Any suggestions? A month in and NOTHING is happening.

Options

Replies

• Jennchel
    Jennchel Posts: 16
    Options
    Tons of great advice here! Some you should take, some maybe you shouldn't. Let me be (maybe) the first to tell you Great Job! :happy: You're doing really well! :smile: Alot of people would have given up by now, but no, you came here looking for help. So what if you're doing some stuff wrong, you'll figure it out. You'll get it right. The fact that you gave up alot, and are working out is a huge step! :bigsmile: Keep learning and making changes. Keep tracking your food and asking advice. The best thing I can suggest you changing right now is giving up fast food. Make that change ( I know, it's a biggy) and see what happens. You've already made the biggest and hardest decision, and that was to change your life. The rest will fall in to place with a little hard work. Keep your head up!
  • omariec85
    omariec85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Push yourself harder with new or more intense exercising. Incorporate weight lifting increase your protein consumption and reduce your refined sugar and flour intake.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Look like everything has been covered, so I really have nothing to add.

Just wanted to point out how well the OP is handling all the constructive criticism. You don't see that too much around here. I really feel like she is going to take the advice and make a change for the better!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I know you have gotten a lot of replies and I have yet to read them all. I was in a similar situation and the main advice I got from people is to eat cleaner. Eating out often is very high in sodium, and your sugar in take is high. If you love Chik Fil A, when you get the sandwich, don't eat the bun? Eat half the fries? My diary is horrible, but I am really trying as well!
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    I know a lot of people have posted so I don't know if I have much to add. I can see your sodium and sugar on your diary now and those may be two areas to focus since you are over in those areas most days (I looked back over the last 3 weeks). You may check your milk as it seems that it has a lot of sugar in it.

Also I noted that you are not tracking your water. You may want to start tracking it as well and make sure that you are getting enough especially with the additional sodium.

I buy no salt butter and anything I can with low salt. Processed foods (especially soups and frozen dinners as well as fast food) are quite high in sodium.

Keep up the good work. The weight will come off.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice here!
    I also am having this problem and would welcome any constructive criticism/advice/ encouragement on the issue as well.
    Feel free to take a peek at my logs and add me as well.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I see that others have commented on the same observation as I am making, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. All calories are NOT created equally. You need to educate yourself on macronutrients and how they are used by your body to fuel your day. First off, you are not eating enough calories in a day to allow for your body to even do its basic functions. Secondly, you are not eating frequently enough. When you eat the garbage that you are putting into your body three times a day, all your body does is stores it as fat because there is nothing of value in the food you are consuming. CLEAN IT UP or quit expecting your body to change. That is brutal honesty, but sometimes we need it. I'm speaking from experience. ;-) Try eating every three hours with 30 grams of CLEAN AND LEAN protein with every meal. Chicken, turkey, egg whites, etc. Aim for 200-300 calories per meal. You will never be hungry if you eat clean. You will have a lot of food every three hours that will keep you full, yet encourage your body to release fat stores. When your body doesn't get constant refueling throughout the day so it can perform even the involuntary functions like digestion, breathing, and pumping blood, it will horde everything it can and store it as fat to use at a later time because it thinks it is in starvation mode. You CAN do this, but you need to make real changes if you want results. I believe in you!!
    I wont get into a debate here, but you absolutely do not need to eat every 3 hours, this is bro science.
    However the other points you have made, is sound advice :smile:

To be fair, there is some foundation in it in that a lot of people wait until they're famished to eat, then binge on all sorts of stuff (or just way too much), especially when we've been taught to eat three meals a day, and then cutting down on the meal size to try to lose weight. Eating every couple of hours helps regulate and avoid that for a lot of people.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Here is what I see. Your calories aren't too bad, but you are very heavy in carbs, very low in protein and you eat out WAY too much. You need to eat cleaner. When you eat out, including subway, they are loaded with sodium. If you add that to your tracker, you are probably consuming 4000mg + which is why your body is holding on. If you can, start making food yourself.

True, but Subway > Chick-Fil-A, overall (plus, the salt issue is generally a deli meat issue, regardless of where you get it). It becomes another step in the right direction in the event that cooking at home is, for whatever reason, not a feasible option.
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's only partly about calories counting. The percentages are so important and sticking to them makes a difference (in me anyway) in whether or not you lose weight. I'd try a traditional 40/30/30 (protein, carb, fat) ratio and really stick to it, That means not going over your percentage in any category. Give it a try for a couple weeks. What do you have to lose?!

