ASPARTAME and SUCRALOSE allergies

Options
I have severe allergies to aspartame and surcralose.

( I suffer memory loss from aspatame and sucralose give me hives. )

I have a hard time finding low-sugar low-fat products without one or the other of these sugar subs.
I would especially like to find a high protein drink/shake that doesn't have them.
GNC Pro-performance Liquid Protein used to be a great source but it has gone off the market.

Anyone else in the boat? Any suggestions?

Replies

• PopePopsicleIV
    Options
    I have allergies to those too and was wondering the same thing! Except my allergy to it makes my sinuses swell up and gives me insanely bad headaches that put me out for hours :[

But I'd definitely like to know if anyone's got suggestions :]
  • marystod
    marystod Posts: 2
    Options
    Demonizing Sugar, while exempting Aspartame & Neotame sweetened drinks from responsibility for illness and obesity, is not an intelligent move, based on our contiguous 27 year study of the issue. Aspartame has been shown, in peer-reviewed Medical Journal studies, to cause weight gain and at least seven types of deadly cancers: Brain; Pancreas; Uterine: Breast; Leukemia; Lymphoma - along with Seizures and Parkinson-like Tremors, to name a few. Including at least 5 deaths on record with FDA, prior to 1987.

The scientific evidence has grown greater each year, since Aspartame's approval in 1981. Two and a half decades ago, Senate Hearings were conducted, many law suits have been settled out of Court (for undisclosed $$$$ amounts) and thousands of consumer adverse reaction reports are now on file with FDA and our Dallas/Washington based Aspartame Consumer Safety Network.

Years from now, we will look back on our use of Aspartame artificial sweeteners the way we see, in hindsight, the folly of ever thinking cigarettes were safe. Until then, we need to familiarize ourselves with both sides of the sweetener issue, while at the same time realizing that billions of dollars are at stake.

The Sugar Lobby is multi-fragmented and pales in comparison with the gigantic Artificial Sweetener Lobby, which includes giant corporations like Monsanto.

Refined sugars are a 'Quality of Life' issue (much as white flour, white rice, etc.) Pharmaceutical-type sugars like Aspartame and Neotame are 'Quantity of Life' issues, meaning they are capable of causing death. BTW, there is not a single grain of granulated sugar in regular sodas for many decades.

Respectfully,
    Mary Nash Stoddard/author Deadly Deception Story of Aspartame (Odenwald '98)Founder Aspartame Consumer Safety Network and Pilot Hotline (since 1987)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Aspartame has been shown, in peer-reviewed Medical Journal studies, to cause weight gain and at least seven types of deadly cancers: Brain; Pancreas; Uterine: Breast; Leukemia; Lymphoma - along with Seizures and Parkinson-like Tremors, to name a few. Including at least 5 deaths on record with FDA, prior to 1987.

Stop making things up.

Aspartame: review of safety.
    Butchko HH, Stargel WW, Comer CP, Mayhew DA, Benninger C, Blackburn GL, de Sonneville LM, Geha RS, Hertelendy Z, Koestner A, Leon AS, Liepa GU, McMartin KE, Mendenhall CL, Munro IC, Novotny EJ, Renwick AG, Schiffman SS, Schomer DL, Shaywitz BA, Spiers PA, Tephly TR, Thomas JA, Trefz FK.
    Source

Medical and Scientific Affairs, The NutraSweet Company, Mt Prospect, Illinois 60056, USA. harriett.h.butchko@nutrasweet.com
    Abstract

Over 20 years have elapsed since aspartame was approved by regulatory agencies as a sweetener and flavor enhancer. The safety of aspartame and its metabolic constituents was established through extensive toxicology studies in laboratory animals, using much greater doses than people could possibly consume. Its safety was further confirmed through studies in several human subpopulations, including healthy infants, children, adolescents, and adults; obese individuals; diabetics; lactating women; and individuals heterozygous (PKUH) for the genetic disease phenylketonuria (PKU) who have a decreased ability to metabolize the essential amino acid, phenylalanine. Several scientific issues continued to be raised after approval, largely as a concern for theoretical toxicity from its metabolic components--the amino acids, aspartate and phenylalanine, and methanol--even though dietary exposure to these components is much greater than from aspartame. Nonetheless, additional research, including evaluations of possible associations between aspartame and headaches, seizures, behavior, cognition, and mood as well as allergic-type reactions and use by potentially sensitive subpopulations, has continued after approval. These findings are reviewed here. The safety testing of aspartame has gone well beyond that required to evaluate the safety of a food additive. When all the research on aspartame, including evaluations in both the premarketing and postmarketing periods, is examined as a whole, it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use.

