What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Your weight went up, but did your clothes fit any better? That's one of the easiest ways of determining if you're losing fat instead of some number on a scale.

Being female, we're prone to water retention for various reasons, which causes crazy weight variations.

I have a pair of pants I use as a gauge. If it's getting looser, then I don't care if the scale says I went up 10 lbs.
  • rayne78
    rayne78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have some ankle weights I just got for my Butt Bible workouts. I will work in more weights somehow since many are suggesting that. I just ate peanut butter to get some more fat/cals in. I've been wanting to work in some PB- it's so good! I had just decided to get some peanuts. I was going to get honey roasted since those are my favorite, but if unsalted/unseasoned is better then I will get some regular ones. :)
    As far as the carnation things- they have 120mg of sodium. I won't be drinking them once the box is gone. The only reason I am drinking them is because I need to get rid of them. I purchased the box as an intermediary drink before our Ideal Shape meal replacement came in, and it came faster than we thought it would. Then we decided to not reorder the Ideal Shape because it was not what we expected. I think I have 3 or so packets of Carnation left and once they're gone, they're gone :) I hope my protein powder gets here sooner so I can start that. I am hoping to mix that with my coffee in the AM so I can work the non-dairy vanilla creamer out of my diet. I could drink my hubby's, but his is Optimum Nutrition which has 24g protein, so I thought it was too much for me in addition to all of the protein I eat normally.
    I love peanut butter as well, but be careful with it as well since the regular ones are loaded with sugar. If in moderation it's not so bad, but if it's a regular treat, I would recommend getting a natural peanut butter with peanuts as the only ingredient. Yes honey roasted peanuts are delicious, but again sugary! the most beneficial nuts will be unsalted and unflavoured. As for protein, if you're going to start adding in some more weight work, you will definitely need more protein, and your hubby's shakes at 24g will not be too much. The powder shakes I drink have 35g of protein in each serving, and I think I usually get about 150g or more of protein in a day, although i think i weigh quite a bit more than you (based on your bikini pic), so you probably wouldn't go quite as high.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Your weight went up, but did your clothes fit any better? That's one of the easiest ways of determining if you're losing fat instead of some number on a scale.

Being female, we're prone to water retention for various reasons, which causes crazy weight variations.

I have a pair of pants I use as a gauge. If it's getting looser, then I don't care if the scale says I went up 10 lbs.

Some fit a littl differently but for the most part they feel the same. I think my booty is lifting from the program I am on so that won't necessarily make my jeans any looser, but fit in a better manner if you know what I mean.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    I love peanut butter as well, but be careful with it as well since the regular ones are loaded with sugar. If in moderation it's not so bad, but if it's a regular treat, I would recommend getting a natural peanut butter with peanuts as the only ingredient. Yes honey roasted peanuts are delicious, but again sugary! the most beneficial nuts will be unsalted and unflavoured.

Peter pan 1/3 less sugar has 2g of sugar. Is that good or bad? I also have ordered PB2 to put into my shakes but I didn't really look at the sugar content in that. Hopefully it's not too bad.

And oops.. I got the honey roasted nuts because the calories were slightly less (somehow?) and the sodium was only 5mg higher than the regular lightly salted (sea salt) ones. I was focusing on the sodium you had mentioned. :( I was at Target though, so maybe another store would have a better selection. I just stopped there because it's right on my way home, and other stores are completely out of my way.. but I will be doing a shop this weekend so I can get unsalted ones :)
  • rayne78
    Options
    Peter pan 1/3 less sugar has 2g of sugar. Is that good or bad? I also have ordered PB2 to put into my shakes but I didn't really look at the sugar content in that. Hopefully it's not too bad.

