Low Carbs high Cals?

Options
Any moderate carbers (I aim to stay between 80-100 a day less if possible) that lost weight staying in this carb range and having 1400-1500 calories a day? Im just curious if anyones had success.. I see alot about upping calories on this site.. I just cant stay at 1200 I feel like im depriving myself and than when I let my self eat a little something unhealthy I end up binging on it cause im so starving.. :noway: I have had success dropping 50+ lbs last year but and started back this year losing about 20lbs but than I feel off the wagon and now im trying to get back on its so hard but I need to I feel so gross! I can barely breathe I feel so heavy ugh Im just so darn upset with myself for losing time.. slowly getting back on track today was my first day back logging and taking walks at work..

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    That's what I had done. I'm maintaining now so my calorie intake is higher and I have much more frequent "cheat" meals, but most days, I stay under 100g of carbs and around 1800 calories (it was closer to 1600 when I was still losing).

Worked for me! :flowerforyou:
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    That's what I had done. I'm maintaining now so my calorie intake is higher and I have much more frequent "cheat" meals, but most days, I stay under 100g of carbs and around 1800 calories (it was closer to 1600 when I was still losing).

Thats so nice to hear!! Okay great Im much more motivated now lol Ive been feeling so down since I let myself "go" this past month but I know I'll be fine once I break the nasty habits and start sticking to this new goal.. much more attainable.. Did you eat your excercise cals back?
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Thats so nice to hear!! Okay great Im much more motivated now lol Ive been feeling so down since I let myself "go" this past month but I know I'll be fine once I break the nasty habits and start sticking to this new goal.. much more attainable.. Did you eat your excercise cals back?

I walk a lot, but haven't really done a ton of "exercising" other than lifting weights, and that burns practically no calories.

When I first started and was gun-ho, yes I did eat my exercise calories back. But now I figure I'm moderately active with my walking and other stuff we do, so I raised my calorie intake to close to my BMR+energy level and figure that's the same thing. I've heard great things about eating at the BMR+calorie range of your goal weight, so that might work too!
  • looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eat a balanced diet around 150 g carbs per day, I try to choose higher fiber carbs, ,ie whole wheat pasta brown rice, beans , I read one of jillian michaels books years ago and it told me I was a balanced oxidizer here is a link if you want try try the test yourself http://luckytastebuds.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/oxidizer-test-from-jillian-michaels/ I have lost every week since january except 2 when I know I over indulged.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I got back into low carb eating two weeks ago after totally plateauing. I've lost 3lbs since then by eating to my BMR (1540) plus 50% of exercise calories and eating between 50g-100g of carbs a day.

Seems to be working for me and is really managable.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I got back into low carb eating two weeks ago after totally plateauing. I've lost 3lbs since then by eating to my BMR (1540) plus 50% of exercise calories and eating between 50g-100g of carbs a day.

That sounds good to me :-) My BMR is about 1600 right now.. im doing 1500 not planning to eat my exercise cals back only because I just walk for the most part.. Im planning to add the 30ds back into my routine but I need to get a few lbs off first its very uncomfortable flapping all over the place when Im this heavy lol
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

That sounds good to me :-) My BMR is about 1600 right now.. im doing 1500 not planning to eat my exercise cals back only because I just walk for the most part.. Im planning to add the 30ds back into my routine but I need to get a few lbs off first its very uncomfortable flapping all over the place when Im this heavy lol

Ha ha! Totally sympathise. I've started doing the C25K and wear my hiking gear for the jogs (combat trousers and T-shirt) as they are baggy enough to hide everything that jiggles. I dream of the day I can wear running leggings instead!
  • Cottagemaid
    Options
    I have done low-carbing in the past. Worked great as long as I stuck to it lol. However, I find that long-term it`s just not working for me, I started falling off the "LC Wagon" with increasing frequency... and now (well last monday anyway :-D) I was at my heaviest ever.
    I now "tandem" MFP + Glycemic Loading and lost 1.1kg in the last 4 days.
    I know it`s early days, but I feel a lot better already. Also having a slice of really good bread with breakfast for example makes all the difference. AND "having a meal or a day off" doesn`t have the same disastrous impact which true low carbing has (with me anyway).
    Mon 1663 cals / 193g carbs / (146 exercise cals )
    Tues 1295 cals / 154g carbs / (88 exercise cals )
    Weds 1606 cals / 132g carbs / (223 exercise cals )
    Thurs 1882 cals / 207g carbs / (192 exercise cals )

Would love to hear from anyone who`s tried this ...
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots of success, though I'm a bloke and not a small one (193cms, 90kgs) so my cals and carbs are higher than yours at 1900 and 130g but proportionally it's probably equivalent.

It's a very manageable plan as you say. I don't struggle with hunger, the meals are satisfying and it's easy to stick to long term.

I take carbs spread over the day too. I find this controlled and even intake satisfying. It also has the benefit of keeping water levels even so I never have that experience of jumping up a kg or more one day to the next.

I tend to do Sunday thru Friday like this with Saturday off the calorie restriction.
  • Cottagemaid
    Options
    That`s really encouraging. I`ve got 40+ lb to loose...
    I spread my carbs fairly evenly over the day and choose "really good ones". I find my meals much more satisfying this way, don`t struggle with hunger/bingeing and my moods are improving too.

I find your point on the water levels really interesting, I never thought about that.

Hoping to up my exercise too, just ordered a Pedometer for motivation as I love walking,but again, "this time" I want things to be sustainable in the long term, not some quick-fix.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thats alot like what I do. But I cycle mine a little. I try to have 3 Low days of 30g. Then a couple of 75-100g and a couple of 150-175g days a week. I never have two low days together and I never have two high days together.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    My macros for a few months were at 100c, 60f and 125 protein. That put me about 1450ish calories daily... I did fine :) At first it even helped me gain a little muscle :D
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

I find your point on the water levels really interesting, I never thought about that.

I'm a bit of a data junkie and I like to weigh in daily. I find it interesting (geek). I find my weight fairly predictable using this kind of diet. It'll go up maybe 1 to 1.5kgs on a Sunday after a good old Saturday feed. Fall half a kg monday, same tuesday, then maybe 0.2 a day afterwards for a 0.6-0.8kgs net loss for the week Friday to Friday. Exercise certainly impacts that though, making the water leave quicker if I do more than normal.