Here's a link to my blog where I talk about percentages and how I use them:

http://busymomofnine.blogspot.com/2012/04/about-percentages.html
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Tons of great advice here! Some you should take, some maybe you shouldn't. Let me be (maybe) the first to tell you Great Job! :happy: You're doing really well! :smile: Alot of people would have given up by now, but no, you came here looking for help. So what if you're doing some stuff wrong, you'll figure it out. You'll get it right. The fact that you gave up alot, and are working out is a huge step! :bigsmile: Keep learning and making changes. Keep tracking your food and asking advice. The best thing I can suggest you changing right now is giving up fast food. Make that change ( I know, it's a biggy) and see what happens. You've already made the biggest and hardest decision, and that was to change your life. The rest will fall in to place with a little hard work. Keep your head up!

Second this. :smile:

Also, to add. I have a hard time losing weight, too, so I know how frustrating it can be. Just keep it up and keep working at it!

To also add, since it hasn't been mentioned, if you clean up your eating habits, add in strength training, etc. and still don't see results, don't be afraid to talk to your doctor. Getting a little personalized help from a nutritionist helped me a ton a while back. Additionally, your doctor can have you tested for some of the common physiological things that hinder weight loss (especially in women), that way, you can make sure you're not fighting a losing battle and can get the tools you need to overcome any medical issues if you have them.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Try cleaning up what you eat. You eat out a TON, and at places that are notorious for high-calorie, low nutritional value, and high saturated fat foods.

Make a goal to start cooking at home if you can (even if it's a big cooking spree on Sunday and leftovers the rest of the week). If you *really* can't do that, or you need time to adjust and can't just switch cold turkey, start picking different restaurants. Instead of Taco Bell, go to Chipotle (where you can actually see them cooking the whole cuts of steak or chicken or pork). Instead of Chick-Fil-A or Arby's, go to Subway. Things like that.

It looks like you do great on the weekends, but your weeks may seem too busy for cooking, so I'd try the cook on Sunday thing and do leftovers for the weekday meals.

Also, as others have said, add in some strength training. Cardio generally only works while you're doing it, but strength training not only has the "afterburn" effect (ie - you don't burn quite as much while actively training, but you continue to burn calories for many hours after, as your body repairs), but adding muscle helps keep your metabolism up, meaning you burn more calories while doing any activity (even sitting), than your less-muscled self.

Finally, don't just look at the scale, and make sure you don't get hung up on the number (especially if you start strength training). Keep track of it so you get a trend, but don't worry about the individual numbers. Get a tailor's measuring tape and take measurements. Look at how your clothes are fitting differently. What I like to do is get a pair of pants that are snug to tight and use them as my "goal/NSV" pants (I tend to wear loose clothing, so this helps me see changes when the scale isn't moving).

^^This^^

Also, I would agree to stay away from the scale. Start measuring yourself weekly and logging it like Waist, Thighs, arms etc... I have found that the scale can get you down. I have had months where it did not move at all. But by measuring I found I was losing 1/2 inch to an 1 inch a week. The scale did not tell me that.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I started my weightloss journey almost 2 months tomorrow and lost just 3 lbs.
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Try cleaning up what you eat. You eat out a TON, and at places that are notorious for high-calorie, low nutritional value, and high saturated fat foods.

Make a goal to start cooking at home if you can (even if it's a big cooking spree on Sunday and leftovers the rest of the week). If you *really* can't do that, or you need time to adjust and can't just switch cold turkey, start picking different restaurants. Instead of Taco Bell, go to Chipotle (where you can actually see them cooking the whole cuts of steak or chicken or pork). Instead of Chick-Fil-A or Arby's, go to Subway. Things like that.

It looks like you do great on the weekends, but your weeks may seem too busy for cooking, so I'd try the cook on Sunday thing and do leftovers for the weekday meals.

Also, as others have said, add in some strength training. Cardio generally only works while you're doing it, but strength training not only has the "afterburn" effect (ie - you don't burn quite as much while actively training, but you continue to burn calories for many hours after, as your body repairs), but adding muscle helps keep your metabolism up, meaning you burn more calories while doing any activity (even sitting), than your less-muscled self.

Finally, don't just look at the scale, and make sure you don't get hung up on the number (especially if you start strength training). Keep track of it so you get a trend, but don't worry about the individual numbers. Get a tailor's measuring tape and take measurements. Look at how your clothes are fitting differently. What I like to do is get a pair of pants that are snug to tight and use them as my "goal/NSV" pants (I tend to wear loose clothing, so this helps me see changes when the scale isn't moving).

Absolutely this. Eating out is killer. Caused me to gain 20 lbs in about 3-4 months. Start cooking at home!

100% agree.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I usually get a salad when we go on playdates, but not always! Another great idea that I figured out on my 2nd kiddo is to take snacks. We might get nuggets or soup at CFA, but we would bring our own baby carrots, raisins, whole wheat crackers, banana, etc. The employees generally don't care at all, particularly since you're already purchasing something from them anyway.

