Keeping your Motivation

Options
I am reading so many blogs these days of women struggling to stay motivated. This is a common problem for most of us. For the majority of my adult life, I lost the desire to even care about myself, mostly from being abused and told how bad and ugly I was on a regular basis. When I became a single mom, I had to figure out how to get motivated by finding my "why," my reason for wanting to do this. I needed this for me, to get back all the years I lost.

I think motivation is great when you start this journey because you keep the "why" in the front of your mind. Every waking hour is spent thinking about what you will do when you achieve the goal to obtain your "why." Your friends and family support you and remind you of your "why." You work hard because the end seems not so far away, even if it probably isn't realistic to think that way. We don't stop and think that this is not an easy journey and takes a lot of work and many times a lot of frustration.

Motivation starts to wan when you stop focusing on the "why" and allow your life's daily routines to take center stage again. You are late coming home from work and feel tired to cook. You tell yourself, "oh its ok just this once. Tomorrow I will be good again." Except once you have had a taste for the things that caused you a problem, its easier to do it a second time. You tell yourself, "ok, I will finish this week eating not good, but not too bad and start strong again on Monday morning." Once you allow this to happen (and I can guarantee I am included in this group), your motivation pretty much ends. You get angry at yourself, tell yourself you failed again and stop, sometimes even binge out of guilt and gain back some weight. We have all had this happen.

This is where you have to dig really really deep and find your "why" again. Post it on the refrigerator, keep a motivational CD in the car on the way to work, post a picture of what you would realistically like to achieve, and remind those who love you most to hold you accountable, even when you don't particularly want to hear it and even when it can really make you mad. Because, after all, if they didn't love you, they wouldn't bother.

I have been up and down for 6 years. I don't lose quickly but I have never ever completely given up. I go for some days in the middle where I let life's stresses and struggles take over. But not for a long time fortunately. Because front and center in my life is a man who married me 4 years ago and will never let me forget my "why." He may let me slip for a short time to give me a chance to self-motivate, then he will pick me up and push me in the right direction again. I want him to do it and I need to hear the truth even when it hurts. I am a food addict and he knows it. He is kind with his words, but direct enough that I understand that this is too important to lose all the progress I have achieved. It is definitely a hard journey but one that has made me the strong person I am today who is committed to finally getting back my life.

Replies

• embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You are amazing my dear! I am SO sorry you had to go through such hurts in your life. NO one should ever be told those things. Anyone that could say that about you is blind and cruel. You have such a kindness in your eyes and smile, THAT is a beauty that is so much more then skin deep, and that NO one can steal! I am so glad you have supportive people in your life who nurture you now!!! Keep fighting to be the best you that you can be!!!! ((((vilyli))))) You have a beautiful family in your pics as well! :)
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Cool you've got your support system with you every day and awesome you never give up!! (I'm hearing Eye of the Tiger in my head now!)

:flowerforyou:
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has their story and their reasons why overeating is a part of their life. One thing that I do know is that there is something inside of each and every overweight person that causes them to feel that food is a comfort. It doesn't have to be abuse or something horrible, but there is a reason. The most important part of losing weight, at least in my opinion, is to find out what the reason is that you reach for food. I hear people say its just because they like it. Well, yes, you like it or you wouldn't eat it, BUT liking ice cream (which is one of my biggest weaknesses) doesn't mean you have to eat the whole half gallon. There is a reason why you feel you need to eat that quantity of food. And in order to overcome food addiction, you have to find out the reason why. And sometimes finding the answer to that is not as easy as one might think. Sometimes its going way back in your past to figure it out. For me personally, I didn't feel good enough and my ex escalated this problem dramatically. It took having someone come into my life that tells me every day I am a good person and I am beautiful to him that has given me the ability to move beyond this. I can't say I am over it, because I still have moments where I end up going back for seconds when I know for sure I don't need it (usually when something stressful has happened), but every day gets better and every day I educate myself more on healthy eating. I am sad it took me until the age of 50 to get to this point, but grateful that I don't have to spend the last half of my life the same way. I wish for everyone a safe healthy weight loss future.