Peanut butter is my crack

Options
Hey everyone. I just wanted some opinions in regards to the ever so tasty peanut butter. Jiff regular creamy to be exact ;).
I am new to MFP. Joined two wks ago. I was looking at my food log at work and a coworker/friend of mine took notice. I was talking to him about MFP and all the great info I found. I mentioned to him I had been trying to eat healthier blahblahblah and mentioned that for breakfast I ate steel cut whole grain oats with 2 tbsp of peanut butter mixed in. He all but laughed in my face!! He said, and I quote, 'Why even try to eat healthy if you're just going to eat that junk with it? You're wasting your time'. My jaw dropped. Not only was this pretty rude (in my opinion) but it isn't like I sit in a dark corner with a jar of Jiff and eat the whole thing!! I simply incorporate it into some of my meals and snacks. Example: I mix in the serving amount with my oatmeal or spread a tbsp or so on an apple or banana. What gives? I don't eat it everyday and I'm pretty responsible with watching the serving amount.
Is regular peanut butter a sin? Do I need to give up my only vice when it comes to my diet? lol! Any info would help. Thanks!! :happy:

Replies

• MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    That guy is a rude idiot. I suggest not talking to him anymore.

It's calories in vs calories out.

Count calories and cut back where you need to and forget about talking to this guy again.

Oh and BTW I misread your title - many lol's for me. :D
  • AmyLyn1983
    AmyLyn1983 Posts: 100
    Options
    lol yeah I noticed how it could be misread after posting! thanks for the tip :laugh:
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Nut butters are a staple of mine. :) Peanut butter in Asian soups, peanut butter and fruit, peanut putter + whole grain breads, peanut butter and baby carrots...I can't imagine going without it.

MFP _has_ shown me how calorie dense nuts and nut butters are. (I hadn't thought of it before, and I was eating _a lot_ of nuts at one sitting before I started paying attention to serving size, lol.) I consider peanut butter a healthy choice for me, especially compared to the sweet choices I used to make.

I've switched to organic or all natural nut butters--you may want to look into those, too. They do not have hydrogenated oils. The texture is different from Jiff; the oil separates. (I don't mind stirring though.)

I just wanted to pop in and say "Yeah!" for peanut butter. :)
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ignore the ignorance. You're doing just fine. Peanut butter is just fine its the amount of it you eat that will harm your weight loss efforts.
  • Bennettjade
    Options
    No way! Peanut butter should have it's place in any diet. My favorite "last snack of the day" is just 2 tbl of pb. It is SO heavenly! I won't completely deprive myself of foods like that I love, instead just watch how MUCH I eat of it. I love MFP for teaching me that!
    BTW, my favorite pb is Natural JIF...WOW...I honestly have never tasted anything better!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    He sounds like an idiot: ignore him.

IMHO no foods are bad or a sin. If you can fit a food into your daily cals allowance you'll hit your goals. If you can fit a food into your cals allowance and hit your macros tagets (Protein/Carb/Fat) even better.
  • Katy285
    Katy285 Posts: 18
    Options
    OMG, that guy obviously doesn't know much about junk food or healthy food! hahaha idiot!
    Peanut butter is not junk food at all but you shoud consider to opt for organic peanut butter, below is a link for some organic peanut butters that you should really look into buying. ;)

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/food/best-natural-peanut-butter-00000000009004/index.html
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    He sounds like an idiot: ignore him.

IMHO no foods are bad or a sin. If you can fit a food into your daily cals allowance you'll hit your goals. If you can fit a food into your cals allowance and hit your macros tagets (Protein/Carb/Fat) even better.

This ^^^ This guy knows the score xx
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I definitely thought this said "Peanut butter is in my crack" and I was all, "Are you hitting on me?" Anyway, that guy is an a-hole; however, I don't like the Jif types of peanut butter with the added sugars. I prefer Whole Earth or similar unsweetened versions. Still, you're learning portion sizes and that's great. Screw him.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of PB and I agree; I'm addicted. However if you don't want to go organic; sorry I tried and I didn't care for it; jiff has a reduced sugar and sodium one that tastes wonderful. The macros compare well up against any natural PB too.
  • cravingcollarbone
    Options
    I basically lived off of peanut butter & apples for weeks.
    ... It never got old! :)
    I miss it. :[
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    That guy is a rude idiot. I suggest not talking to him anymore.

It's calories in vs calories out.

Count calories and cut back where you need to and forget about talking to this guy again.

Oh and BTW I misread your title - many lol's for me. :D

All of my thoughts. You said them for me.
  • Charmander191
    Options
    peanut butter is amazing.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I never had peanut butter until I was an adult as it was not eaten in my family when I was growing up. I never really developed a taste for it much although I do not dislike it. I am now seeing it in a lot of recipes for flavouring in healthy cookies. I also see it as low fat peanut butter which seems to get a bit of criticism!! I realise that in moderation this is not unhealthy but want to be eating as healthy as possible. Which kind do I go for..........
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with PB in my book. Lots of people have lots of opinions about what is and what isn't healthy though- including here on MFP.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a Vegan, so nuts are my friends and one of my main sources of protein and fat. I eat a lot of peanut butter especially when I am doing endurance sport. The fact that it is quick to digest high in calories and full of protein is great.

A person first of all need to balance macronutrients: fats, carbs & proteins. 30, 55, 15 as total percentages, unless you have special needs due to medical conditions or activity levels. There is no such thing as junk food! It depends on the activity you do, and your lifestyle.

As a general rule you should avoid process food, this has most of the fibre taken out, has a lot of simple sugars, is usually high in saturated fat, and the proteins are quickly and easily digested! What you need is high fibre food, which is good for your bowels and makes you feel full (satiated). You also want to eat complex carbohydrates as these ensure you have a balanced sugar level in your blood stream, rather than processed food which gives you sugar peaks making you feel hungry soon after you have eaten.

The problem with Jif as a source of peanut butter is that it high high in sugar :( That does not make it wrong just you might be better eating another kind of peanut butter with less sugar in it... I personally eat in store brands of peanut butter which aren't much different to Jif, but then I do a lot of cardio so it balances up in the end.

I am afraid that your rude and irritating co-worker is a little right, but as others have said mostly wrong!
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is you are doing something that works for you. You are eating peanut butter and you are losing weight.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have been the victim of your first "bro science" attack. Until you see documentation that he has medical type training, everything that comes out of his mouth is subject to verification...
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is my crack, too. I used to be hooked on pure sugar, but now I have transitioned to pb. At least you can still score it at the store and don't have to buy it on the streets! :flowerforyou: I quit smoking about 6 months ago, but can't figure out how to smoke pb.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    PB isnt a nut btw its a legume :)