Taking a rest period from exercise

Options
Well, the extra long weekend is approaching and all I'm doing is worrying about the fact I can't exercise for 3 days while I have a mini break away!! I work out hard 6 days a week and have done for months, but am so worried all my hard work will be undone!!I have read it is important to take a break, even a full week or two, and that you come back stronger!!I guess I'm just looking for your thoughts and to help ease my mind a bit that it will be ok!!Cant help thinking that by Wednesday with not being able to work out I will just lose all my muscle tone and be a flabby mess again lol!!Any experiences greatly appreciated!! Thank-you!!:l

Replies

• ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I work out six days a week and have for about 3 months. I recently took a few days off and my body rewarded me by busting me out of a month long plateau and dropping 2.5 pounds :) enjoy it, relax and renew!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    every 4-5 months i take a complete week off. it's good to do if you lift weights since that time off allows things other than your muscles to repair. when i take the week off, i usually just do easy walks in the park or splash around the pool, but it's never anything as planned and timed as my regular workout
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing the exact thing this week as it was a long weekend last weekend - after a few months of exercising, your body needs a break.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Well, the extra long weekend is approaching and all I'm doing is worrying about the fact I can't exercise for 3 days while I have a mini break away!! I work out hard 6 days a week and have done for months, but am so worried all my hard work will be undone!!I have read it is important to take a break, even a full week or two, and that you come back stronger!!I guess I'm just looking for your thoughts and to help ease my mind a bit that it will be ok!!Cant help thinking that by Wednesday with not being able to work out I will just lose all my muscle tone and be a flabby mess again lol!!Any experiences greatly appreciated!! Thank-you!!:l

I wouldn't worry about it, a day or two won't undo everything.

When it comes to intentional week long breaks it may not be best to take a 100% break but do what's called a deload and just do some light and very low intensity exercise.
  • fionamc74
    fionamc74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone!! They are really helping!!Going to keep reading them when I start panicking over the weekend!!:)!!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to undo your progress, that short of a break won't do it. For example I know someone who took 3mo off of lifting and now his muscles have turned to flab. I feel bad for him too....I remember when he used to love working out, and was getting pretty big too..now he is big in a bad way.
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am fretting at the moment for the same reason I normally run every other day but can't at the moment due to problems with my IT band Ive been told to rest until the inflamation has gone and no pain ....it's absolutly killing me and I have a healthy appetite so I'm worried about gaining whilst having a rest. I think you should be ok if its only a few days :)