Toenail Trauma - normal?

Options
Hi there, I hope I don't gross anyone out by bringing this up - but I've got a toenail problem.

I briskly walked 10 miles this week (divided over two days). Last night, after my evening walk, I noticed that my big toenails were really sore and a bit swollen. Looking at them again this morning, it looks like they might be trying to detach.

The only other time I've lost toenails is due to something heavy stepping or falling on them - I've never had this problem from just walking. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do i need better sneakers (I wear Skechers sneakers to walk) How can I prevent this from happening? And is there any hope to keep my poor toenails through the summer flip-flop weather?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes don't fit properly. It's not unusual for distance runners to lose the occasional toenail but I've not heard of it from walking.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this at all and it makes me scared to be a runner! I would definitely consider going to a real 'foot performance' type store and have them measure your gate and get good sneakers!
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I used to bruise under my big toes from running. Found out from my chiro that I was not switching my shoes as often as I should.
    You should get new shoes every 3-4 months.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen from walking/running and also from using the elliptical. It's most definitely your shoes. They either don't have enough room, or they have too much room and your toes slide into the front while you walk. Definitely try out some better shoes and do the old-fashioned toe-smush with your finger and see if there's more room than the ones you use now. Also, your feet could be swelling and you need to accomodate for that when looking for new shoes.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Make sure that your toenails are clipped short and that your shoes are not too small! In cross country in high school, I wore a pair of flats that were just a tiny bit too small for me and ended up tearing off three toenails...one of them my big toe! Nasty nasty!!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's not that uncommon from what I've read. I've lost my second toenails twice from walking at a very fast pace for 5 miles at a clip. And my shoes fit well and are the right size. I think it's just the repeated hitting on one of the seams of the toe box for me. Boy does it hurt to touch the toe until the nail actually falls off. Sometimes you can just clip off the end and the rest stays attached. Strange, isn't it. Good luck!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I walked a 5k last year with shoes that were too tight. I had the biggest blisters I have ever had. A few days later, my pinky toenail fell off. So yes, walking can do that to you.