Quinoa

Options
13»

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I wish I could buy Quinoa in bulk. It'd certainly be cheaper than buying it in the little boxes. On the plus side I've found that Wal-Mart of all places sells Quinoa, so I at least I have a place to buy it out here in Nowhere Ohio.
  • proctor78
    proctor78 Posts: 51
    Options
    bump
  • dstaylor124
    Options
    I love quinoa! My favorite way to fix it is a salad. Add chopped red onion or green onion, cherry tomatoes cut in half, black olives, and oil and vinegar. Add a little feta cheese. Yummy! I eat this alone, or sometimes put it on top of a bed of lettuce.
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to trying quinoa,
    I like brown rice and wondering if it would be a healthier option with my meals where the brown rice would make up a large portion of the meal.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! My favorite way to fix it is a salad. Add chopped red onion or green onion, cherry tomatoes cut in half, black olives, and oil and vinegar. Add a little feta cheese. Yummy! I eat this alone, or sometimes put it on top of a bed of lettuce.

This may be a stupid question...but in a salad, do you eat it raw or still need to cook it?
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Also love Farro and Wheat berries in salads....yes, cook them :-)
  • kayakchickc
    kayakchickc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Farro is great!i use it like quinoa in salads. Nice and meaty.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Quinoa risotto! And Mexican-flavored Quinoa and Farro! Nom, nom, nom ...
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Love it and so does my 6 year old. I eat it with dinner things and sweet for breakfast. The first time I made quinoa the brand I bought wasn't pre-rinsed. I skimmed over the part about rinsing it and the taste was awful. The kind I buy now doesn't require washing first but I do anyway. I never want that taste again. I just use a very fine strainer.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    OK - had "sweet" quinoa for breakfast today.
    Eating it sweet is very new to me, as I usually eat it savory, with onions, garlic, chick peas, avocado, sundried tomatoes romano cheese and basil.
    This morning, I cooked it in Coconut Almond Milk and water. After it cooled a little, I added frozen organic raspberries and a few blueberries, cinnamon, stevia and pan-toasted almonds... YUM!! :)
  • tnqnt
    Options
    What do you suggest to top it with for breakfast? I always made is savory, but sounds like a great sweet breakfast option!! :)

I cooked it in coconut milk + some water, topped with brown sugar, diced banana, and coarsely chopped almonds. It was wonderful.

THANK YOU - sounds delicious! :)
  • tnqnt
    Options

YUM! Sounds like how I eat it... but I do add walnuts and omit olives :)
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much generic. Although if you look in the rice section of your bigger grocery store chains they have flavored quinoa in smaller packaging. So that way if you don't care for the taste or texture you're not out as much. :) Good luck with the new food venture! :)
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question...but in a salad, do you eat it raw or still need to cook it?

Not a stupid question at all. But yes, you still have to cook it.