Crit Rev Toxicol. 2007;37(8):629-727.
    Aspartame: a safety evaluation based on current use levels, regulations, and toxicological and epidemiological studies.
    Magnuson BA, Burdock GA, Doull J, Kroes RM, Marsh GM, Pariza MW, Spencer PS, Waddell WJ, Walker R, Williams GM.
    Source

Burdock Group, Washington, DC, USA. bmagnuso@umd.edu
    Abstract

Aspartame is a methyl ester of a dipeptide used as a synthetic nonnutritive sweetener in over 90 countries worldwide in over 6000 products. The purpose of this investigation was to review the scientific literature on the absorption and metabolism, the current consumption levels worldwide, the toxicology, and recent epidemiological studies on aspartame. Current use levels of aspartame, even by high users in special subgroups, remains well below the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and European Food Safety Authority established acceptable daily intake levels of 50 and 40 mg/kg bw/day, respectively. Consumption of large doses of aspartame in a single bolus dose will have an effect on some biochemical parameters, including plasma amino acid levels and brain neurotransmitter levels. The rise in plasma levels of phenylalanine and aspartic acid following administration of aspartame at doses less than or equal to 50 mg/kg bw do not exceed those observed postprandially. Acute, subacute and chronic toxicity studies with aspartame, and its decomposition products, conducted in mice, rats, hamsters and dogs have consistently found no adverse effect of aspartame with doses up to at least 4000 mg/kg bw/day. Critical review of all carcinogenicity studies conducted on aspartame found no credible evidence that aspartame is carcinogenic. The data from the extensive investigations into the possibility of neurotoxic effects of aspartame, in general, do not support the hypothesis that aspartame in the human diet will affect nervous system function, learning or behavior. Epidemiological studies on aspartame include several case-control studies and one well-conducted prospective epidemiological study with a large cohort, in which the consumption of aspartame was measured. The studies provide no evidence to support an association between aspartame and cancer in any tissue. The weight of existing evidence is that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a nonnutritive sweetener.
  • downwithbottledwater
    Options
    No one should be eating artificial sweeteners. They are poison!

For shakes and sweetener use stevia. It is not an artificial sweetener. It's been in use longer than sugar and comes from a plant just like sugar.

Jay robb makes a protein shake with stevia.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Try vita cost brown rIce protein powder... It tastes darn good in vanilla.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    No one should be eating artificial sweeteners. They are poison!

For shakes and sweetener use stevia. It is not an artificial sweetener. It's been in use longer than sugar and comes from a plant just like sugar.

Jay robb makes a protein shake with stevia.
    If artificial sweeteners were poison, then it wouldn't take an impossible amount of it for adverse reactions to start showing up in non-allergic populations.

Stevia could be a good option, although there are still concerns about its safety, which is why it is banned in the EU.

OP, what sorts of products other than shakes are you looking to replace? Depending on that, it may be simpler for you to just adjust to eating foods that are less sweet. I find that a lot of pre-prepared foods are higher in sugar than the basic amount needed to be tasty. For example, an iced coffee with one packet of sugar and skim milk is around 110 calories, whereas a lot of blended coffee drinks are several hundred calories. Or, instead of artificially sweetened yogurt, you could sweeten it with a teaspoon of honey, or by added fresh fruit.
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere it was made of coal tar!?
  • marystod
    marystod Posts: 2
    Options
    Saccharin is a coal tar derivative. Aspartame is a petroleum derivative, according to FDA Director, Gerry Gaul and a NutraSweet PR person.. Can be found in: Aspartame A Diet Delusion by Nutritionist and Columnist, Barbara Alexandar Mullarkey.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Mullarkey.

Strong author to content ratio.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Demonizing Sugar, while exempting Aspartame & Neotame sweetened drinks from responsibility for illness and obesity, is not an intelligent move, based on our contiguous 27 year study of the issue. Aspartame has been shown, in peer-reviewed Medical Journal studies, to cause weight gain and at least seven types of deadly cancers: Brain; Pancreas; Uterine: Breast; Leukemia; Lymphoma - along with Seizures and Parkinson-like Tremors, to name a few. Including at least 5 deaths on record with FDA, prior to 1987.

