Does BMI mean crap in terms of health?

Options
I really don't think it does. I always thought of BMI as a general guideline for what's a good weight, not a set determination of how healthy or unhealthy you are. I have a BMI of 16.7 but I feel like one of the fittest, healthiest folk out there. I eat awesomely, I can do yoga, and I'm not a runner but I could totally run at least a mile without stopping and I'm fairly strong. Yet I have people who want to tell me how unhealthy I am because my BMI isn't 18.5+ (they say as they shove burgers and soda down their gullet).

Does anyone else agree with me? I just hate when people think I'm unhealthy and they base it solely of my BMI.

Replies

• TasTam
    TasTam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you feel good and think you're eating properly, it doesn't matter what others think but you do say in your profile that you do not think of yourself as healthy, so your statement is a little contradictory!!! How do you really feel?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it does. I always thought of BMI as a general guideline for what's a good weight, not a set determination of how healthy or unhealthy you are. I have a BMI of 16.7 but I feel like one of the fittest, healthiest folk out there. I eat awesomely, I can do yoga, and I'm not a runner but I could totally run at least a mile without stopping and I'm fairly strong. Yet I have people who want to tell me how unhealthy I am because my BMI isn't 18.5+ (they say as they shove burgers and soda down their gullet).

Does anyone else agree with me? I just hate when people think I'm unhealthy and they base it solely of my BMI.

No, it's not always accurate. It's a general tool that was developed to help make predictions about populations. It doesn't take into account heavy musculature or frame size. It is however, reasonably accurate for many people.

I don't know anything about you except your weight from your profile and that it appears you're recovering from an ED. If you're 114 pounds and have a BMI of 16.7 that probably is far too low.

What's your height? Your body fat percentage? It would be helpful to know those things, but your friends probably are right. Just because you eat more doesn't mean you have to eat the way they do, although an occasional burger and soda never killed anybody.
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you feel good and think you're eating properly, it doesn't matter what others think but you do say in your profile that you do not think of yourself as healthy, so your statement is a little contradictory!!! How do you really feel?

I wrote my description when I first started recovering from my ED, which was two months ago. Since then I've learned to appreciate my body for all it does and I've gotten really healthy.
  • veggieshark
    Options

No, it's not always accurate. It's a general tool that was developed to help make predictions about populations. It doesn't take into account heavy musculature or frame size. It is however, reasonably accurate for many people.

I don't know anything about you except your weight from your profile and that it appears you're recovering from an ED. If you're 114 pounds and have a BMI of 16.7 that probably is far too low.

What's your height? Your body fat percentage? It would be helpful to know those things, but your friends probably are right. Just because you eat more doesn't mean you have to eat the way they do, although an occasional burger and soda never killed anybody.
    I'm 5'9.5" o: I haven't done my body fat percentage like, ever.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Means zip, nada, zero. If you could buy into it, Arnold Schwartzneggar would have been obese in his prime.
  • veggieshark
    Options
    Means zip, nada, zero. If you could buy into it, Arnold Schwartzneggar would have been obese in his prime.
    [/quote
    This ^
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I, personally, am of the opinion that you still have your ED. It does not matter if you think you are losing weight in a healthy way, if you are continuing to aim to lose weight when you are underweight already, then you have issues and you are not just a slight bit under the minimum BMI, you are a lot under. The BMI is mostly inaccurate, imo, when it comes to those into bodybuilding who might be over the higher number due to muscle mass, yet have a low body fat %. I think you might just be convincing yourself that you are okay and healthy, and looking for justification to carry on as you are. I don't think anyone is likely to be healthy at your weight and height, and I would be surprised if you even still get your periods at that sort of weight.
  • veggieshark
    Options
    I, personally, am of the opinion that you still have your ED. It does not matter if you think you are losing weight in a healthy way, if you are continuing to aim to lose weight when you are underweight already, then you have issues and you are not just a slight bit under the minimum BMI, you are a lot under. The BMI is mostly inaccurate, imo, when it comes to those into bodybuilding who might be over the higher number due to muscle mass, yet have a low body fat %. I think you might just be convincing yourself that you are okay and healthy, and looking for justification to carry on as you are. I don't think anyone is likely to be healthy at your weight and height, and I would be surprised if you even still get your periods at that sort of weight.
    I'm still getting my period and I'm not aiming to lose weight at all. In fact I'm trying very hard to stop it because now my dad is getting angry with me for my weight and checks it weekly. I'm trying very hard to gain muscle pounds. I wouldn't call myself 100% over my ED because it still lingers mentally, but I'm much better than before.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used to be a couple pounds underweight by BMI standards and joined MFP to gain weight just because the BMI numbers made me concerned and it only kept on getting lower. When I gained a few pounds I felt absolutely amazing and I mistakenly thought I felt fine before. I have had lots of skin and hair and immune system improvements as well. But yes, BMI is very "general" because it doesn't not consider body fat percentage and muscle mass. It's definitely 100% useless if you're a bodybuilder but otherwise, it's made for [regular] people to understand "appropriate" weight ranges for their height... so I wouldn't shoot it down just yet.
    Edit for typos
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm still getting my period and I'm not aiming to lose weight at all. In fact I'm trying very hard to stop it because now my dad is getting angry with me for my weight and checks it weekly. I'm trying very hard to gain muscle pounds. I wouldn't call myself 100% over my ED because it still lingers mentally, but I'm much better than before.

