Does anyone lose wt. eating 1200 calories or less?

Options

Replies

• little_lisid
    little_lisid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want when you want, just keep an eye on your health as with any change in eating habbits. I eat once or at most twice a day and usually 1000-1200, sometimes more, sometimes less. Check out intermittent fasting if eating in that time pattern is working for you - its just another idea about what might work for some people. Others will hate it and demonise it without giving it a go.

By the way, if anyone can find any peer reviewed scientific based article that demonstrates starvation mode I would love to see it. I am not talking about the one where someone does some stats on people that do and don't eat breakfast without taking into consideration the rest of their diet/health/fitness traits in their lives. If starvation mode exists how come I have lost 10.5kgs/23pounds? oh well - basis comes back to do what works for you and listen to your body.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    And why would you even make a blanket statement like that? You don't know me. You don't know what works for me. You have no idea the type of healthy lifestyle I live. So how in the world would you know what was going on inside of my body? Are you a doctor? My doctor?

Calm down...no need to be so aggressive. You do whatever you want with your body, but some people might not want to do that. We are collecting opinions, aren't we?

No, we are offering advice based on what works for us, not telling her what she should be doing. You basically accused me of killing my metabolism by eating the way I do. Sorry for taking it out on you, but that is one thing that drives me nuts with the forum these days. Too many people who think they know what's best for everyone else. My apologies it was directed towards you. :)
  • Joanortl
    Joanortl Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with you...everyone is different. I need to start out at 800-900 calories for about 2 weeks to get my body into the mode of starting to lose weight. Then, I bump it up to 1000, then 1100 but can't go over 1200 or my weight loss will stall. Journaling and keeping track of what I eat works best for me...it's amazing how it all adds up!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

900-1,000 calories helps me lose weight, 1,000-1,100 calories helps me maintain my weight and 1,200+ calories makes me gain weight.

Wow, you just killed your metabolism...

Not at all.

How can you maintain at 1200 calories a day?
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have been at 1200 or less for about 7 months with no plateau. On really heavy workout days I sometimes go to 1400 but I almost always net below 1000. No issues for me and 96 lbs gone.

I also restrict my carbs and try to restrict my sodium (that sometimes fails miserably). I have never had a gain and do not feel "starved". I just have learned to make better choices with my calories.

I also feel a **** ton (to steal a phrase from my old boss) better then I did before I started this new way of life in Nov.

** That is s**t ton. I got censored. Censorship is bad.
  • babyschatz
    babyschatz Posts: 15
    Options

No, we are offering advice based on what works for us, not telling her what she should be doing. You basically accused me of killing my metabolism by eating the way I do. Sorry for taking it out on you, but that is one thing that drives me nuts with the forum these days. Too many people who think they know what's best for everyone else. My apologies it was directed towards you. :)

Forums are not exactly the best source for seeking nutritional advice in the first place, especially this one, as I see. We are not the ones to give professional advice anyways. I didn't say it was best for everyone, I just expressed my point. There are plenty of people with the same view, and I believe it is fair for it to be mentioned. The TS can choose whatever she wants for her life. You keep doing what you are doing and whatever works for you, and I will be enjoying my 2000+ a day :)
  • gapskinny
    gapskinny Posts: 5
    Options
    You have some good advice from your fellow MFP members. You have to follow what is right for you. The most important point though, is what is making up those 1200 calories. If you are eating lots of great things for your body like lean protein, whole grains, and veggies, you are doing the right thing. If you are binging on 1200 of bad calories, you are going to make yourself sick.
    I fluctuate every day in my calorie intake. I try and stay below 1500 calories a day, but they are nutritious calories. What extra calories I'm eating I"m trying to take back with exercise. Just like everybody else said on here, you know your body. Having friends being supportive also really helps. I have a friend who motivates me with exercise and sends me messages everyday. It helps. So have a good day today, and you are doing great !
  • bjohs
    Options

900-1,000 calories helps me lose weight, 1,000-1,100 calories helps me maintain my weight and 1,200+ calories makes me gain weight.

Not at all.

