NSV- running

Options
Yay! This week I logged my 100th mile running for the year. I just started running in January, and I could only run 15 seconds at a time. Now I can run almost 2 miles on a treadmill. Before January, I had never ran in my adult life. Think it's time to sign up for a 5k to train for? I have been dying to try one, but want to be able to run the entire thing. Runners or fellow beginner runners, when did you know you were ready to start training for an actual race?

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    When I was running, I would run at least 10 - 15 minutes longer than the actual time I needed for whatever race. When I was going for speed I made certain I could run 2 times the length of my race at a slower speed for cardio and would interval train for the speed (sprint as long as I could then jog for say 2 - 3 minutes, then sprint, then jog). But, it's been a while. I'm 42 and I used to wakeboard a lot so I made the decision to jog and not run anymore so I haven't kept up with the newest stuff in running. I do know the physical therapist my son has says you should stretch after you run (as opposed to b-4) to run your fastest time.

Really depends on your goal. If you just want to finish, I'll go with the 10 minute rule. Make sure you can run 10 minutes longer than the 3.3 miles (max that a 5k usually is).

L
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The only difference between a daily run & a race is the fun factor! Races are awesome, lots of other runners to socialize with, adrenaline to help you along, etc. I have raced a million races and will tell you that runners are the most supportive group of people you'll ever meet. Almost all runners across the line continue to cheer til the last person is in. I have never heard anyone say anything bad, we all give a lot of credit to all who try. And believe me, you are the norm. The fast people are few and far between. Sign up, I can almost guarantee you will love it. If not, come hunt me down. ;)
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is any amazing NSV!
  • emanna11
    emanna11 Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks for the info (and congrats)! There is a local 5k in August, I think I am going to sign up for it and find a training program that works for me. Maybe if I sign up for one, I will work harder to get to the 5k mark.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I started running in February, and signed up to my first 5k in April. The 5k isn't until October, though - I gave myself plenty of time to train, and I managed to run my first 5k not long later. I should be able to run the whole thing confidently by October, so just this week I signed up for my first 10k in May next year. I figure I'd rather give myself plenty of time to train than risk not being ready.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have some motivation for you! I am 55 and started running for the first time in my life in January. As I was losing my weight I was working out on the treadmill walking at first slow 15 -20 mins and later faster and at an incline. I finally gave running a try in January. I ran 30 seconds then walked 4 1/2 minutes then ran 30 second then walk etc. until i could keep that up for an hour. Then I increased to 1 minute, walk 4min. Next week run 2 min walk 3min. Anyway by March I could run a whole mile without stopping. I have continulally challenged myself going faster and longer and now run 7 miles 5 days a week. I truly thought this would have been impossible! I can still hardly believe it myself. I do not run outside and so have not been in a race, but I have every confidence that 3.1 miles (5K) would be a "a walk in the park " lol. They key to this was an everyday (5-6 days a week), no excuses training program.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have some motivation for you! I am 55 and started running for the first time in my life in January. As I was losing my weight I was working out on the treadmill walking at first slow 15 -20 mins and later faster and at an incline. I finally gave running a try in January. I ran 30 seconds then walked 4 1/2 minutes then ran 30 second then walk etc. until i could keep that up for an hour. Then I increased to 1 minute, walk 4min. Next week run 2 min walk 3min. Anyway by March I could run a whole mile without stopping. I have continulally challenged myself going faster and longer and now run 7 miles 5 days a week. I truly thought this would have been impossible! I can still hardly believe it myself. I do not run outside and so have not been in a race, but I have every confidence that 3.1 miles (5K) would be a "a walk in the park " lol. They key to this was an everyday (5-6 days a week), no excuses training program.

All I can say is "Wow!" I am so amazed, impressed...I have no words. Kudos to you! A++++ for determination & sticking with it.
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! I just started jogging....thanks for the encouragement...:)
  • pearceda
    pearceda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am racing my first 5K tomorrow morning! My wife and I started running last fall and let me tell you, we looked horrible...we were doing 1 minute of running and like 5 minutes walking...worked on the ratio for a while in the fall and then purchased a treadmill for the winter, come spring we hit the outdoors and I can now run 10-12 KMs without stopping, ...even though my times are not the greatest yet. I have been out three times this week and ran my 5 KM distance and I am completing it in roughly 28 minutes...My goal is a sub 27 minute for this race so not sure if I am going to pull it off. My wife has also completed a 10KM race earlier this year and she did it in just under a hour! We are both a little competitive so it is funny, whenever one of us comes back from a run, the first thing we ask each other is how far and what was your time? When we were doing the treadmill in the winter, the second person would always go a little further than the first person went. It is great though to have someone to run with and be pushing you to get better.
  • lean4life2
    lean4life2 Posts: 49
    Options
    If you are going to sign up for a race my best advice would be to get off the treadmill and get outside,running on a treadmill and running on pavement are very very different,it is way more difficult to jog on pavement and you should get used to it.
    I think you should sign up,you can do anything you set your mind to,and for me,running is so much a mental thing.
    I am running my 3rd 5k on Sunday :happy:
  • emanna11
    Options
    If you are going to sign up for a race my best advice would be to get off the treadmill and get outside,running on a treadmill and running on pavement are very very different,it is way more difficult to jog on pavement and you should get used to it.
    I think you should sign up,you can do anything you set your mind to,and for me,running is so much a mental thing.
    I am running my 3rd 5k on Sunday :happy:

Thanks for that advice... I started running outside on a track once in a while when the weather was nice in March. In May I started running outside about once a week. The furthest I have pushed myself without walking on the sidewalk is about a mile and a half. I ran to my sister's house across town, drank some water and took a 10 minute rest, then ran back home. And you are right running outside is harder.
  • emanna11
    Options

2 Words: YOU ROCK!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!