Fellow Brits how are you going to survive Jubilee weekend?

Options

Replies

• laurapeepee
    Options
    I'm working late shift through all the celebrations so the only thing I have to avoid is drowning my misery in chips whilst watching other people enjoy their bbq's and cider and ice :(
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym and enjoying spending some quality time with my daughter and partner
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    are you suggesting that the Queen's coronation 60 years ago was a deliberate attempt to ensure it coincide with the London 2012 olympics? As a conspiracy theory that takes some beating.

Did we win the Olympics because of the diamond jubilee. Don't believe that either although I am sure it featured.

The Queen was crowned in February 1952 so she has been Monarch for 60 years, not 59, and unlike Queen Victoria, didn't have the Diamond Jubilee moved.

I wonder how far you will get in educating the stupid people?

Have a great summer though, perhaps you can look to emigrating to a nice country like the USA, where they don't have a monarch, providing of course you wont object to them celebrating the 250th anniversary of the declaration of independence in 2026!

:flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile: hear hear. bugger off :laugh: :laugh: :smile:
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Just another weekend

This.

We have no plans to join in any of the so called celebrations. The weekend will consist of getting our old car ready to sell.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    One thing I love about us Brits, bloody miserable through and through!
  • Deka61
    Deka61 Posts: 74
    Options
    Just another weekend - NOT - it's 4 days long!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps for you it is. I'm self employed, and will be working Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, as my customers expect to have their "deliverables" on time. So its just another weekend for me.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm going to drink, dance & be merry! :laugh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Have some bratworse those germans love it. Low carb is the only way

Ah, you gave me a genuine smile to end my day, I thank you :)

I am an English expat in Oz so we have a big monarchy/republican divide. It's amusing to watch and I can happily reside in the latter camp.

To be absolutely honest I did not realise it was some special weekend.

I might celebrate with some rashers of particularly high fat bacon :)
  • Deka61
    Options

Not really, some of us up North never see the monarchy or the point of it. It just re-enforces a system of privilege and rank. Oliver Cromwell should have ensured there was no Charles the II, and got rid of it once and for all.

btw we don't need an excuse to party up here :)
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have decided to stop calorie counting for the WEEK. I suppose it is easy to make that decision as I reached my main goal (to have a healthy BMI) last week, so I can just do a maintenance week and then return to the hard work, as I do want to loose a few more pounds, but if there is one thing I have learned whilst on this diet it is that it is OK to indulge (within reason) sometimes as it helps you keep up the diet over a longer period.
  • kasman123
    kasman123 Posts: 3
    Options
    I can see this weekend being a failure for me, doubley so as its also my sisters 40th birthday party! Will make an extra effort next week with extra cycle runs and I'll have to work extra hard at taekwondo too.

I'd say for everyone to just enjoy the Jubilee weekend. You've all been doing really well with this excellent program so why not treat yourselves! :)
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i live next to the Epsom Derby which is tomorrow so im going to make an appearance and hopefully get a glimpse of the queen :)

then if the weather holds up... BBQ AND BOOZE! its not every year we get a 4 day weekend! im going to enjoy the hell out of it :)
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm going to a friend's bbq on tuesday but I'm more concerned that I'll be away from Wednesday to Saturday for work and it's free food and drink and lots of it! I shall still try and keep track as much as I can on my phone tho.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    are you suggesting that the Queen's coronation 60 years ago was a deliberate attempt to ensure it coincide with the London 2012 olympics? As a conspiracy theory that takes some beating.

Did we win the Olympics because of the diamond jubilee. Don't believe that either although I am sure it featured.

The Queen was crowned in February 1952 so she has been Monarch for 60 years, not 59, and unlike Queen Victoria, didn't have the Diamond Jubilee moved.

I wonder how far you will get in educating the stupid people?

^^^^ i agree!!! lol I think the Queen needs a bit of celebrating for 60 years on the throne, if it wasn't for out royal family our tourism trade would be no where near what it is, and also the olympics will be bringing in a lot of tourists too.

I'm celebrating with a street party, and make sure I track everything, and if I go over well then there's always next week to put it right :)

Have a great summer though, perhaps you can look to emigrating to a nice country like the USA, where they don't have a monarch, providing of course you wont object to them celebrating the 250th anniversary of the declaration of independence in 2026!
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I already celebrated it :laugh:

I had a bottle of wine and a gazillion calories at my office Jubilee buffet yesterday lunchtime. Tracked the lot and now have to be good for the next 4 days. I can live with that.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Not really, some of us up North never see the monarchy or the point of it. It just re-enforces a system of privilege and rank. Oliver Cromwell should have ensured there was no Charles the II, and got rid of it once and for all.

I grew up in Kent but have some really good friends in Yorkshire and Newcastle, can I be in the club?

Please? You're so much cooler, I loved Pulp :)

(edit) Regarding booze, I don't track it ... Life is too short (same goes for exercise) and I find if I keep the food carbs low it doesn't really matter.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

We don't moan because we are miserable, we moan because it makes us happy ;)

My long weekend is booked solid with BBQ's, street party, an ox roast, seeing friends and family...I fully intend to have a great time with no guilt about my intake. I'm not using it as an excuse to binge however.

I will get in at least two sessions at the gym and maybe a long cycle and then get back to being serious come next Wednesday.

Bring it!
  • lippy1727
    lippy1727 Posts: 53
    Options
    Well my office has just ordered pizza for lunch which i have managed to resist the temptation on, i will be going for a long hour walk to avoid the smells.
    As for the rest of the weekend i will be active so that should burn off some calories from the alcohol but i intend to try to stay within my calorie limit.
  • Deka61
    Options

I grew up in Kent but have some really good friends in Yorkshire and Newcastle, can I be in the club?

Please? You're so much cooler, I loved Pulp :)

(edit) Regarding booze, I don't track it ... Life is too short (same goes for exercise) and I find if I keep the food carbs low it doesn't really matter.

Anybody who appreciates Terry Thomas can join the club, no problem. Comedy Legend in my book.
  • amortize20
    amortize20 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm going to drink, dance & be merry! :laugh:

this ^^^ and then some more!!