Great Tasting and Good For You Carbs???

Options

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of research about how grains are bad for you. I didn't make it up, do some research.

Humans have been cultivating and eating grains since, I don't know, the end of the paleolithic era. We've been eating them for at least 6,000, if not 8,000-10,000 years. If our bodies had problems with them (besides the people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease) we wouldn't have been eating them for so long.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What I said made no sense without the quote below.
  • scagneti
    Options
    There is a ton of research about how grains are bad for you. I didn't make it up, do some research.

Humans have been cultivating and eating grains since, I don't know, the end of the paleolithic era. We've been eating them for at least 6,000, if not 8,000-10,000 years. If our bodies had problems with them (besides the people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease) we wouldn't have been eating them for so long.

In other words, a small fraction of a percent of our existance.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I like Ezekial Sesame ...
    BUT if the cals are the issue, Arnold Whole Grain Sandwich thins are good...

Quinoa (I'm sure that's spelled wrong), is DELICIOUS and super healthy. I also like brown basmati rice a lot. I consider sweet potatoes a good, nutrient rich way to "spend" my carbs.

I've learned to love a good whole wheat wrap for a sandwich, but the "wrap" size tortillas are HUGE, so I'll use regular size tortillas to make wraps, or eat 1/2 of a big one.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Why do you think this matters.

Do you understand how evolutionary adaptations work? Or the role of gut-microbia in human digestion?
  • popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey! I looked and searched for a bread that was healthy and delicious. I really liked Ezekeil 4:9 for the health aspect but it was just okay taste wise. At 80 cals a slice it didn't kill my diary.

Then, I found trader joe's sprouted whole wheat fiber bread. It's 90 calories a slice and I think it's much more fluffy and delicious than Ezekeil.

If you are just looking for low calorie bread, and you don't really care much about how healthy it is the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread tastes fine. It's just full of ingredients that aren't exactly wholesome.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    One of my very favorite healthy carb foods is sweet potato!

I'm gluten intolerant, so I don't have many options for bread... however, I love Udi's whole grain sandwich bread. It's 75 calories a slice. Udi's also makes amazing cinnamon raisin bread that's 80 calories per slice.
  • scagneti
    Options

Do you understand how evolutionary adaptations work? Or the role of gut-microbia in human digestion?

Nope. But I'm sure that you've googled a few lame sources that back up your point of view that no one cares about.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

is it really necessary to be so condescending to make your point?
  • scagneti
    Options
    One of my very favorite healthy carb foods is sweet potato!

I'm gluten intolerant, so I don't have many options for bread... however, I love Udi's whole grain sandwich bread. It's 75 calories a slice. Udi's also makes amazing cinnamon raisin bread that's 80 calories per slice.

Sweet potatoes are yummy. Too bad they can't make bread from them, right? That would be awesome.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Is there even such a thing as great tasting and good for you in the card department? My downfall is bread, all types of bread:sad: ! I know that the whole wheat is supposed to be my best friend, but can any of you recommend another type of bread with flavor, but doesn't spike my caloric count? I'm all eyes and ears on this one :happy:
    FRUIT!!!!!!! (skip the bread) The more fruit you eat, the the better equipped you are to handle cravings for the carbohydrates in bread.
  • scagneti
    Options

is it really necessary to be so condescending to make your point?

I've found that people who don't put their real pictures and post tickers indicating zero weight loss are a) the first ones to offer advice b) always condescending
  • NoAdditives
    Options

I doubt the people of the paleolithic would have wasted their time cultivating crops that were not nutritionally beneficial in some way. And while I am aware of the fact that cultures that relied on grains as a primary source of their nutrition did suffer from poor nutrition, that doesn't mean that grains can't be included in a healthy diet.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I like Ezekial Sesame ...

Ezekial breads are pretty good. They use sprouted grains which are supposed to be better for you.

Just a note to the bicekering going back and forth over grains/breads being good or bad for you. This doesn't exactly pertain to the majority of the population. Everyone reacts differently to different foods. Some people out there cannot handle grains, but it is a small percentage. Just like there is a percentage of people who cant tolerate dairy. Don't throw everyone into the mix just because you feel that grains are bad for you.

The OP wanted some ideas and alternatives to regular bread. Don't hi-jack her thread for your own cause.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

Nope. But I'm sure that you've googled a few lame sources that back up your point of view that no one cares about.

Wow. Really? You don't care that it could be possible that the human body evolved and adapted to having grains as a part of our diet?
  • scagneti
    Options

Wow. Really? You don't care that it could be possible that the human body evolved and adapted to having grains as a part of our diet?

The awesome thing about the internet is one is always able to find like minded people -- no matter how pathetic. I'm sure that "Ron Swanson" was able to google such sources.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    we made cauliflower crust pizza for dinner tonight. i had half a 12" pie for just over 500 calories. and it was amazing.

the calorie count isn't considerably different than a regular pizza, but the protein count is enormous and the fiber count is pretty good, too. the carb count is fantastic. and did i mention it is amazing? A.MA.ZING.

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

there are all kinds of ways to put cauliflower into "bread" form, so you can feel somewhat relieved to satisfy a craving without blowing your carbs

This is very interesting, I'm going to ahve to check into this. Thanks for sharing!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread very often....I love it, but it doesn't like me. When I do treat myself I eat Dave's killer sprouted grain. It is not low calorie but so yummy!!!

Check it out http://www.daveskillerbread.com/killer-bread/nutritional-comparison.html
  • bugjudy
    bugjudy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Always look at the carb content of a loaf of bread -- try to select the ones that are 6 or 8% of daily recommended value. Allow yourself 2 slices per day.

You'll be surprised to see so-called "healthy" bread can have up to 12%!

My fav is SILVER HILLS Squirrelly Grain Bread - 6% - one of the lowest I can find.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Try switching occasionally from bread to a more nutritionally dense carb, like quinoa. You can cook and eat it just like you would rice or oatmeal, and it's LOADED with vitamins and minerals.

If you really want bread, try a sprouted grain bread, like Ezekiel bread.