High volume, low calorie

Options
I've been getting very hungry around that special time of the month, ravenously hungry actually. I was wondering what others do when the cravings get too much and was also looking for a few suggestions on high volume, low calorie fare.

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Celery. Cucumber slices with vinegar and pepper. If you don't mind the carbs, pretzels dipped in mustard.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've been getting very hungry around that special time of the month, ravenously hungry actually. I was wondering what others do when the cravings get too much and was also looking for a few suggestions on high volume, low calorie fare.

Porridge oats, vegetable soup, spinach/cabbage curries...
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Celery. Cucumber slices with vinegar and pepper. If you don't mind the carbs, pretzels dipped in mustard.

Haha! You can tell you are a man. Celery and cucumber aren't going to satisfy anyone at that time of the month!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    celery and peanutbutter is a good taste boost to me and my beloved nutella, but ive found out rhubard has virtually no carbs in eat, love all the above mentioned.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Low fat popcorn, low fat pudding cup and a graham cracker crushed on top. Low sugar fudge pop, apple and nut butter.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    My go to's are an apple with low fat colby/jack cheese or greek yogurt (plain with vanilla and stevia) with a tablespoon or 2 of sliced natural almonds and berries. I also keep a bag of dark chocolate chips in the freezer and allow myself 10 chips to melt one at a time in my mouth. When I have to have something salty I found some "flame roasted" dry roasted nuts with sea salt work rather well. Good Luck!
  • IUGB
    IUGB Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn with salt and dark chocolate are my go-to snacks. I can't pretend to be satisfied by a small candy bar, so I just get more chocolate per bite :)
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers! *drools*
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Cans of tuna in water with zucchini. Face meet shovel!
  • na25na52
    na25na52 Posts: 9
    Options
    Ditto on the dark chocolate, I mean, go for 85%. It kinda curbs the hunger for some reason. Cinnamon and Fage Yogurt is good and filling, maybe throw a packet of splenda in. Green tea with Splenda takes care of my sugar craving too. When I want carbs, I go for a rice cake.

Don't get me wrong - this is nothing compared to a milkshake and burger, but it's better :)
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I like to eat something I'm not craving thats healthy and filling (like a bowl of oatmeal) that will help keep me from pigging out on the yummy stuff...then I just slowly eat whatever I am craving.

My biggest downfall is salt. I'll come home hungry from work and if I start eating potato chips first I'll end up eating a huge amount, but if I eat an apple with almond butter first or some oatmeal then I'll just snack a little on the chips. :-) You get full from the healthy stuff and you stop your craving by eating a little of whatever it is you want...
    :smile:
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am still on a testing stage but here is one.

Kellogs fruit crisps 100 cals & large coffee ( some almond milk & sweetener)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello. HUGE bowl is 40 cals and I dare you to eat more than that and not puke :)
  • KassieCanDoThis
    Options
    All types of melon, Puffed cereal with soy milk and sugar free chocolate syrup, berries, and these are a little on the pricey side but vita muffins and artic zero ice cream are so good!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I frequently make up a huge batch of roasted vegetables eg assorted peppers, courgettes, aubergines, red onions, garlic and tomatoes, with lots of black pepper. You can have masses for well under a hundred calories and can make it up with a huge salad too for a massive meal at under 150 calories. Left overs can be stored in the fridge and nibbled at cold or reheated. Some fet or cottage cheese could be put ovet the top if you have extra calories.
  • 69honeys
    69honeys Posts: 3
    Options
    I started on 172kg and have been this weight for years and work in active construction rolls, I managed alone with out the gym just by using Isowhey Complete meal replacement to drop to 149kg over 4 months. I have since been doing cardio treadmill 30 minutes to an hour with a cal burn rate of around 650-700 per day. I have been able to manage the hold on weight and last checked was at 146-147kg.

I have been using "my fitness pal" since may as a calourie guide and it says for me I should be on about 2500 cal per day which to be honest is a struggle to get to and generally maintain about 1600-1800cal per day which Im sure is still ok. I do need to find some operating scales to see if I have dropped any more weight.

Does any one else have issue getting close to their calourie goal per day? I generally have 2 shakes per day and have for the first time in months added scrambled eggs to the work diet as it was not long ago that i seem to plateau in the weight loss with maintaining 149kg for about 6 weeks and could not work out what was happening so started pushing myself to Jog

just seeking advice to those who have been on this for some time..................cheers all
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i drink more water.. and try not to think about it.