Easily. Like I said, I sit at a desk all the time. I exercise regularly but mostly walking. I'm not looking to lean up right now. I'm not looking to build muscle and create definition right now either. I'm just living life and maintaining my weight loss. When I start hitting the weights then I will adjust those numbers accordingly... but for now, after 2.5 years of tracking, those numbers are what works for me personally.
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    Thank you all for your opinions. There are some people who believe in eating more wt less and they want everyone to follow the same thing. Everyone is different and everyone's body works differently. What works for one might not work for others. I don't like when people ask for advice on the forum and get judged by others b/c they have different opinions. If eating alot work for you it does not work for me. I got to this point from eatimg a lot even with personal trainer. This time I find something that works for me. I am going to stick to it until it does not work anymore than I will change it. I Take my vitamins and drink looooots of water. The people with gastric by pass and lap band lose wt. don't they? They are healthy too.
  • babyschatz
    Options

Not at all.

Easily. Like I said, I sit at a desk all the time. I exercise regularly but mostly walking. I'm not looking to lean up right now. I'm looking to build muscle and create definition. I'm just living life and maintaining my weight loss. When I start hitting the weights then I will adjust those numbers accordingly... but for now, after 2.5 years of tracking, those numbers are what works for me personally.

There is no possible way to build muscle on 1200 a day. Calories in vs calories out.
  • Kimalene
    Kimalene Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, you most certainly can lose weight eating 1200 calories a day. I did. I lost 67 lbs eating 1360 calories! I did MFP faithfully for 4 months and if happened for me it can happen for you! Good Luck!
  • bjohs
    Options
    I do just fine and I'm certainly not starving on 1,200 or less a day. :)

Breakfast = Approximately 500 calories

DSC_0621_sm.gif

Lunch = Approximately 300 calories

DSC_0634_sm.jpg

Dinner = Approximately 200 calories

DSC_0647_sm.jpg

Morning, Afternoon and Evening Snacks = Approximately 50 calories

8-10 cups of water per day and green tea for other beverage.
    I also take a probiotic with my meals because I can't stand yogurt.
  • bjohs
    Options

Not at all.

Easily. Like I said, I sit at a desk all the time. I exercise regularly but mostly walking. I'm not looking to lean up right now. I'm looking to build muscle and create definition. I'm just living life and maintaining my weight loss. When I start hitting the weights then I will adjust those numbers accordingly... but for now, after 2.5 years of tracking, those numbers are what works for me personally.

There is no possible way to build muscle on 1200 a day. Calories in vs calories out.

Edit to remove my snarky remark and FIX my own typo. That should read "I'm NOT looking to build muscle and create definition." Good grief, TOM is killing me. I know better than to visit the forum during this week. Sorry!!! LOL
  • lagourmande18
    lagourmande18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really think you should speak to your doctor and a dietitian about what is a healthy amount to be eating per day with what your lifestyle is (how active, your job, number of hours sitting vs. standing, etc.) and what your goals are.

If you eat less than what you need for your resting metabolic state, you will lose weight, but it is an unhealthy weight loss. And one that will unsustainable in the long run. Once you go below the minimum number of calories your body needs to perform essential tasks, your body starts breaking down ALL materials in your body, not just fat and excess weight. It will also start to break down muscle tissue and use it for sustenance. And this is very dangerous. You never want your body to enter into starvation mode.

And remember, weight loss takes time. 1-2 lbs per week is healthy, anything more than that tends to be unsustainable in the long run. The most important thing is changing your lifestyle to something that you can sustain for life. It's the only way to keep the weight off permanently. A quick fix is no different than a fad diet. You'll end up putting all the weight back on and more when you return to eating "normally". And everyone plateaus, it's frustrating, but it happens.

Bottom line: check with a registered health care professional as to what you should be eating, how much, how frequently, and what a realistic weight loss should be for you in a specific time period. Their opinion is the most important because it's their job to keep you healthy and safe. People on this site can provide advice, but it may not be accurate and/or healthy. And longterm all weight loss is about achieving a healthy lifestyle overall.

