MFP- Help or HASSLE????

Options

Replies

• PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I WAS FEELING THE SAME EXACT WAY GIRL!!! THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS AND PERSONALLY IM JUST GONNA LISTEN TO MY BODY AND STICK WITH WHATS WORKING BEST FOR ME. BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY *HUGS* :flowerforyou:
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I think I need to stop taking the advice of other people and figure out what works for me for a while.

Sounds to me like you answered your own question here...
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You cannot overcomplicate this...that is what WW does and a lot of people cannot do their plan because of it.

Calories in vs calories out.

GOOD LUCK!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I think I need to stop taking the advice of other people and figure out what works for me for a while.

THIS.

All our bodies are different and react to things a different way. Go with what works for YOU and never look back!
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you're frustrated with this. I know exactly how you feel, because I felt like that to start. But in the end, losing weight and getting healthy isn't about being perfect all the time. I've found the key thing for me is moderation:

I try to stick to eating 1200 calories a day, and if I exercise and earn more, then I'll eat some or all back. I don't restrict myself too much, because then I'd be more likely to binge.

I try and keep my protein levels high, but don't really worry about carbs or fat - because the thing is with fats and sugars is that they are found in healthy foods e.g. sugar in fruit. Also, the important thing about protein is the weight you want to lose, you want to lose fat and not muscle, and eating lots of protein helps keep muscle.

Also, drinking lots of water is key to me - in keeping myself feeling full.

In the end though, you have to do what works for you. There's a lot of people out here with good advice and plans that they've followed, but you've got to find something that fits in with your lifestyle and that you can stick with.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you will follow the MFP plan, you will likely lose weight. But you are correct. There are many people on here who think they are experts on what works for everyone, even though they may know nothing about other than you are human. Because all humas are exactly them same, right?

You sound like a sensible person. Learn what works for you, and stop listening to everyone else. Good luck to you.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    MFP or the forums? Big difference. :happy:

^^ This! The forums are full of well-intentioned (mostly at least :wink: ) people who are NOT medically trained. You have to figure out what works for you and then stick to it.

The forums are sometimes helpful, but there's also a lot of conflicting opinions here. Don't take it all to heart. :flowerforyou:
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    It is possible to come close to sticking to your macros, have a look at my diary if you don't believe me :) You just need to pre-plan.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^THIS.

MFP tracking (web and iphone app) is awesome. MFP forums are...well, less-than-awesome.

Okay, I take back what I said about the forums...they're not less-than-awesome, they're just plain horrible. And the only entertaining parts are entertaining for all the wrong reasons. Easily more bad CW/broscience (or sisterscience) than fact.

Just follow a plan for a while, then reevaluate every six to eight weeks or so and adjust up or down as needed. If the trend is favorable and you feel good, keep doing what you're doing. If not, then adjust slightly. It isn't rocket science.

(Oh, and my current plan is to stick to continue to stick my 2800 - 3000 calories per day that I've been on for most of 2012 since it continues to give me the results I want...but I didn't get to this conclusion based on what others said. I got there by accurately tracking my own behavior, evaluating the results, and incrementally making adjustments. And I personally don't believe in CI-CO as the only answer to weight gain/loss though; as if hormone regulation, insulin sensitivity, etc plays no role in nutrient partitioning.)
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Exactly. :happy: Sorry you're having a rough time, but no one knows what works for you better than YOU. That's why I tend to only focus on my food diary and not bother too much with input from the forum. I do give my $0.02 from time to time, but I don't frame my $0.02 as gospel truth like some folks on here tend to do. Do what feels right to you and try not to be discouraged! *hugs*
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    For me it has been very helpful. I did not realize I was eating in the 4500 - 5000 calorie range till I started tracking it on this site. All of a sudden, it was easy to eat less.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ok, Im starting to feel like MFP isn’t all that helpful for me. (note I said for ME)

I have lost weight before by watching what I eat and working out. Simple enough right?

NO.

MFP says I should eat 1200 calories and workout and Ill lose “THIS” amount in 5 weeks.

Guy one: You need to eat more, you cant survive on 1200

Girl one: as long as your in a calorie deficit you should lose weight.

Guy two: you cant eat this, this, this, or that.

Girl two: it doesn’t matter what you eat, a calorie is a calorie as long as your in a deficit.

I mean WTH!

Taking all this advice has me going in circles. Its impossible for me to track and stay under on EVERYTHING.

If im staying under on calories and carbs, I go over on fat

If I track sugar and sodium- I don’t eat enough calories

If I track sodium I get too much sugar and vice versa

It shouldn’t take this much too lose weight man! :grumble: :noway:

Im very dedicated but Im having a VERY hard time figuring out which route to take!

Im thinking I should just focus on netting 1200 calories per day, and staying low on bad carbs and sodium.

And staying off of these message boards.

