This weight refuses to come off....

Options
So, I've started a routine about a month ago, I do cardio for about 30-40 minutes a day on the elliptical and then do a weight training session for about 30 minutes. When i started I was 158, I am now 153. I have done other weight loss programs without exercise and have lost 10 pounds in a month, I thought by adding cardio and weight training into my weight loss program that the weight would drop faster. I'm very frustrated that i feel like i'm busting my butt and am having such little results. I eat properly, I'm getting in about 1,300-1,400 cals a day.
This past weekend i went on a mini vacation and splurged the littlest bit and i gained two pounds, which i happend to take off this week, but what the heck is my body doing!? Anything I can do to max the weight loss by another pound a week??? Or has anyone else had this problem!?

Replies

• occupant
    occupant Posts: 2
    Options
    Perhaps your body doesn't metabolize the crap that's in most of today's foods. Try a Gluten-Free diet and see if that helps.

Start shopping at Trader Joe's (they have most Gluten-Free foods clearly labelled) but if you don't have one nearby then just go to the Farmer's Markets or look for GF foods at your big-box supermarkets (they DO exist! :)
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You're losing an average of 1.25 lbs per week, which is a good, healthy loss.

No, it's not dramatic, but it's a good pace. When you lost weight dramatically, did it stay off?

The two pound gain is probably retaining water from too much sodium from your splurge. (I doubt you overate by 7,000 calories).

Depending on how tall you are, you probably don't have much to lose at 153. If you only have about 20-30 lbs to lose, going much more than a pound per week isn't healthy.

You're doing fine, just don't give up.
  • mlvafiadis
    Options
    I actually did nutrisystem, and i kept it off for a whole 3 months before i started to gain it back. But i also ate like a pig!
    I plan on continuing what i'm doing, but i'm trying to get down to a healthy BMI and i'm SO SO SO close. I have to atleast get to 145 first, little goals. i have about 10 pounds to lose total.
  • Effster
    Effster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar issue where I've been exercising 30min-60min/day, counting calories (1200-1300/day), and I haven't lost any weight at all since April. I know in my heart that I probably need to eat more raw food (salads, fruits, uncooked veggies) , basically food actually found in nature since my body may have reached a level of toxicity from eating processed food that my metabolism isn't working the way it should. Right now I'm just maintaining, but for this month I'm telling myself to eat half raw every meal and see if that makes a difference. Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I actually did nutrisystem, and i kept it off for a whole 3 months before i started to gain it back. But i also ate like a pig!
    I plan on continuing what i'm doing, but i'm trying to get down to a healthy BMI and i'm SO SO SO close. I have to atleast get to 145 first, little goals. i have about 10 pounds to lose total.

"3 whole months" is not keeping it off. Keeping it off is maintaining for at least a year.

You experienced what many people experience on things like nutrisystem. It's not sustainable.

If you only have 10 lbs to lose, trying to lose faster than .5lb-1lb/week is not a good idea.
  • bcatgray
    bcatgray Posts: 41
    Options
    Have you tried switching up your cardio? Try the elliptical for 10/15 mins and then switch to a different machine, like the stair master or treadmill or bike for 10/15 mins and then switch again. Your body gets used to the same movement over and over and over and doesn't burn as much. I have noticed changes since my trainer has me doing that. I even added a quick walk around the building between switch ups.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Come join us at the group Eat More To Weigh Less... come get the answers to your questions, and yes it works!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

read this blog by one of it's members:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lillebanon/view/my-take-on-eating-more-to-weigh-less-254554
  • getthin4life
    Options
    You are having amazing results that will be long lasting. Keep up exercising! Great work
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose fat. Diet is 100% of the equation..... exercise is like icing on the proverbial low calorie, healthy diet cake.

If you are not losing as much as you want it is probably because a. you are retaining some water from the workouts or b. you are eating more and therefore are not in a deficit any longer.

And 5 lbs in a month is reasonable. I say just keep at it.