Also, check out http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/ It's a documentary on weight gain in the States (you can stream it for free from their site) and has various interesting exercise and fitness options that certain States have set up. There may be a similar program near you that can help. Additionally, they talk about how just increasing your exercise and even losing small increments of weight slowly makes a huge impact on your overall health.

For me: I eat 1200-1400 calories per day and work out at least 45 minutes, 6 days a week. And I try to eat 5 times a day - breakfast, mid-morning snack (yogurt cup/banana), lunch, late afternoon snack (cos we eat dinner late), and dinner. I've been losing weight steadily. I'm not a gym person, so you'll rarely find me in one, unless they have a fun class!
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I think people worry entirely too much or don't understand the calorie deficit to be honest. I eat 1200 calories a day and I've love 7 pounds this month and I started at eat1500 and I didn't' really see much for 2 weeks... so I bumped it down little by little and I've like 3 pounds this week and I do stick to at least 1200-1300 everyday. I just burn a lot throughout the day and when I actually exercise. Just make sure that you don't get dizzy or a headache and your probably fine. But if you are seriously SERIOUSLY concerned, ask you doctor, because none of us on here (most likely) have a degree in nutrition.
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have lost a little over 33 pounds since the first of the year eating a base of 1200 calories. I work out almost every day and eat some but not all of my workout calories back. I have, usually, one day a week that I am over my calorie goal but i still track everything I eat. Works for me. I hope you find what works for you.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 1200 , but I eat most of my exercise calories back. Some days I go a little over or under I'm not to strict on what I eat but I do try to eat some healthy food. As long as your feeling good and are not light headed have energy ect. You should be ok. Listen to your body that's the most important thing I think.
    I lost 27 pounds since the end of January.
  • robinbarten
    Options

Forums are not exactly the best source for seeking nutritional advice in the first place, especially this one, as I see. We are not the ones to give professional advice anyways. I didn't say it was best for everyone, I just expressed my point. There are plenty of people with the same view, and I believe it is fair for it to be mentioned. The TS can choose whatever she wants for her life. You keep doing what you are doing and whatever works for you, and I will be enjoying my 2000+ a day :)

I so agree with you. There is no way I could only eat 1200 cal or less everyday. I would not have energy and be tired.
  • babyschatz
    Options

Not at all.

Edit to remove my snarky remark and FIX my own typo. That should read "I'm NOT looking to build muscle and create definition." Good grief, TOM is killing me. I know better than to visit the forum during this week. Sorry!!! LOL

Read you post carefully, please. I didn't change anything in it...just got rid on "quotes" on my new text. Good night.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I lose on 1200 but I am only at 112.5 lbs. While you can lose on 112 lbs, I'd eat more now so that when you need to drop lower as you get lighter, you have room to drop. If you eat 1200 now, and your body gets used to it, what will you do once you've lost more? Yes, you will still lose, but more slowly I believe than if you work your way down as your body weight drops.

I am 5'5 and currently weigh 181 lbs. MFP has me at 1510 cal, but I am very active and typically earn quite a few exercise calories. Some of which I log and some I don't. I eat around 1500 on days I don't work out and closer to 1800 on days that I do work out. Before joining MFP and learning better health I started out at 212 lbs and wanted to lose weight so I just decided that 1200 cal decided like a good number and I did lose weight and rather fast. But as fast as I lost weight was as fast as I stalled out and found it very difficult to continue the loss. I believe unless you are very very inactive or already close to goal weight that 1200 is just too low to fuel your body .

I agree with the statement above in that as you lose weight you are suppose to reduce your calories to continue the weight loss or exercise more or eventually the weight will stop coming off as your body learns what to expect. I am proof of it. I am now working my way back up and buidling my metabolism back up to an acceptable level so i can drop calories again and ultimately lose more weight.

I disagree with the "whatever works" statements. Take those with a grain of salt. Whatever works isn't always whatever is right or what will work for life. If you stop losing weight at 1200 calories and decide to drop it lower..do you think you could keep up with eating 900 calories the rest of your life and get proper nutrition? Probably not.