The scientific evidence has grown greater each year, since Aspartame's approval in 1981. Two and a half decades ago, Senate Hearings were conducted, many law suits have been settled out of Court (for undisclosed $$$$ amounts) and thousands of consumer adverse reaction reports are now on file with FDA and our Dallas/Washington based Aspartame Consumer Safety Network.

Years from now, we will look back on our use of Aspartame artificial sweeteners the way we see, in hindsight, the folly of ever thinking cigarettes were safe. Until then, we need to familiarize ourselves with both sides of the sweetener issue, while at the same time realizing that billions of dollars are at stake.

The Sugar Lobby is multi-fragmented and pales in comparison with the gigantic Artificial Sweetener Lobby, which includes giant corporations like Monsanto.

Refined sugars are a 'Quality of Life' issue (much as white flour, white rice, etc.) Pharmaceutical-type sugars like Aspartame and Neotame are 'Quantity of Life' issues, meaning they are capable of causing death. BTW, there is not a single grain of granulated sugar in regular sodas for many decades.

Respectfully,
    Mary Nash Stoddard/author Deadly Deception Story of Aspartame (Odenwald '98)Founder Aspartame Consumer Safety Network and Pilot Hotline (since 1987)

First post and total and utter drivel - well done!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Demonizing sugar is ridiculous. So is demonizing artificial sweeteners.
    I use Stevia not because it's more natural, but because it tastes better.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The Myofusion protein powder (at least the probiotic ones) are aspartame free and look to be sucrose free - and are very low in carbs. It is by Gaspari Nutrition.

Also, the Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey product line do not appear to contain either and are also low in carbs.

Edited typo.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I use honey, blackstrap molasses (in my oatmeal), or fruit (in baking) for sweeteners. I buy an unflavored soy protein powder for my shakes. I add honey, unsweetened cocoa powder, a dash of vanilla, and some cinnamon. The brand I use is Gensoy, but I'm told Super Supplements has a good one, too.

I forgot to mention that I have adverse reactions to pretty much every other kind of sweetener, including refined sugar, agave necta, and stevia. I can sometimes handle raw sugar, and I can handle a small amount of sugar in stuff like chocolate or baked goods, but I generally just stick with honey and avoid sweets when possible.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has a natural chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. There's one sweetened with stevia, and one sweetened with a very small amount of evaporated cane juice. The evap cane juice one is damned tasty, if you ask me. I think it's 3g per superscoop.
  • Browneyedbrandi
    Options
    Hi, I am so sorry to hear about your reactions... I thought I was the only person alive that had to live that way! Ugh... So frustating! But yes... I workout and went into 4 different stores and read through the back of every single ingredient! I also talked to me trainer who sells a very high profile shake. Not happening. Last shop I went into was MAXX MUSCLE they have ONLY 1 that they make without ANY sugar additive ANYTHING. All natural. I'm also allergic to vanilla. So I said no at first but it was an actual natural vanilla not the additive so I tried it (they give u free samples). I am on my second huge bottle and didn't have to return anything using their return policy. Good thing cause I hate returning stuff... Lol. Now my hubby is in there all the time and they even help u with diet plans And everything. I love this place!!!! Just wish they had more natural flavors than vanilla.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb protein powders! Sweetened with Stevia and they taste awesome.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Eat real food. Fresh fruits, veggies, and meat. Always lots of meat!
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    Use stevia or erythritol and make your own!
  • Sidonas
    Sidonas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues, though no hives. Body aches, chills, and memory loss. Honestly, sometimes it is worth giving up certain foods (like protein powders) to get away from them. For me, I replaced protein shakes with almonds, and it works significantly better.

One biggie I learned, and the reason I moved away from protein powders and some other foods in general, is that you have to read the label every time you buy it. I have had companies switch to artificial sweeteners on me after years of reliability.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have severe allergies to aspartame and surcralose.

( I suffer memory loss from aspatame and sucralose give me hives. )

I have a hard time finding low-sugar low-fat products without one or the other of these sugar subs.
    I would especially like to find a high protein drink/shake that doesn't have them.
    GNC Pro-performance Liquid Protein used to be a great source but it has gone off the market.

Anyone else in the boat? Any suggestions?

I find that the best substitute for artificial sweeteners is.....................................................sugar.
    A teaspoon in coffee: 15 cals. wow
    2 teaspoons brown sugar in oatmeal: 40 cals.
    Not that great of a deal to me.
    Honey, maple syrup, all good, all readily available at reasonable prices.
    Don't like unsweetened ISO protein? Dump some of that bad boy sugar in.