And oops.. I got the honey roasted nuts because the calories were slightly less (somehow?) and the sodium was only 5mg higher than the regular lightly salted (sea salt) ones. I was focusing on the sodium you had mentioned. :( I was at Target though, so maybe another store would have a better selection. I just stopped there because it's right on my way home, and other stores are completely out of my way.. but I will be doing a shop this weekend so I can get unsalted ones :)

2 g of sugar (per tablespoon I assume?) isn't too bad, provided you don't eat i like crazy. It's not like sugar has to be completely avoiding, I'm personally trying to eat as clean as I can most of the time, and following the 17 Day Diet, so I try to avoid all sugar, unless it's unavoidable. If people ask me for tips, those are the main things I recommend: watch your sugar or try to eliminate it when you can (you'd be surprised how much stuff has sugar in it where you wouldn't expect it), watch your sodium intake, as eating too much over a period of time causes water retention, and lastly try to eliminate white starches and replace with whole grains. It's surprising what those little changes can do.

Enjoy the honey roasted nuts, don't let them go to waste, just eating them slowly. I get my almonds at Coscto, but I know they're also available in a Bulk store here(Canada), so if you have a bulk store you'd probably find them there as well.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options

Enjoy the honey roasted nuts, don't let them go to waste, just eating them slowly. I get my almonds at Coscto, but I know they're also available in a Bulk store here(Canada), so if you have a bulk store you'd probably find them there as well.

I have a Sams Club membership. There are a couple more things I want to check to see if they have (such as vanilla almond milk) so I will try this weekend :) Thanks so much!
  • rayne78
    Options
    No problem!
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    2 g of sugar (per tablespoon I assume?) isn't too bad, provided you don't eat i like crazy.

It actually has 2g of sugar per 2tbsp serving :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar is a carb and as long as your carbs are moderate you can still cut body fat and weight. This is no diferent than those people who say dont eat bananas because they have a lot of sugar. Btw, i eat peanuts and pb all the time. I have cut 6% body fat and in thr last 10-12 weeks 5 lbs and i am within 10 lbs of my goal.
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Eat enough to maintain your weight, then after about 2-3 weeks go back to 1200 cals. Works for me when I'm at a stand still.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Just looked over your last week of food...

Poor Choices in food. IMO

Your Calories are ok, but IMO.. Carbs are to high and once again.. Protein is way to low. Just about every one who post where asking this same question has done this....

Try cutting your carbs in half and double your Protein.

If your 140ish and you want to lose 15lbs.

Eat at least 100g of Protein MIN.. I would want you to shoot for 125g a day and stay in the 75-100 MAX for Carbs. Do this for 4 weeks. once or twice a week. Drop your Carbs down around 30g for the day.

Also start up weight training..

Using the Elliptical Trainer a lot I see. Try using a different machine. Stairmaster, treadmill... Even going in Rev on the Elliptical Trainer will be good. Actually going in Rev on it has shown to burn 9% Calories.

Last thing.. Don't count cleaning or Yoga for Calories you will eat back. Only Eat back the Calories from Exercises that burned more then 100.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Sugar is a carb and as long as your carbs are moderate you can still cut body fat and weight. This is no diferent than those people who say dont eat bananas because they have a lot of sugar. Btw, i eat peanuts and pb all the time. I have cut 6% body fat and in thr last 10-12 weeks 5 lbs and i am within 10 lbs of my goal.

I am adding peanuts and PB to my diet as of yesterday. Probably not every day, but many days a week. Good fats and calories. :) I was wondering about my carbs, whether I was eating too many. But on my diary it doesn't show that I am over my goal really, or close to it much of the time.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Just looked over your last week of food...

