Do you work out before breakfast...what are your results?

Options
I know this has probably been asked a bizzillion times.. but I don't really want to know if its Better to workout before or after breakfast.. I want to know your results have byou compared the vs.?

I've been working out before breakfast .. thinking ill be burning pure stored energy.. well I haven't seen any significant weight loss that shows its actually doing that... Infact I'm bloated and my clothes are tighter :/

I'm just upset and venting... I'm about to make my breakfast and hop on my exercise gizmo but I feel.like a stuffed sausage my mom just said your pants are too tight.. I was like you can tell? how the fugg I'm I getting bigger and weighing less... I'm upset...

Replies

• robertspencer
    Options
    I work out at 4:30 in the morning, about two and a half hours before i eat breakfast. Right now i have lost right around ten pounds in four days. I like the results I'm getting.
  • paangelqueen
    paangelqueen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    and I thought my 4lbs in 5 days was awesome lol
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You drinking enough water? Working out without being properly hydrated can cause your lean muscle mass to retain some water and electrolytes.

Also if you are a beginner at working out, its possibly you are building some muscle, which will cause you to get a little bigger, especially in areas with large muscle groups like the thighs.

Regarding working out on an empty stomach vs. eating before a workout, there are two different opinions. One says, workout on an empty stomach and you will burn more fat because your body has no other energy source. This is true. The other opinion is, eat before you work out and you will have more energy to do a longer, harder, more intense workout which will build more muscle and burn more calories. This is also true.

Which one is right for you, you have to figure out for yourself. Also be patient with the weight loss, if you are honestly tracking calories and working out, you will become more fit, but it takes a long time.
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I work out at 4:30 in the morning, about two and a half hours before i eat breakfast. Right now i have lost right around ten pounds in four days. I like the results I'm getting.

Holy cow! Ten pounds in four days, I hope a lot of that was water weight or you need to see a doctor!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    like one of the other posters said, definitely drink plenty of water before and after your workouts and see if you notice any changes.

the before/after breakfast workout is usually just a personal preference, but also make sure that you're giving your body adequate rest days and a few days (if not, at least a week) to adjust to whichever you choose!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. I prefer working out in the morning but I get up at 4:15am to get ready for work so that usually doesn't happen until the weekend. Even then, my eating differs depending on what workout I am doing. If it's just cardio, I'll just take water or a low-cal gatorade with me. If I am doing weights at all, I'll take a protein shake to sip between sets (I find it helps boost my performance and of course keeps me from getting sick on heavy lifts).

My boyfriend, though, much prefers evening workouts, which is what is best during the work week. Studies have shown that generally, people are stronger around the early evening hours, close to 6pm. Your body has had nutrients and hydration throughout the day so it's ready to roll as long as you're not wiped out from work.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, and on the type of exercise. And it'll be a bit of trial and error to worku out what's right for YOU.

For me - I can do cardio on an empty stomach - a pre-breakfast jog, say. But I've tried a weights class at 7 am and get dizzy and unfocussed if I haven't eaten anything before that, so I'll make sure to get a piece of wholewheat toast with peanut butter, or a banana, first if I'm doing that.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This is something where you have to try it yourself and see what works best for you. I know a lot of people who find that they can lose more fat and also fit it into their schedule better if they exercise before breakfast. There are definite advantages to it.

However for me, personally, it doesn't work. I have to be very careful about carbohydrates, too much of the wrong kinds of carbohydrates messes up my blood sugar levels, skipping breakfast messes up my blood sugar levels, too few carbohydrates causes me other kinds of problems, so it's like a balancing act sometimes, and I also find that doing exercise before breakfast has the same effect on me as skipping it does. So I don't exercise before breakfast, it really does not work for me at all. BUT I know other people that it works really well for, so my advice is try it and see how you get on. Better results = keep doing it. Same results but more convenient for your schedule = keep doing it. Problems = go back to eating breakfast then working out after you've given breakfast time to go down.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I used to work out before breakfast and found that I'd gas out quicker than I normally did when I worked out later in the day. Figured it was cause I was running on empty so changed things up and started eating breakfast before a morning workout and find that I have more energy and endurance.

I like getting a good protein dose in so eggs are a staple part of my breakfast and have recently added in oats as well for a nice little carb boost.

These days, I couldn't see myself exercising every morning before work especially when 3 of those 5 weekday mornings are weight lifting sessions.
  • birkona
    birkona Posts: 24
    Options
    I started working out before eating breakfast 3 days ago and I have already lost 4 pounds (probably some water weight.) I usually drink about 2 cups of water right before and during my workout. My morning workout usually consists of 25 minutes of cardio.

The only downfall is that it does make me tired throughout the day and I do find that I cannot workout to the best of my ability on an empty stomach. I plan on trying this method for a few more days and see if it will work for me. If not, I'll switch to eating a banana as soon as I wake up than 30 minutes later I will do my morning workout, than a full breakfast meal afterwards.