Any Vegetarians, Vegan, or Raw Foodists?

Options
Hello :wink:
I'm curious as to how YOU eat?
I've been loosely a vegetarian my whole life, occasionally eating meat on occasions, (Chicken & Turkey) but my daily normal life, I pretty much never eat meat.
How do you eat?
After watching "Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead" a documentary on Netflix about juicing, i was super inspiredwanted to eat more raw foods. Since then, I've been watching a ton of youtube videos about Raw Foodists (only veggies and fruits...not cooking) and it looks pretty cool. Any one have an opinion on Raw Foodists?? Any one out there vegetarian or vegan? Is it easy or hard for you? If you are not vegan/vegetarian do you ever give up meat one day a week, like "meatless Monday"?
Hope you guys are having a FANTASTIC Friday night.

Replies

• kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I've been a vegetarian for 13 years and last summer, I went vegan.

I spend a lot of time looking up new recipes and I absolutely love experimenting in the kitchen. There are so many amazing cookbooks and websites out there too - I don't miss dairy or eggs one bit!

Sample day for me:
    BREAKFAST-
    Wasa crisp bread with natural PB
    So Delicious cultured coconut yogurt w/ berries and Ezekiel sprouted almond cereal
    LUNCH -
    vegan protein shake w/ a fresh banana
    veggie wrap w/ lots of veggies
    DINNER -
    veggie stir fry w/ rice noodles & spicy peanut sauce (homemade)
    SNACKS -
    fruit
    Chipin's w/ Yoso sour cream dip

My diary isn't open to the public (only friends) so feel free to add me and maybe you can get some ideas.

Good luck!
  • jennatals
    jennatals Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I spend a lot of time looking up new recipes and I absolutely love experimenting in the kitchen. There are so many amazing cookbooks and websites out there too - I don't miss dairy or eggs one bit!

Sample day for me:
    BREAKFAST-
    So Delicious cultured coconut yogurt w/ berries and Ezekiel sprouted almond cereal
    LUNCH -
    DINNER -
    SNACKS -
    fruit

My diary isn't open to the public (only friends) so feel free to add me and maybe you can get some ideas.

Good luck!

I find we eat a lot of similar foods. I love wasa, ezekial bread. I think i could transition easily into a vegan lifestyle. I dont drink milk, but i do enjoy cheese and icecream. :) Have you found a big change in your body since you switched to a vegan diet?
  • nicolekrezinski
    nicolekrezinski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My brother is vegan and he just started juicing. I love going to his house because they make yummy and different food. Millet is my new fave!
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    HI. I'm plant-powered. I was a vegetarian for about 15 years, and 3 months ago gave up cheese, which was my last lacto thing. I feel much better, but I think that has something to do with the fact I don't tolerate milk products very well.

I'm trying to eat raw more, but between work and the gym I don't always have time. I have a fruit smoothie with vegan protein powder every morning and usually seitan, tempeh, or lentils most lunch and dinner, along with some kind of greens and a little quinoa or brown rice. I usually eat raw almonds and fruit for snacks. Feel free to look at my diary if you want. although today may not be my best day.
  • xxshannonxgerardxx
    Options
    hiiiiii, yes, i'm a vegetarian, well almost vegan, i think i might've had cheese or something once or twice in the past month or so, but overall i try to avoid any type of animal products...right now i cook pretty much all of my dinners, because they're usually rice or soup, but for lunch i like to have raw foods, like lettuce or random fruit...i'm considering, like you, just becoming a raw foodist too. it sounds pretty nice:) i kinda hate vegetables (<-- xD lol, a vegan that hates vegetables..) but i know they're good for me so i eat them anyway..i think i'll start this summer:3 good luck! u should do it too.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Long term veggie here, about 18 years and counting, and every now and again I give veganism a try. I very rarely used prosessed ready meals, usually I cook from scratch & I batch cook & freeze the extra. I try to avoid cheese 'cause thats a big trigger food for me, I can't just have a little. My OH calls me the 'mouse'.
    I have an internet friend who is a raw foodist, but chatting to him it all sounds a bit too much like hard work. But he's very fit & healthy and runs marathons so it works for him.
    ATM I'm just having protein shakes & one meal a day, but thats 'cause I need to lose a whole lot (over 100lbs), and I'm on quite a tight budget. My diary is open so take a look if you want.:smile:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Have a look at 'happy herbivores' (in the group section).
  • arizonagog
    arizonagog Posts: 22
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 7 years <3 just watch out for too much pastas and carbs
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for a decade or so...can't quite cut out the cheese so I probably will never be vegan. I do think there is value to having raw veggies; I try to eat lots of raw vegetables as snacks and salads and such but I also juice to increase my overall raw nutrition intake.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a vegetarian who is interested in becoming a raw vegan. I'm incorporating more raw foods into what I eat every day because I feel better when I do.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm transitioning to an vegan diet. I was vegan for a long time when I was younger but ate horribly so I got really sick (I was in Jr. High/High school/University so I was not into cooking like I am now). Now, I'm trying to spend more time preparing foods and less time just eating packaged vegan stuff and snacks.