Poor Choices in food. IMO
    Please note that I lost a good portion of my past diary because I changed the settings. And I do not claim to be making perfect decisions about food but I am really trying. Veggies, fruits and snacks that are at least decent choices. I am not trying to eat 100% clean or perfect, but I am trying to eat much better and make better decisions. =:) Before jumping back on MFP, for dinner we were eating frozen pizza 2 nights a week, stouffers dinners, voila, and mostly other packaged/prepared meals. Lunches were canned soup, hot pockets and burritos. We've cut that out mostly, though sometimes we indulge with an occasional pizza. Last Saturday for example, I had a good time with friends boating, had some vodka and ate pizza after I woke up from being exhausted from the sun and indulgence of vodka. I have cut out wine basically completely whereas I was drinking it a couple times a week @ a glass or two each, mostly socially. I haven't drank vodka in ages and well, I probably won't again for a very long time!

Your Calories are ok, but IMO.. Carbs are to high and once again.. Protein is way to low. Just about every one who post where asking this same question has done this....

Try cutting your carbs in half and double your Protein.

If your 140ish and you want to lose 15lbs.

Eat at least 100g of Protein MIN.. I would want you to shoot for 125g a day and stay in the 75-100 MAX for Carbs. Do this for 4 weeks. once or twice a week. Drop your Carbs down around 30g for the day.
    Thank you for this tip. I have been wondering about protein, and recently ordered two canisters of women's protein powder. It is lower protein @ 14g per serving, but it is an added boost. I have no idea about how much protein to consume, but I did decide I wasn't getting enough so I ordered the powder. I worry about eating TOO much protein and getting too much muscle or bulking up or something. This morning I am having some of my husband's Optimum Nutrition Gold stuff that has 24g of protein, and I have a Luna Protein bar that has another 12g for my morning snack.

How many carbs should I aim for? MFP has my goal around 165-169 I think? I don't seem to hit that goal, so I thought I was doing ok. Since you suggest otherwise- do you have an idea of what my actual carb goal should be? Cutting carbs will be tough for me, and I will work on it... but I love pasta and crackers. I am trying to lay off the crackers and pasta a little bit. I am a work in progress.

Also start up weight training..

Using the Elliptical Trainer a lot I see. Try using a different machine. Stairmaster, treadmill... Even going in Rev on the Elliptical Trainer will be good. Actually going in Rev on it has shown to burn 9% Calories.

That, I sure do. It's because that is the machine I own. I do not have a gym membership and really don't want to get one because of added cost and not sure if I can make it there during operating hours. I have the elliptical, dumbells, resistance bands, ankle weights, stability ball and some other little weighted balls (not sure what they are called).

Last thing.. Don't count cleaning or Yoga for Calories you will eat back. Only Eat back the Calories from Exercises that burned more then 100.

Cleaning I can understand. But yoga, I feel should count. It is a decent burn, makes me sweat and this is the first time I have heard that I shouldn't count it.
    Yesterday was kind of a double edged sword for me, I think. I tried to eat more calories, but it was a rest day so I didn't work out, but I cleaned and helped move an oven since we got a new one. So to make myself feel better about going over my MFP calorie goal (per recommendations to eat more calories......), I added the cleaning in there, more for psychological reasons =;) Otherwise, when I've added cleaning in, it's because it was vigoruous cleaning. I clean every day but rarely count it. And when I do count it, I don't eat those calories back as far as I can remember. I actually don't eat my exercise calories back very often regardless of the type of burn it was.. which I hear mixed opinions on whether that's good or bad.

I think I will manually enter my MFP goal to be 1300-1350 to start this new journey, and incorporate everyone's tips. Using this website helps to caluculate things such as BMR and calorie needs http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ This website basically tells me I should eat 1706-1955 cals a day but I have no idea if it considers deficits or what-not in there.

***I changed my MFP goal to 1300 calories and 98g protein and it changed my projected weight loss to .7 lbs a week. Projected weight loss went down?? How is eating more going to help me if it shows the projections decreasing...?***

So far I've gathered that I should increase calories, increase strength/weight training, increase protein, reduce sodium, reduce carbs and make sure sugars stay in a healthy range. And I will start going reverse on my elliptical for a bit.

