New Running Shoe suggestions

Options

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My friends gave me the best suggestion ever......I'm going to a podiatrist to get a custom insert that will make any running shoes perfect for me. My appt is next week, so excited!

this is only partly true - and custom insoles will run you between 3-500 dollars. Depending on your gait, you will still need the RIGHT shoe for you. Cushioning, stability, etc.

I had the orthotics made, and they worked for awhile, and then the pain came back. I have since switched to Reebok RealFlex runners, and it is gone completely - and I don't wear the orthotics anymore.
  • keylimegirl65
    Options
    I went to a local company here called Big Peach Running and they spent a couple of hours with me to find my perfect shoe. I would highly recommend that you find a place like that where you live. They did several measurements of my feet including video of how I run on a treadmill to figure out pronation, etc. This was all free! He had my try on about 5 pairs from different manufacturers and I ended up with a pair of Asics that I love. They are not "brand loyal" so they will recommend what is best for your foot, not their bottom line.

Good luck!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and had my gait analyzed, and came home with a new pair of Brooks Dyads. I feel like I'm walking on clouds when I wear them. I'll probably be a Brooks girl for life, too.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store & was fitted with Brooks Ravena 3 - I love them! I agree a running shoe is very personal and if at all possible, go to a specialty shop to see what's best for you. I have heard that podiatrists either wear Brooks or Asics, though - a pretty good sign!

Oh - get rid of any cotton socks, too - try to find running socks (I find Thorlo's on sale at Marshall's all the time)

Good luck!
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Acis GT2160 based on this site...

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

then go to DSW to try out their running shoes. I like how they have lots of brands and they are new styles on display and no sales person to deal with so I can try on as many pairs as I want without having to feel like I have to buy one at the end.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to go to a running store and have a shoe fit. They will set you up with a good pair, that is right for your running style.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I just bought some Fila Skeletoes Voltage. I've only ran in them twice but so far I like them. The are sort of a mix between minimalist and normal running shoes. I got them for XC running but haven't had a chance to try them out on that sort of terrain yet.
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    I love my Newtons...they are a little pricey but worth every penny.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Absolutely in love with my Nike Lunarfly+ 3s. Pretty sure they're fairly cheap at ****'s right now.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I love my Newtons...they are a little pricey but worth every penny.

Newton's are cool - so many options within the shoe itself! :)
  • nomadlady7
    nomadlady7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would go to a speciality running store where they will analyze your running, listen to what you do and need. Avoid big box sports stores where they sell shoes. I go to Fleet Feet. In addition to having all the necessary equipment, they will order shoes that they don't carry. Also have frequent shopper benefits.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest going to a running store if you can, and have them analyze your stride and fit you for a shoe. Also, ask about their return policy to see if after using them for a bit and you possibly don't like them, you can still exchange them. Some stores have different policies about that, so I would definitely ask.

As for type of shoes, Runner's World and Running Times often have reviews of running shoes based on specific desires, like stiffness, cushioning, and other factors, depending on what you need out of a shoe. I have Vibram FiveFingers myself, because I found after years of dealing with knee issues, I decided to try minimalist, and have found that it worked for me. That doesn't work for everyone, especially for people who are used to wearing shoes, so I wouldn't recommend that approach right away. Good luck!
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well when I went to Finish Line, they asked me a ton of questions as to what I was looking for, did I want lightweight, comfort, blah blah blah. Your best bet will to go talk to someone in store so they can suggest what's good for you.
  • designsbybriana
    designsbybriana Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store and was fitted. I'm normally a size 10 - they said I should be at a size 10 1/2. I also don't need arch support. I found that the Saucony Woman's Triumph 9 were the most comfortable shoes out of everything I tried on. They are so comfortable they feel like slippers (which is what the woman said I should be looking for in a running shoe).

http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/productdetails?catId=cat10002&subCatId=cat1220398&showDefaultOption=true&stockNumber=10137-4&skuId=***4********10137-4*M110&productId=4-108310&&subCatId=cat1220398&productId=4-108310&stockNumber=10137-4&subCatTabId=&catId=cat10002&productdisplayName=Women's+Triumph+9&subcatdisplayName=Running&skuId=***4********10137-4*M110&pageIdentifier=productdetail&catdisplayName=Women&showDefaultOption=true

That is the url for the ones I got. They are high rated on their website too, but pricey at $130. Worth it if my feet don't go numb like they were before I switched shoes :) Good luck!! You really should go and get fitted and have them watch your walk to see if you need arch support.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Fleet Feet near you? If so you can go there and they will have you run/walk on a treadmill to see which shoe will fit best for your feet and running. Some of the shoes are expensive but they normally have a few different style at different prices. I got some there at they were $120.00.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Please please please please, get fitted at a running store, it's the best thing you can do for your feet, legs, your whole body. I used to buy whatever cheap/discounted/on-sale Nike/New Balance shoes I could find off the rack at regular stores and my knees, ankles and feet would be in so much pain and I was prone to sprains. I had no idea that I overpronate when I walk/run (my ankles roll inward). I found out when I was finally fitted at a store. I need stability shoes and most off the rack sneakers at department stores are for neutral gaits. Go to a running store, it is SO worth it. I didn't want to pay more than $100 for sneakers (I'm broke and cheap) but it really is worth it. I dragged my feet (no pun intended) for the longest time and refused to go and my friends that knew better finally convinced me to do it.

I like New Balances. I also have an extremely wide foot and they are the most comfortable for my duck feet.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi I think the best running shoe is the one that feels best on your foot. I have been going to a place called Portland running company.
    What they do for me is watch me walk....25 feet or better they watch for how my foot is turning.....how my hips line up etc. There are shoes that work best for flat feet, normal feet and high arch. I have a very high arch, my right hip is lower and what shoe I am wearing now is "Asics Gel Duomax GT 2150 Running Shoes SoLyte" Excellent on my feet and I love them but it may be the wrong shoe for you.
    I really think it is worth it to go to a running store. I have found that if you feel better you want to move more. The right fitting shoes have even helped with low back pain.
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    Just a few weeks ago me and my boyfriend got our feet fitted for shoes. To make sure we are wearing the right kind and they fit the right way. We went to tortoise and hare sports. They did the fitting for free. You can get walking or running shoes there. i would suggest going to a place that does something like they do to get the best shoes for you.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your gait. If you are a toe or midfoot striker, shoes are pretty irrelevant as long as they fit right and don't give you blisters, heel strikers are the ones that really need the right shoes.

Shoes like Vibrams force the issue (try heel striking in Vibrams and you'll be limping in half a block), the reason why pronation is not a consideration with Vibrams, they will turn you into a normal gait toe/midfoot striker, most people can only handle small doses at first though if they aren't already.

I run on pavement so want some meat under me, but I'm very much a midfoot striker, for me Saucony Kinvaras >>>> everything else. They are not a shoe for heel strikers though, at all.