Thanks for listening :sad: :sad: :yawn:

this made me chuckle...
    bump

... and this made me literally laugh out loud.

stop pining for attention. listen to your body and what it feels and use that for weight loss.

dont rant and then bump it five minutes later unless you have good information (which you dont) or have a question you want answered (again, a swing and a miss here)

you have clearly stated what you think you need to do, now go do it.

Just wondering WHY you bothering responding? Beat it.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

^THIS.

MFP tracking (web and iphone app) is awesome. MFP forums are...well, less-than-awesome.

Okay, I take back what I said about the forums...they're not less-than-awesome, they're just plain horrible. And the only entertaining parts are entertaining for all the wrong reasons. Easily more bad CW/broscience (or sisterscience) than fact.

Just follow a plan for a while, then reevaluate every six to eight weeks or so and adjust up or down as needed. If the trend is favorable and you feel good, keep doing what you're doing. If not, then adjust slightly. It isn't rocket science.

(Oh, and my current plan is to stick to continue to stick my 2800 - 3000 calories per day that I've been on for most of 2012 since it continues to give me the results I want...but I didn't get to this conclusion based on what others said. I got there by accurately tracking my own behavior, evaluating the results, and incrementally making adjustments. And I personally don't believe in CI-CO as the only answer to weight gain/loss though; as if hormone regulation, insulin sensitivity, etc plays no role in nutrient partitioning.)

Thank you for this!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Best answer!!
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I was using MFP for awhile before I ventured onto the boards. But I know what you mean, it's all so confusing. But honestly (for me) it isn't. I try to not get all bogged down with all the advice. Different stuff works for different people.

I make sure to net 1200 a day, and eat what I want just as long as it's below that. I look at my macros and am always way over on one thing and way other on another and so on and so fourth - but as long as it's not seeming to interfere with my general weightloss - I don't really care. Hell. I had lemon cake 2x this week and I'm still losing (because I'm in my correct range)

Try not to over think it! and good luck!
  • leeleeloulou
    Options
    Ok, Im starting to feel like MFP isn’t all that helpful for me. (note I said for ME)

I have lost weight before by watching what I eat and working out. Simple enough right?

NO.

MFP says I should eat 1200 calories and workout and Ill lose “THIS” amount in 5 weeks.

Guy one: You need to eat more, you cant survive on 1200

Girl one: as long as your in a calorie deficit you should lose weight.

Guy two: you cant eat this, this, this, or that.

Girl two: it doesn’t matter what you eat, a calorie is a calorie as long as your in a deficit.

I mean WTH!

Taking all this advice has me going in circles. Its impossible for me to track and stay under on EVERYTHING.

If im staying under on calories and carbs, I go over on fat

If I track sugar and sodium- I don’t eat enough calories

If I track sodium I get too much sugar and vice versa

It shouldn’t take this much too lose weight man! :grumble: :noway:

Im very dedicated but Im having a VERY hard time figuring out which route to take!

Im thinking I should just focus on netting 1200 calories per day, and staying low on bad carbs and sodium.

And staying off of these message boards.

Thanks for listening :sad: :sad: :yawn:

I stay within my calorie allowance mainly. I have my Carbs, Protein and Fat tracking but I only really pay attention to my Saturated fat and Calories - seems to work for me and it's nice and simple, but I have only been at it a few days :-S

Hope I've helped

Leah xxxx
  • Cat_from_Chicago
    Cat_from_Chicago Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know how confusing it can be but you have to figure out what works, for you.

My best suggestion is looking at your friend's diary (not mine, lol) to get ideas on what other stuff you can eat & stay under carbs, sodium, etc. I say not mine because I constantly struggle with sodium. I eat out a lot !

Everyone has been a great help in giving me ideas of what I can substitute for the stuff I would typically eat...
  • Cat_from_Chicago
    Cat_from_Chicago Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you will follow the MFP plan, you will likely lose weight. But you are correct. There are many people on here who think they are experts on what works for everyone, even though they may know nothing about other than you are human. Because all humas are exactly them same, right?

You sound like a sensible person. Learn what works for you, and stop listening to everyone else. Good luck to you.

THIS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • EmilyDuby
    EmilyDuby Posts: 67
    Options
    Don't stress so much! I just try my best everyday to eat under my goal and to go a bit over on protein and a bit under on carbs (my blood sugars are prediabetic so I need to be careful). I get healthy things to eat most of the time but I also let myself enjoy the not so healthy things that I love. If you get too stressed you won't be able to keep up you new lifestyle so you have to find what works for you and makes you comfortable.
  • princess6213
    Options
    Idk If Its A Help Yet Hopefully It Is I Been On This For Months Keep Giving Up This Time Im Going To Stay Focused And Succeeed Today Is My 3rd Day Following My 1200 Intake Althought I Been Eating Lower I Walk To Work Excersis After Work I Hope It Helps I Wanna Go From 160 To 135