Nobody noticed ...

Options
So today was a special day at my old High-school (I graduated last year) so I set up a meeting there with some old friends and some teachers. I thought someone, at least my friends would notice that I lost weight. I mean I haven't seen any of them or the teachers since last year. I was 275 lbs then !!! Now I'm just under 220 lbs :cry: and not even a: "You changed." :cry:

So it's up to you guys to brighten my day :smile:

Tell me something positive, something that makes you know all of this is worth it ! :flowerforyou:

Thanx for reading and I want you all to know you ALL are special to me :heart: just for being here and making a change in you lives!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Aww :cry: They are just jealous of you!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people hesitate to mention a weight loss. They don't want you to think that they thought you were fat before. That was a mouthful. You've accomplished a lot; don't let anyone's silence steal your victory!
  • PatriNina
    PatriNina Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Aww :cry: They are just jealous of you!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Maybe... but I couldn't wait to tell them about MFP, and help some of my friends get on the good track...but it never came up :cry: since I didn't look any different to them
  • PatriNina
    Options
    Sometimes people hesitate to mention a weight loss. They don't want you to think that they thought you were fat before. That was a mouthful. You've accomplished a lot; don't let anyone's silence steal your victory!

Their silence will make me try harder to make a bigger change, for the better :smile:
  • loveowens1
    loveowens1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    first, congratulations to you on your weight loss! i have lost 100 lbs from my starting weight and some people that havent seen me in a while dont mention my weight loss. i think they might think it in their heads but dont actualy verbalize anything and then sometimes we are so busy catching up that we forget to talk about weight loss. I am actually guilty of noticing that people have lost weight and not saying anything thing but most of the time i am pretty good about saying something. You are doing great!! Just let this be motivation to lose even more (if you would like to)to really show them. Keep up the awesome work!!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Use their silence as motivation. They may have just been awe-struck by the "new you," too.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options

^^^ this.

i know i have been guilty of this myself, i will notice someone looks thinner but i am hesitant to say anything.

when i was down 60 lbs i went to see my best friend (of 17 years) who had no idea i was trying once again to lose the weight and she didnt say anything for many hours, finally when i was leaving she said something, but it still bugged me because i was really hoping for a more dramatic response. She said that she just doesn't pay any attention to that at all. So see it as a good thing, that you were you and not your body.
  • Sabine321
    Sabine321 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was 220 lbs, dropped weight and nobody said anything until I lost close to 60 lbs. And then after 70 lbs everybody started worrying I loose too much. I got comments like you are skinny enough now. Just keep going. You are doing awesome.:wink:
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Aww so sorry. Just keep going because ur doing great.
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    in the end your the only one who can notice, and in your case look at the number. shoot! nobody notices and im losing barely any weight, it is taking me much longer.also what is hard is that im the one who started working out and got my sis and her friends and my friends joining the band wagon and unfortunately everyone of them have actually lost a lot of weight and me not so much ...:blushing: so i guess in the end your the only one who matters who cares about the rest
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I hope you will not give up that easily! Keep loosing and the day will come! You may be surprised though a lot of people will make snide comments and give you dirty looks. Every time I go out feeling all good about myself- I get the dirtiest looks from other women, at first I was disturbed now it just makes me giggle and hold my head a little bit higher. I noticed after high school that a lot of the skinny girls became big girls and the bigger girls got skinny. I was skinny as a rail in school and ate whatever I pleased which left me ignorant of how and what to do to get it off, thank goodness for MFP at almost 40 yrs. old I am finally starting to figure it out.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    They may have noticed but didn't want to possibly offend you in some way...
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Don't think that just because they didn't say anything they didn't notice - I'm sure they must have! They might be like me though. I wouldn't dare mention someone's weight loss unless I knew them ridiculously well and knew 100% that they wouldn't be offended by it. I once said to a guy at work that he'd lost a lot of weight and was looking really good and he was SO angry that I'd mentioned it - I thought I was being encouraging because I love it when people notice changes in me, but he was really upset and I felt awful, so now I tread VERY carefully. You know you're doing brilliantly so, although some reaction from your classmates would have been nice, don't let it discourage you! :) x
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Shoot I don't wait for them to notice and say something...I'm proud of what I've done and I tell it. If they don't notice then they have their eyes closed...If I'm not proud of me then I can't continue doing this
  • PatriNina
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up! This thing is the best thing I've ever done for myself. And I am going to continue `till I get to my goal and then maintain. But I`m a sociable creature, that's why I hoped someone would notice, because it is a change.

I'll just work harder and enjoy the good comments when they do come, and take the bad ones as even more motivation. Thank you MFP'ers . You are still my best pals :drinker: :heart:
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. It's what YOU think that matters. It is so satisfying to make a change. Maybe you should get together again a year from now, I bet they will notice then!:happy:
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options

This is very true. Surprisingly, a lot of people don't like to offend. I wouldn't take it personally- they were probably talking about how different you looked as soon as you were out of earshot. lol
  • meliad
    meliad Posts: 71
    Options

Their silence will make me try harder to make a bigger change, for the better :smile:

I think that is the right attitude. You can do more and be better than you or any other person has imagined. You have made great progress and being proud of yourself is the most important thing.
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options

^^This

Sometimes it is just awkward for people, especially if they aren't close friends, to say something about someone else's weight. In those peoples minds, saying, 'Hey you lost weight! And you look great!' , could be interpreted as 'Wow you were so fat before, now you're not!', so they say nothing.

I am willing to bet that they DID notice, and ARE impressed... they just didn't say anything
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    congrats on your loss! i'm sure they noticed but didn't want it to be awkward or anything. :flowerforyou: keep up the good work!