Maintain?

Options
How do I maintain my weight now? I am in diet mode and I am having a hard time from a mental standpoint allowing myself to eat more each day. Thoughts?

Replies

• FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It was an adjustment but I never had a problem eating my calories. I just made healthy choices to hit that number =) Mainance on this site was supposedly 1600 but I have found it is 2000 =)
  • JenniferDLP
    JenniferDLP Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!!! I felt such gratification seeing the number on the scale go down.. but now... its not as satisfying just maintaining.... and its so hard to stay focused now that im not trying to lose. my friend and I started today, 50 miles running in June. thats the only way I can stay this weight, running. feel free to to befriend, we can keep each other in check.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    I am entering maintenance within the next two weeks. I have found the "maintenance" group and posts helpful to read through to help prepare myself mentally!

We are all used to the reward-relationship of losing weight. Sure, we were cutting back, but we were seeing the results and that is the reward! Now, we need to learn how to set new fitness goals so we still feel rewarded when we are no longer losing (and we need to also retrain our brains that we CAN eat more calories - without the guilt!)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Make a new goal... I don't ever plan to stop improving. Losing weight isn't the only way to improve your body and health. I stated a lifting routine and I'm eating at a slight surplus because I'm hoping to gain some muscle...
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It was an adjustment but I never had a problem eating my calories. I just made healthy choices to hit that number =) Mainance on this site was supposedly 1600 but I have found it is 2000 =)

Exactly. I have been maintaining for about 4 months. I didn't find the adjustment that bad. You need to work on your mindset though, as no one else can help you with psychological barriers but yourself. Accept that you made it to goal, give yourself a big pat on the back, and start adjusting! It took me a few weeks to fall into a maintenance groove I felt comfortable with and also took some fiddling. I found I have to eat the maintenance calories MFP gives me, plus ALL of my exercise calories in order to not keep losing weight. Everyone is different though, so you will need to tweak the numbers.

Congrats on coming this far, it's a great place to be!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I've been in "maintenance" for about a month. I hit my goal at 157, today I was 153. I've been eating what MFP suggested at around 1800. I'm thinking I'll need to up that soon so that I don't keep downshifting. I believe there is a "too skinny" me and I'm slowly approaching it.

You have to find what works for you and keep challenging yourself or you get bored because you reached your goal and let all that hard work go down the pot.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    It sounds like a common concern. I am getting close to the magic number, so I decided to loosen up my requirements early and taper off my diet plan over a month or so, so that when I hit maintenance mode it will be a relatively small change to my normal life. Right now I'm at 2 lbs a week, but am averaging about 3. I plan on changing to 1.5 lbs a week, then 1, then .5 until I meet my goal. I've also decided that it will probably be easier for me to eat more often than to eat more in a single sitting.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Never stop logging. Go up a little at a time. Stick to the same foods you have been eating just increase the portion size a little. That way you won't fall back into unhealthy eating habits. I have been maintaining for over a year.
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This is my first week on maintenance and, while I'm super happy to have reached my goal, I'm a bit nervous about these extra calories I'm allowed now. It's great being able to indulge a bit more, but deep down I have this nagging worry that I'm going to start putting the weight back on. I'm hoping that after a few weeks, I'll see that as long as I continue to maintain a reasonably healthy lifestyle the weight will not start piling back on and I'll be able to relax!
  • MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    I have been maintaiing my weight for almost 6 months. It's really scary at first because I felt like I ate and ate and ate. Once you adjust adn find out how much you can eat, and still maintain, it's eye opening. I continue with good habits...eating 5 small meals a day, eating a good amount of veggies and fruits, drinking lots of water. I have also vowed to weigh myself every Sunday mroning, as a check up. I have given myself a number that, if I see again, i will really have to cut back. So far, I havn't come close to that number. I have meals taht are not always healthy. However, overall, my eating habits stay pretty consistent. My grocery cart is mainly foods that are fresh and healthy. This has helped me keep my weight where it is. Excersise has also helped too and you feel great doign it!
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks MariarR33, I found your post very encouraging as I enter the maintenance phase.