recipe type: Salad Dressing Author: Paula Prep time: 5 mins Total time: 5 mins Serves: 3/4 cup

A low-calorie dressing with nonfat Greek yogurt as the base. Light on fat, heavy on flavor.
    Ingredients

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon light soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tablespoon honey
    3 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt (may substitute regular nonfat yogurt but finished product will be a little different)
    1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.

Directions

Mix well. Store in refrigerator.
    Calories: 62 Fat: 4 g Carbs: 6 g
    Notes
    Makes 8 servings/2 tablespoons each.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    1)
    I love Ken's steakhouse light blue cheese which is still a splurge for me other light blue cheese are lighter, and none of them are as "clean" as I'd like, but once in a while.

2)
    I never measure, but I make a viniagrette with Orange juice, Olive oil and ginger and a splash of lime if you have it.
    oh, yum really refreshing. I love it on a green salad with seafood and some avocado.

If you put the OJ in a food processor and add the EVOO s l o w l y sometimes you can get it to emulsify, so that it doesn't separate. But I don't have the technique down so it's hit or miss when I try.

3)
    Also plain yogurt with mustard, dill and a thin it with milk until you get a good consistency. (If you;re using dried dill, make it ahead of time so it reconstitutes)

4)
    EVOO, White vinegar, Soy sauce, ginger, garlic, pepper, paprika.
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    the wishbone spritzers are great! Doesn't hurt to try!
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am need of some suggestions for salad dressings. The ONLY dressing I will use is full fat Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing. My favorite!!! I LOVE it! I use it for salads and as a veggie dip. I do only use the 2 T. serving size and sometime only 1 T. I justify it that if I'm going to get my veggies in (I'm not a veggie lover) that I can at least use the dressing I like IF I do not overdo it. I do not plan to completely give up my favorite dressing, but I would like to find some alternatives. Dressing that may be a bit better for you and/or lighter in calories and fat.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

I was just reading in Men's Health and Nutrition Guide that low fat dressings are a scam, they do have less fat, but and way more sugar so they still taste good, so go with moderate amounts of full fat dressing or dressings made with olive or canola oil.
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't use any. sometimes I do a little salt and pepper but that's it
  • Cillasi
    Cillasi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try a Shepherd's salad. Dice cucumber (seeds removed), tomato (seeds removed), bell pepper, red onion, black or kalamata olives, parsley or oregano (add or remove elements as you wish). Dress with cider vinegar, olive oil, and lemon.

It's so different from regular salad that your brain won't be expecting (or miss) the Ranch dressing. It's quite refreshing. There are plenty of recipes for it on the web.

You might find it easier to incorporate other dressings in your normal salads after a few Shepherd's salads.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Adding my nod to Bolthouse dressings. I love the Blue Cheese and Ranch. They are a bit more expensive than hidden valley, but its also a bit thinner and I don't drown my food with it any more (sauces were my weakness!) it last a lot longer. Marie's yogurt blue cheese dressing is also really good, but about 70 cals per serving compared to the 45 of Bolthouse.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Why don't you just use the dressing that you like if you can fit it into your calories. I don't really understand the need to replace every little thing. If eating that dressing means you enjoy a nice salad, so be it.
  • Shellyeubanks
    Options
    I am a huge ranch lover myself and I found this dressing a few weeks ago and LOVE it
    http://www.marzetti.com/products/cardinis/salad-dressings/light-fat-free-salad-dressings/cardinis-light-caesar-vinaigrette-dressing-12-oz.htm

It's low in fat, sugar and carbs and taste great, doesn't taste like low fat dressing at all.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    Adding my nod to Bolthouse dressings. I love the Blue Cheese and Ranch. They are a bit more expensive than hidden valley, but its also a bit thinner and I don't drown my food with it any more (sauces were my weakness!) it last a lot longer. Marie's yogurt blue cheese dressing is also really good, but about 70 cals per serving compared to the 45 of Bolthouse.

Another vote for Bolthouse. I love it when I want to change it up from oil and vinegar.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Walden farms as 10 dressings to choose from. All zero cals...my fave is the thousand island. The ramch is good too.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My favorite ranch is kraft light 3 cheese ranch. It's probably higher in sodium, but I usually come in under my sodium anyway, so I don't worry too much about it. Currently I'm working on a bottle of Ken's Steakhouse light ranch that is really good, too.
  • salegrosso
    Options
    I understand why you love your dressing: you could still use it, perhaps the 1Tblspon amount, and add a bit of your favorite vinegar (red wine, or tarragon) do help coat the salad and spread your ranch further.