Whole Eggs VS Egg Whites

What is the general opinion of Whole Eggs VS Egg Whites? What are the benefits of each, and which are better for weight loss? Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,812 Member
    Personally, there's no debate, whole eggs trump egg whites. All the nutrition is in the yolk, plus it still provides 35% of the total protein. The people that dis yolks do so for reasons that just lack current nutritional information, and their main reasons are saturated fat, cholesterol and extra calories sans people that don't like the taste. I do understand for people eating a lot of eggs that removing some yolk will help maintain their daily goals. Whole eggs ftw.
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    how the hell do you even buy egge whites? is it next to the milk in cartons in america?

Do they add stuff to keep it from going off?

Either way yoke master race here
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Eat the whole damn thing!
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    I go whole egg typically... but since I eat about 3 dozen eggs/ week, I have been cutting out some yolks (1 yolk per 3 eggs used). Eggs are the "perfect protein" and in the last month I was able to cut 2% body fat without supplements just by upping how many eggs I consumed.
  • LilMsRobbinHood
    LilMsRobbinHood Posts: 6 Member
    I look forward to my two whole eggs every morning - pam the pan, break the yolk, cook all the way through.

Eat it with some ketchup and my day begins awesomely.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    The whole egg. Poor eggs getting such a bad rep. The yolk is the best part!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    ~ I actually did a blog on eggs ( this post is from an article based on research, where the woman tested the theories ) ... here are some of the facts :

1. Eggs Won't Make You Fat
    I'm not going to reveal my final numbers until the process is done and all blood work is completed, but I'll tell you this--eating three eggs per day has NOT made my health worse. If anything it's made it better. I've been stronger, have lost body fat (not just pounds), and I feel spectacular. And I must mention, this has all happened despite the fact that I've suffered two back injuries and have backed off training during the process.

2. The Eggs-Cholesterol Relationship is Misleading
    Eggs don't raise cholesterol the way you think. And when you combine eggs as part of a low(er) carb diet, it actually raises the good stuff (HDL) without doing any damage to the bad (LDL). Add that to an increasing number of studies that shows the cholesterol benefits of eating eggs, (see here, and here, and here) and it's becoming harder to deny the truth: Eggs are a "health" food and they don't cause heart problems.

3. Eggs are a Super Food
    I know that we all become tired of marketing buzzwords like "super foods" and "power foods." (and yes, I take full responsibility to adding to that mess) But sometimes the label fits so well that there's no better way to describe what you're eating. Eggs fall into that category. Research has shown that eggs can do everything from improve your immune system to help your brain function better, as well as build muscle and make your skin look better. And the research continues to grow. Recently, Canadian researchers found that eggs have twice as many antioxidants as apples. Here’s a list of 8 benefits of eggs--backed by science--that make this food so uniquely valuable.

4. Diablo Eggs are Delicious
    Part of this process has meant trying out many (many) new egg recipes. While I enjoy eggs, I also have a wife who eats many meals with me and her sophisticated taste buds require variety. She can't dig in on the Born Scramble every day of the week. Enter Diablo Eggs. This new spin on deviled eggs is a culinary treat. I don't include the chorizo, but if I ate pork, I would imagine it would only improve this dish. Check out this quick and easy recipe (it's a video you can follow) and let me know what you think.

5. Eggs aren't Just for Breakfast
    I've now made eggs on pizza, on burgers (my new favorite), and even in oatmeal. Don't judge until you try them. In fact, we have a list of 20 ways you can add eggs to your meal. (I've tried 13 of them)

6. Cook Your Eggs to Unlock More Benefits
    If you haven't read this smart post by Dr. Mike Roussell, you should check it out. It dissects some of the most common myths about eggs. And that includes the idea that uncooked eggs provide your body with more nutrients. Ever since I watched Rocky, I've been intrigued by the idea of downing a few raw eggs. (and by intrigued, I mean I tried it in my younger days). So are raw eggs more potent? No. In fact, cooking your eggs can ensure that you enjoy more of the nutritional benefits. Oh yeah--and the cooked version taste a lot better, too.

7. Cook your Eggs in (healthy) Fat
    I used to coat my pans in butter, olive oil, or some sort of spray when making eggs. And then I discovered coconut oil and it changed how I prepared my meals. From an enjoyment standpoint, coconut oil doesn't make eggs taste different (which can definitely happen with olive oil). Great taste is always preferred, but coconut oil has been linked to dropping body fat, raising good cholesterol, and fighting off viruses (due to lauric acid). I'd recommend giving it a try, and see what it will do for your meals.