Here are the problems I see with this...... you are 5'9 1/2" tall and you weigh 114-ish? That is quite underweight. Even super lean female marathoners of a similar height weigh around 120-125. (I'm thinking of Paula Radcliffe who is 5'8", 120 lbs).

Secondly, your statement about your father getting angry with you about weight tells me that he might be driving this bus.... is the only reason you want to "recover" from your ED so that you will please him and get him off your back? That is not recovery.

Lastly, I don't think anyone can recover in 2 months from an ED. It's a psychological issue that requires therapy and time... more than 60 days. Are you in therapy? If not, I hope you will consider it.
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree.

I have a very small frame (4'11") and I was pretty well toned and muscly before I gained my weight) but because of that I am now very obese (BMI 33.9).

Even at my healthiest, when I danced for 10+ hours every week and could easily fit into UK size 8's (USA size 6's) my BMI was still over the healthy '18-25'.

To be in the 'healthy BMI' range, I'd need to lose around 50 lbs. That's to get my BMI to 24. I have no desire to lose THAT much weight as I would only weigh 119lbs.

My goal is to get to 140lbs. Then I will be 'overweight' and will be around the same weight as I was when I was at my healthiest and happiest.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    BMI is a tool that was vastly overused by the population at large. It was never intended to be a "be all end all" determination of health but a predictor of risk factors for obesity related health conditions. It does have some usefulness on a population level and for most people with regular body fat it's useful as a rough guide of healthy weight. It doesn't apply to elite athletes and those with high lean body mass and little fat. It also has problems with some people who are "skinny fat" because it puts them in the healthy range while their bf% would call them over fat. There are also a very small number of naturally slender people who safely hang out right under the lower limit on BMI.

Since you are really far under, it is more than likely too far. In your recovery did you have your body fat tested? Getting your period is not the best measure since there are a lot of factors other than fat that determine whether or not you experience amennorhea. Those who are underweight are at risk for other issues including osteoporosis, increased risk of infection and infertility. No one on this forum can tell you that you are not dangerously underweight. Only a doctor (preferably one who specializes in eating disorders) can tell you what a safe weight for you is. My guess is that it is going to be at least around the point where your BMI is above 18.5.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You seem to be looking for some kind of justification through the whole BMI is a scam thing. BMI is a tool and is limited at best. Both of my kids BMI is high which would lead you to believe they are overweight. However, they are both gymnasts and are quite muscular. This is where BMI tends to fail in terms of being useful. Not so much for underweight. You are young and damage you do now will affect your whole life.
  • veggieshark
    Options

Here are the problems I see with this...... you are 5'9 1/2" tall and you weigh 114-ish? That is quite underweight. Even super lean female marathoners of a similar height weigh around 120-125. (I'm thinking of Paula Radcliffe who is 5'8", 120 lbs).

Secondly, your statement about your father getting angry with you about weight tells me that he might be driving this bus.... is the only reason you want to "recover" from your ED so that you will please him and get him off your back? That is not recovery.

