Nobody noticed ...

Options

Replies

• julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up! This things is the best thing I've ever done for myself. And I am going to continue `till I get to my goal and then maintain. But I`m a sociable creature, that's why I hoped someone would notice, because it is a change.

I'll just work harder and enjoy the good comments when they do come, and take the bad ones as even more motivation. Thank you MFP'ers . You are still my best pals :drinker: :heart:

Yay! Glad to hear it!!!:happy: Sorry your friends didn't say anything I do hate it when no one mentions my weight loss, haircut, etc. I admit I will pout about it like a 3 yr. old for a bit...:angry::cry:
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was at 325 last year... got all the way down to 275 and no one noticed or said anything..it wasn't til i got to about 250 that people actually started noticing and saying things. It was pretty disappointing losing 50 lbs and having noone notice... Everyone says it's cuz i was tall.. i'm 6'7 and they said i carried the weight well......

yeah whatever..but it didn't bother me either way, i kept doing my thing and eventually got to my goal of 100lbs. Keep at it, hit your goal, and i Guarantee you, you'll feel better about yourself than if someone would have complimented you along the way.
  • LorryGuthrie
    LorryGuthrie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know I've had people say they hesitated to say something for fear they would "embarrass" (I know I spelled that wrong - oops) me. Then I tell them "no, I get excited when people notice". Some people are just super sensitive in regards to talking about weight. But I'll tell ya, YOU ROCK!! :happy:
  • doodles80
    doodles80 Posts: 59
    Options
    Aww :cry: They are just jealous of you!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Agreed - that or they did not want to mention how big you were before. But, in my experience, jealousy...

You have done so well. As long as you know it in your heart then thats all that matters my duck x
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were worried you'd be offended if they mentioned it? I don't know, that's too bad, though. Most people would be like, "Wow! You look great!" Especially if they were old friends. Congrats on the loss! Keep it up!
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people hesitate to mention a weight loss. They don't want you to think that they thought you were fat before. That was a mouthful. You've accomplished a lot; don't let anyone's silence steal your victory!

^^^^ THIS. I do that sometimes myself. I've had a few times when I've said, "Oh, you look great! Did you lose weight?" only to get a horrified, "No! Do I need to?" So I only comment to my close friends when I notice a nice change.

Same with pregnancy. I refuse to acknowledge a woman's pregnancy unless I see a head emerging, or it has been confirmed to me. I have had people ask me a few times if I'm pregnant (my tummy is where I gain weight), and it's traumatizing!

Congratulations on your weight loss, regardless. Good for you!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    just think of your 5yr reunion......wow them then. nobody can take away your success
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I almost never mention weight loss to people unless they bring it up somehow. Or, if it is extreme, like I've seen people lose a lot quickly, and I will ask if they are ok. Lol.

Another thing, sometimes, on heavier people, it takes a lot of weight to really notice. I knew a guy, and it wasn't until he lost like 80 lbs here people started noticing. Even when he lost 50, you couldn't really tell. But, at that point, when I asked, he showed my his belt, and where it was and Where it is. I was amazed. He said people only just started noticing at he 80 lb mark. I don't know why that is.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people hesitate to mention a weight loss. They don't want you to think that they thought you were fat before. That was a mouthful. You've accomplished a lot; don't let anyone's silence steal your victory!

I had someone tell me just that about a week ago!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't have mentioned it either. It seems that as many people want you to compliment your weight loss, there are more who will turn any compliment you give them into an insult. So as a rule, most people avoid complimenting weight loss, especially if they haven't seen you in a while, until they know for certain that you have lost (They haven't seen you for a year, they could just think "Maybe we remembered wrong?") and how they can try and compliment you.

Do you eel better about yourself? If so then that should be all the compliment you need.
  • robinregina
    robinregina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    First of all GOOD JOB on your weight loss. Just keep up the good work and don't let anybody steal your thunder!! Remember, silence is GOLD.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Someone noticed my weight loss just from march last weekend... "Katie, you've lost weight. You look smaller. Not that you was big or anything... Uh, you know what I mean."

Maybe your friends were politely trying to avoid that awkwardness...
  • missattitude57
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up! This thing is the best thing I've ever done for myself. And I am going to continue `till I get to my goal and then maintain. But I`m a sociable creature, that's why I hoped someone would notice, because it is a change.

I'll just work harder and enjoy the good comments when they do come, and take the bad ones as even more motivation. Thank you MFP'ers . You are still my best pals :drinker: :heart:

Wow!!! 55 pounds is huge! A lady I worked with told me after I lost my first 2 pounds to take a bag of sugar and strap it to my waist because that is how much weight I've lost. Could you imagine what you'd look like if you had 28 bags of sugar strapped to yourself now? I don't know what your main source of motivation is, for me it's getting healthier so I can have babies and that is going to make every week that the scale doesn't move, and every time someone doesn't say anything about the weight I've lost all worth it :) Keep up the good work!!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are afraid to say the wrong thing. So they say nothing.

But you've done awesome! Keep it up!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Progress pics or it didn't happen :laugh:
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you with that weight loss and original weight. I was at my lowest in years at 222 lbs. (unfortunately couldn't stick with it long enough to get down to 220). and all that I noticed different about my body was that my back was slimmer (no more bra bulge) and my tummy was a bit smaller. But I never did get down to a different pant size because of my stupid thighs. All the smaller pant sizes fit around my waist, but not my thighs. They were waaaaay too tight. Your weight loss is awesome, good for you!! But maybe they honestly didn't notice. I don't know how you looked before and now after, maybe there are very noticable differences, but if you have small differences that you notice, maybe somebody who hasn't seen you in a year didn't notice them as much.

That or else, yes, maybe they didn't want to mention it. I wish my family was like that!! Anytime anybody even congratulates me on my weight loss, it derails me. I don't know why. But I wish they would just shut up about it.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry nobody said anything to you. I'm sure it would have been nice to get some good feedback! I know when I was getting fatter, I wouldn't dare comment on someone's weight loss because the last thing I wanted to hear was "It's so easy! If I can do it, anyone can!" And I have an acquaintance who has lost quite a bit of weight, but I don't want to say anything about it because I know she has health problems and recently had surgery--- I'm not sure how much of the change is from negative health problems, vs. her making the decision to get healthy.

You are so young, I just want to remind you.... your *body* notices the changes, every day. You are getting healthier and stronger and this will help you live a longer, happier life. Having other people notice is like the icing on the cake (OK maybe that's the wrong metaphor here!) But what's really important is making these changes for yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling.

After losing 81 lbs, not a single person has said a thing. -_-

Congratulations on the loss, though! It's a HUGE accomplishment!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I always notice but seldom say anything because I was taught it's bad manners unless you are very close to someone because they might be sick or something that caused the weight to come off.

You're going along just fine. Keep up the good work!

:flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

This. It's a touchy subject.

Plus, people who care about you don't judge you nearly as harshly as you judge yourself.

I give the example of my niece who went from a size 12 to a size 4 for her wedding. She always looked beautiful to me, no matter what her size. I never thought of her in terms of her size. Even when I saw her in her a short strapless dress at her bridal shower, my thought was, "Damn, she looks so gorgeous!" and not, "She lost so much weight." It wasn't until I found out she had to exchange her gown for a smaller size that I realized she was smaller.