Thank you everyone for your responses and helping me out. =:D
  • lisap53545
    Options
    I started weight watchers in February and started working out with bicycling and weight training alternating daily. I was losing 2-3 lbs per week for 3 weeks. Then my weight kind of settled in and I was only losing 1/2 lb or so. But... I took my measurements when I started, (thighs, arms, waist, etc.) I was losing inches though I wasn't necessarily losing pounds. If your clothing is fitting better or differently this may be the case for you as well. Muscle weighs more than fat but you can lose the inches and know that the excercising is changing the weigh you look and not necessarily the amount you weigh.
  • run2jeepn
    Options
    Cleaning I can understand. But yoga, I feel should count. It is a decent burn, makes me sweat and this is the first time I have heard that I shouldn't count it.

I only said that b/c you have it down for 20min and only burning 5o or so Calories... Thats not much more then you would burn standing on one foot... But thats just my opinion. If you want to see a change in your weight or shape. You are going to have change the way you look at things. The Only Calories I cound for that is. Actual Cardio and Weight Lifting.

Yesterday was kind of a double edged sword for me, I think. I tried to eat more calories, but it was a rest day so I didn't work out, but I cleaned and helped move an oven since we got a new one. So to make myself feel better about going over my MFP calorie goal (per recommendations to eat more calories......), I added the cleaning in there, more for psychological reasons =;) Otherwise, when I've added cleaning in, it's because it was vigoruous cleaning. I clean every day but rarely count it. And when I do count it, I don't eat those calories back as far as I can remember. I actually don't eat my exercise calories back very often regardless of the type of burn it was.. which I hear mixed opinions on whether that's good or bad.

Don't try and eat more Calories. Your Calories your have been putting up are fine number wise. It's were your Calories are coming from. Crap Food. Your last two days are a little better. Dump the Protein Bars. They are junk. For the amount of Protein you are getting. The Calories and Carbs are to high of a ratio. Eat more Chicken, Green beans, Cottage Cheese, Non-Fat Yogurt.. Greek Yogurt isn't any better. Non Fat is very close in Protein and fewer Calories. Non-Fat even had lower Carbs Pick foods that are higher in Protein and lower in Carbs.

Eat at least 100g of Protein MIN.. I would want you to shoot for 150g a day and stay in the 75-100 MAX for Carbs. Do this for 4 weeks. 2-3 days a week. Drop your Carbs down around 30-50g for the day. Never do that two days in a row. Also never do two high Days in a row as well.

I think I will manually enter my MFP goal to be 1300-1350 to start this new journey, and incorporate everyone's tips. Using this website helps to caluculate things such as BMR and calorie needs http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ This website basically tells me I should eat 1706-1955 cals a day but I have no idea if it considers deficits or what-not in there.

***I changed my MFP goal to 1300 calories and 98g protein and it changed my projected weight loss to .7 lbs a week. Projected weight loss went down?? How is eating more going to help me if it shows the projections decreasing...?***

Just punch in the numbers I posted above. and Cycle your Carbs with keeping your calories in check. .

So far I've gathered that I should increase calories, increase strength/weight training, increase protein, reduce sodium, reduce carbs and make sure sugars stay in a healthy range. And I will start going reverse on my elliptical for a bit.

DON'T INCREASE YOUR CALORIES. JUST EAT CLEANER.... Eat all your Carbs for the Day in the Morning. To help out. Give yourself a Carb Cut off Time.. Say like 6hrs before Bedtime. This allows your Body to use what you do have for everyday living and before going to bed and storying it.

Thank you everyone for your responses and helping me out. =:D

I hope this helps... I tryed to lay it out Simple... ignore everthing else for a couple of months. Do what I have laid out for 4-6 weeks. Once you get a handle on the Foods that fit into your diet. You can adjust and explore more food options then. But I'd bet with an increase in Cardio and Weight's. You'd drop at least 10lbs in that time.