Lastly, I don't think anyone can recover in 2 months from an ED. It's a psychological issue that requires therapy and time... more than 60 days. Are you in therapy? If not, I hope you will consider it.
    My recovery is in no way whatsoever for my dad. I really wish he'd leave me alone about my body because he honestly makes recovery even more difficult. I am just starting to see a psych. And I did not mean I was fully recovered. I still have horrible psychological problems from it but I do my best to kick them in the *kitten*.
  • veggieshark
    Options
    BMI is a tool that was vastly overused by the population at large. It was never intended to be a "be all end all" determination of health but a predictor of risk factors for obesity related health conditions. It does have some usefulness on a population level and for most people with regular body fat it's useful as a rough guide of healthy weight. It doesn't apply to elite athletes and those with high lean body mass and little fat. It also has problems with some people who are "skinny fat" because it puts them in the healthy range while their bf% would call them over fat. There are also a very small number of naturally slender people who safely hang out right under the lower limit on BMI.

Since you are really far under, it is more than likely too far. In your recovery did you have your body fat tested? Getting your period is not the best measure since there are a lot of factors other than fat that determine whether or not you experience amennorhea. Those who are underweight are at risk for other issues including osteoporosis, increased risk of infection and infertility. No one on this forum can tell you that you are not dangerously underweight. Only a doctor (preferably one who specializes in eating disorders) can tell you what a safe weight for you is. My guess is that it is going to be at least around the point where your BMI is above 18.5.
    Thanks for the reply. I really should get my bf% tested. I really don't think I've ever had that done.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think the range of bmi is too high, I am 5 9 and if i was 140llbs say, id be very skinny.I dont want to be like that. I would concentrate on putting some weight on to bring your bmi up, I dont mean to be nasty but your are very very skinny from your profile pic. EAT MORE each day and gain to a healthy weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think body fat % is a better guide for lean people as it can take account of different frame sizes etc. There are calculators at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ and I think 18% or so is said to be the healthy minimum for a fertile woman.

You're quite tall and with dividing your weight by height squared that tends to give lower results (just like short people always get higher BMIs). At 5'-9.5" and 16.7 BMI you weigh 114 pounds and your BMI would be 19.7 at 5'-4"
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    BMI is simply a tool to estimate your percentage of body fat. There are good correlations between body fat, particularly that around the waste, and diseases. A reasonable discussion is at

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/health_risks.htm

amongst others. (google: bmi and health)

As always it is only a simple metric to use to categorize a complex topic.
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think that BMI is a fairly accurate predictor of round-about health....if that makes sense? Lol...meaning, it works for many people as a guideline for a healthy weight range--meaning a weight that will keep them at a lower risk for many diseases.
    But in terms of cumulative health, BMI doesn't mean much.
    BMI doesn't take into account how much processed versus clean food the person eats...
    doesn't take their macronutrient and micronutrient ratios, doesn't tell us if the person is malnourished,
    it doesn't tell how fit their cardiorespiratory system is or how strong they are.

A more comprehensive number measurement is definitely bodyfat %.
    However, I agree with the things others are saying about your recovering from an ED. You are still recovering, and that desire to lose weight is still going to be there, even if you consciously know you need to gain weight and are actively trying to.
    So while you should commend yourself on your progress (congratulations :flowerforyou: ), and acknowledge the fact that you eat healthfully and exercise regularly, know that you still have a long way to go--and some weight to gain.

That being said, everyone is different, naturally.
    I have a friend who is about 5' 5" and eats junk food EVERY SINGLE DAY.........she weighs 100 pounds -____-
    Before she started eating fast food so much, she used to weigh 90. She certainly doesn't count calories, she eats Oreos and Nutella and chili cheese fries and doesn't work out and her BMI is about 16.5.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I'm 5'9.5" o: I haven't done my body fat percentage like, ever.

As others have noted, your body fat percentage is an important indicator of health. I don't think the BMI is gospel, my score is usually 18-something, low-normal, sometimes underweight, which I think is inaccurate because of frame, but at your height it may be very possible that you are really underweight. 16.7 is very low.

It seems to me, too, that you are seeking confirmation of behavior that will continue your anorexia, not move away from it.