I've lost weight several times (This is my 3rd weight loss journey where I've actually tracked - I have to stop and start over each time I get pregnant! Darn it! LOL) while also choosing to continue to go out to eat. I agree with the poster that said eating at home is only good if you're actually cooking more wholesome things at home than you'd be eating out. I can guarantee that just "eating at home" doesn't help if there are pounds of butter and bags of cheese all over the food, ykwim? ;)

I think taking measurements might be more motivating at this point if the scale is being stubborn. You're doing all that hard work at the gym and I'll bet that more is going on than the scale is showing - and you should be able to see that progress in those #s! :)

Congrats to you for making the decision to be healthier! It is hard to decide to make these huge changes in your lifestyle, so kudos to you for your dedication! Keep up the good work. :)
  • sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I see that others have commented on the same observation as I am making, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. All calories are NOT created equally. You need to educate yourself on macronutrients and how they are used by your body to fuel your day. First off, you are not eating enough calories in a day to allow for your body to even do its basic functions. Secondly, you are not eating frequently enough. When you eat the garbage that you are putting into your body three times a day, all your body does is stores it as fat because there is nothing of value in the food you are consuming. CLEAN IT UP or quit expecting your body to change. That is brutal honesty, but sometimes we need it. I'm speaking from experience. ;-) Try eating every three hours with 30 grams of CLEAN AND LEAN protein with every meal. Chicken, turkey, egg whites, etc. Aim for 200-300 calories per meal. You will never be hungry if you eat clean. You will have a lot of food every three hours that will keep you full, yet encourage your body to release fat stores. When your body doesn't get constant refueling throughout the day so it can perform even the involuntary functions like digestion, breathing, and pumping blood, it will horde everything it can and store it as fat to use at a later time because it thinks it is in starvation mode. You CAN do this, but you need to make real changes if you want results. I believe in you!!
    I wont get into a debate here, but you absolutely do not need to eat every 3 hours, this is bro science.

To be fair, there is some foundation in it in that a lot of people wait until they're famished to eat, then binge on all sorts of stuff (or just way too much), especially when we've been taught to eat three meals a day, and then cutting down on the meal size to try to lose weight. Eating every couple of hours helps regulate and avoid that for a lot of people.

I agree with the more frequent meals advice, I eat 5x a day and it works great for me, plus over 100g protein a day keeps me from rarely feeling super hungry and overeating.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I have a Polar heart rate monitor that I wear during all exercise- it takes into account my age, weight, etc and it is timed. That should be pretty accurate with the calories burned, right?

Yes, that sounds like a good set up.
  • laurakdp
    laurakdp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To also add, since it hasn't been mentioned, if you clean up your eating habits, add in strength training, etc. and still don't see results, don't be afraid to talk to your doctor. Getting a little personalized help from a nutritionist helped me a ton a while back. Additionally, your doctor can have you tested for some of the common physiological things that hinder weight loss (especially in women), that way, you can make sure you're not fighting a losing battle and can get the tools you need to overcome any medical issues if you have them.

Thanks for the advice- I saw a nutritionist once before, I should totally go back!
    I did just have a whole "everything but the kitchen sink" blood panel run last month due to "repeated random miscarriages". They checked my thyroid and all that so I think it's all good there!
    I know you have gotten a lot of replies and I have yet to read them all. I was in a similar situation and the main advice I got from people is to eat cleaner. Eating out often is very high in sodium, and your sugar in take is high. If you love Chik Fil A, when you get the sandwich, don't eat the bun? Eat half the fries? My diary is horrible, but I am really trying as well!
    I TRY to do the grilled chicken with fruit (or the regular sandwich with fruit if I'm really hungry for it).

I guess it all comes down to I want to make a lifestyle change, not go on a diet. If I am eating perfectly, I will not stick with it, I know myself. I will DEFINITELY try to cut back on the fast food (once every 2 weeks maybe?), overall I think I just need to step away from the scale! :) It will take a while, but I will just continue to tell myself that what I'm doing now is better than what I WAS doing and exercising this often and drinking this much more water isn't going to make me GAIN weight. It just takes time!
  • Jeanniegrace
    Options
    Just keep at it and good things will happen. This definately is not the easiest task we have to do.
    But I am going to stick with it.
    Best of luck to you!!
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    I looked at your food diary, and I agree: you eat way too much carbs and not enough protein. Cut down on the carbs, especially sugars and grains. Change your macro settings. Also add some healthy fats: olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, nuts, fish, black olives. You're going to see the difference.

Nachos and tacos for lunch? What kind of nutritious meal is that?

And yes, you need to eat your exercise calories back. Your body is just not receiving enough fuel, so it is holding on to all that fat.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I agree.