The biggest issue I've encountered so far is that I'm eating more sugar now than before because I'm trying to eat more fruits and vegetables. I know it's different than just eating candy because you get so many other vitamins and minerals and tons of fiber but I'm having a hard time balancing it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Veggie here :-)
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi - Im another vegan here. The biggest change i noticed when i went vegan was my skin complexion is much better. I always ate freshly prepared foods when i still ate meat and other animal procucts, but as an athlete i find eating vegan to be much more suitable. i eat several meals throughout the day and i vary the foods i eat alot. I feel 100% better too :)

Also - i try and eat 1 raw meal a day but given that its now winter in Australia im finding it hard now. Although im not eating raw for my main meals at the moment, I do eat alot of raw snacks :)
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    And no, i dont find it hard at all. I always thought i'd 'miss' meat and cheese in particular - but i feel amazing and dont miss those foods.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I just went vegetarian a few days ago.

I didn't wing it this time around but researched some and found I didn't have to change much up. I replaced meat with great meat substitute products and also went mostly organic! Very happy so far with it and am excited to start feeling better.

I also avoid milk already... I'm a habitual almond milk drinker. :-P

Funny enough! My husband has jumped on the wagon with me which is totally unpredicted. He is doing it for health reasons. I am too but am sure I'll be staying as I HATE eating meat. Mainly because it's disgusting to find turkey in a pork casing and I'm always so scared about food poisoning. And don't get me started on meat with bone in it. :noway:

I was vegetarian when I was 18 for a year but it was awful because I did it all wrong.
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian about 2 years ago after reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (AMAZING book!) and found that it was much easier to give up meat than I'd originally expected. Chicken was the only real meat that I previously ate, and the detail in that book about the quality of most available chicken was enough to turn me off for good! I eat a lot of multigrain bread, salad and patties, and I really like marinated tofu. I have put on a bit of weight since going vego, though, as a lot of the pre-made vegetarian food available is deep-fried :( I really need to cook more but it's one of my most hated things, so I can't really see myself taking pleasure in whipping up some vego feast :P

All of that said, I think you do need to think about your daily nutrition a lot more when you're vegetarian, and after finding that I was getting run down a lot, I've started to eat seafood a bit. I now eat fish about once or twice a week, and feel much better for it. Moreover, it's MUCH easier to eat out when you're open to eating either meat or seafood, and I was finding it really, really difficult to eat out with my family/friends when I was eating no flesh whatsoever. Technically this makes me a pescetarian rather than a vegetarian, but I don't give a **** about the labels. I think you need to do what's best (and maintainable!) for you, and by eating seafood a few times a week I'm much more able to avoid eating all other meat. So, I'm happy with my compromise :)
  • nonentity018
    Options
    Hey,

Sample day for me:
    BREAKFAST-
    LUNCH -
    DINNER -
    SNACKS -
    fruit

Good luck!

That sounds like the best day of food ever.