1. Lower Carbs
    2. Keep Calories the same. Just from Cleaner sources
    3. Up Protein to 130g range
    4. Add more Gym Time
    5. Drink more Water
    6. Cycle your Carbs from day to day.

If your new to the gym and don't know what to. bodybuilding.com site has good simple starter workouts for Women.
  • PinkKitty724
    Options

I hope this helps... I tryed to lay it out Simple... ignore everthing else for a couple of months. Do what I have laid out for 4-6 weeks. Once you get a handle on the Foods that fit into your diet. You can adjust and explore more food options then. But I'd bet with an increase in Cardio and Weight's. You'd drop at least 10lbs in that time.

1. Lower Carbs
    2. Keep Calories the same. Just from Cleaner sources
    3. Up Protein to 130g range
    4. Add more Gym Time
    5. Drink more Water
    6. Cycle your Carbs from day to day.

If your new to the gym and don't know what to. bodybuilding.com site has good simple starter workouts for Women.

Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking the time to lay it all out for me. It really does help. I am going to save all you have written to a word doc and put into my fitness folder so I can reference it going forward. I adjusted my MFP goals to try and meet what you are telling me. I can't get the numbers exact since it calculates some automatically based upon the ratios of others. I will put my calories back down to 1200, too.

I weighed myself this morning out of curiosity and I lost 1.8 lbs all of a sudden. I found it quite interesting since everything hung on there for 2 weeks. If I randomly keep dropping nearly 2 lbs, I may have to increase calories because I don't want to become a stick, either. I want to drop some lbs and tone up consistently, with the toning being primary focus once I hit 130lbs. Today I am at 135.8, so I don't have a ton more to go. =:)
  • run2jeepn
    Options
    Sounds good. not far to go now. To Tone... Hit the Weights Hard and really push yourself.
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Looking through your diary the sodium level is quite high on a few occasions and this can cause water retention and will not help in your aim to lose those pounds. Also I notice the carbs that you are eating go over the target a few times, so maybe adding a little more protein than the carbs should make a difference. I also agree that eating 1200 maybe a bit low for you, so add some calories maybe and see how this goes for you....Hope this helps :-)
  • PinkKitty724
    Options
    Looking through your diary the sodium level is quite high on a few occasions and this can cause water retention and will not help in your aim to lose those pounds. Also I notice the carbs that you are eating go over the target a few times, so maybe adding a little more protein than the carbs should make a difference. I also agree that eating 1200 maybe a bit low for you, so add some calories maybe and see how this goes for you....Hope this helps :-)

Thank you for the tips! Yes, my sodium is a little high on occasions because we are still weeding out some of those pesky prepared type meals that we used to love to eat, which we have some left in our pantry still. Once in a while we have one, but they are almost gone :) Just last night I was telling hubby about the sodium situation and how meals "like these" (as we were eating the last philly cheese steak hamburger helper in our pantry) are what kill my sodium. =:)

And yep- carbs are another killer for me since I love my crackers and pasta. I'll continue to work on it, but I know carbs are going to be an issue and a fight for me!
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thank you for the tips! Yes, my sodium is a little high on occasions because we are still weeding out some of those pesky prepared type meals that we used to love to eat, which we have some left in our pantry still. Once in a while we have one, but they are almost gone :) Just last night I was telling hubby about the sodium situation and how meals "like these" (as we were eating the last philly cheese steak hamburger helper in our pantry) are what kill my sodium. =:)

And yep- carbs are another killer for me since I love my crackers and pasta. I'll continue to work on it, but I know carbs are going to be an issue and a fight for me!
    [/quote]

I know those ready meals can be so handy at times, I totally understand as life sometimes takes priority, if you do have these meals then I would suggest drinking lots more water to flush out the extra sodium.
    I also love my carbs and have one with every meal and even some as a snack...dont fight them just count them in and maybe substitute one for protein per day and it will make a difference....you will get there have no doubt, it just takes time :-)