8. Eat the Yolk
    Just in case this was lost in translation, I'm eating three whole eggs per day. Not just the whites. And the reason is simple: The yolk is the best part. Both in taste and nutrition. The yolk is where you find all of the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) as well as the majority of zinc, calcium, folate, and memory boosting lecithin. And you can’t forget Vitamin B12, which has been shown to help with fat breakdown. And while the whites still offer protein, it's only slightly more than 50 percent of the total amount. The yolks are part of what give eggs the highest possible biological value, which is a measure of how well a food suits your body’s protein needs. So if you're looking for the healthiest way to eat your eggs, your best bet is to keep the yolk.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    how the hell do you even buy egge whites? is it next to the milk in cartons in america?

Do they add stuff to keep it from going off?

Either way yoke master race here

You can seperate your eggs yourself or yes you can buy it that way in cartons in the refrigerated section by the milk.

For me, I eat the whole egg. The yolk is the yummiest part anyway. IMO. I have been known to do 2 whites 1 whole when making omlettes. Mostly because of an allergy to the yolk. But I love it.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Here is the nutrition information for egg whites:
    http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/egg-white-only-cooked

Here is the nutrition information of a whole egg:
    http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/egg-(whole)

Here is the listing of vitamins, minerals and ect. in an egg - most of which are found in the yolk, since technically, they are there to form a tiny chicken.
    http://www.nutritionandeggs.co.uk/page/vits_mins

I used to eat egg whites, but when my goals changed from weight loss to living healthily, I started eating the whole egg. I buy my eggs from a farm - the taste amazing, the yolks are a rich orange color, which is indicative of added nutrition. They have less cholesterol and more Omega 3.

Whole eggs, all the way!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Whole eggs! I like the nutrition!
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Whole eggs have more nutrition in them so yes they are better to eat! Just search up "Egg nutrition" and you may be surprised on how nutrition this little egg is.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    whole eggs are very nutritionally dense... only reason people eat egg whites should be to hit macronutrient goals if they already have consumed enough dietary fat for the day.. but for me personally i save those dietary fat calories in my egg yolks because of how good they are for you.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Whole eggs every time! The yolk is the most nutritious part of the egg - yes, it contains cholesterol but all recent research states that dietary cholesterol has minimal effect on blood cholesterol levels, and here in UK authorities say there is no limit to the number that can be consumed per week. I notice that there seems to be more of an egg yolk phobia in north America than here in UK (where it is almost impossible to buy egg whites alone).
  • gharbutts
    gharbutts Posts: 4
    I guess I'll be the odd one out and speak for egg whites. I've never really liked the taste of the yolk much anyhow, so it tastes better to me with a larger ratio of whites to yolk anyhow, and it's much lower in calories. If you're counting calories, the white of the egg is less than a third of the calories of the whole egg and still has a lot of protein.

The yolk has fabulous nutrients that aren't in the whites, so I don't exclude them completely, but I usually have about 1 whole egg with two or three egg whites if I'm making an omelette or egg salad, or whatever.

It's much easier to maintain a caloric goal when you have a four egg omelette but it's only about 140 calories of egg rather than 300 calories of egg, and you still get the nutrients of a yolk in there. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but if you're trying to lose weight, the egg whites will provide more food for fewer calories, and you'll have a filling breakfast without screwing yourself for later in the day.
  • bradshaws
    bradshaws Posts: 23 Member
    I personally only eat the whites. I don't care for the taste and texture of the yolk, and I can't imagine using almost 150cal of my 1200cal for 2 eggs that don't fill me up at all. They fill me up almost as much as gulping down some air tbh.
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    I go whole egg typically... but since I eat about 3 dozen eggs/ week, I have been cutting out some yolks (1 yolk per 3 eggs used). Eggs are the "perfect protein" and in the last month I was able to cut 2% body fat without supplements just by upping how many eggs I consumed.

I also consume a lot of eggs, about 3 to 4 dozens a week. I agree they're amazing for protein and since I'm still losing weight, I still always throw away the yolk seeing as it would really add up for me. Every four days tho, I have 3 eggs in one of my meals, one with the yolk.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    I usually scramble or make a omelet and I need/eat like 5-6 eggs. So I cut the yolk out maybe leave one. If I eat a fried egg or poched egg I eat the yolk but must of the time it's just cuz of the high cals. I love the yolk
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Whole eggs, with the yolk, are a staple for me and I eat 5 per day, cooked in coconut oil.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Eggs are a healthy food but if you're like me you like to get some protein without excessive calories. Between meals, especially when I first started out, I would eat one whole boiled egg, then a few of just the whites. I get extra protein plus it curbs my appetite with 17 calories!
    I also make scrambled eggs with one whole egg and then a few egg whites so I can add some cheese, cooked bacon, veggies or whatever to increase the flavor.
  • I can't stand eating just egg whites--they're a bit liquidy to me with hardly any taste. I eat them whole, scrambled up with onions and peppers. I'm SO glad the research has shown that whole eggs are better for you with more nutrients!