how to cure an addiction to bread

Options

Replies

• davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    let some bread go really mouldy, then force yourself to eat the whole loaf... dry...

$10 says you never want to see another crumb
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    wheat addiction! It is pretty common and wheat does have addictive qualities. I would try cutting it and all forms of wheat (gluten) out for 30 days and see if your cravings go away. It will take a lot of willpower, especially if you are going to keep bread in the house for your daughter, but you can do it! Replace the calories with healthy fats and protein. Try some avocado, coconut oil, grassfed meats, whole fat dairy, etc.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    personally i would be ok with that but i have a 5 year old daughter that we need to have nice healthy bread for. nice thought though

yeah i have to have bread in the house for my son, i just have to try and avoid it myself
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also crazy about bread and can eat a whole loaf if I don't pay attention.
    Right now, I only buy real bread (not packaged) on the weekends, and eat 100 calories sandwich thins during the week.
    What has helped me cut down on how much I eat is to slice the bread instead of just taking a piece, weigh it always and log every crumb. Once you see how many calories it has, it helps cut down. I still eat a lot, but a lot less than before.
    Good luck!

PS: there's a connection between carbs and the release of serotonin, so what you're feeling is real!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/458114-carbohydrates-and-serotonin/
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    How much sugar do you eat? I'm wondering, because people are known to have sugar addictions, and once your body processes the carb in bread, it's the same fuel. Have you thought about trying the South Beach diet? It has you right off sugar and carbs for 2 weeks to 'break the addiction' and then slowly introducing healthy carbs back into your diet. My sister had great results with it. Good luck!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Is bread that vital to your daughter's diet? I never really cared much for bread as a kid and ate sandwiches on pitas and tortillas instead. I don't know if it's all bread that's addictive for you, but if it's not, I would suggest just not having bread in the house at all and using alternative "breads" if they don't trigger your addiction.

But really the only way to break a bread addiction is to go cold turkey, after you stop eating it for a few weeks the cravings should dissipate.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I used to love bread, and I couldn't imagine living without it. That all changed when I became more aware of the negative effects it was having on my body. I would eat an entire loaf in a day, constantly craving it every couple of hours, a never ending cycle.

The fact I had ballooned up to my heaviest weight was an alarm bell for me. I slowly started cutting out the item's associated with bread. Jam's, cheesewhiz, processed meats, butter, peanut butter, and started reducing the size of my serving's. It took about 3-4 months. I'm not 100 percent bread free yet, but I slowly reaching that point.

I do make my own pita bread and pizza, but am looking at ways to reduce how many times I have it in a month.

I think if you do something gradual it isn't as hard as going cold turkey when changing your diet. The healthier you eat, the lest cravings you appear to get. It has worked for me anyways.

Hope that your able to jump off the carb train and get gluten free, just try baby steps.

Good luck
    :wink:
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have been buying Nature's Own Honey Wheat 40 calorie per slice bread. My kids eat it without complaint. It has plenty of fiber. I also switched to Thomas's Light Whole Grain English Muffins - they are 100 calories each and packed with fiber. I usually only eat 1 muffin per day and maybe 2 slices of bread. But they are much lower in calories and a good source of fiber.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    one thing that helped me considerably was to start making it myself. not only was i learning a good skill, but I could give them away to friends, keeping just a little for myself.

I almost never bake in the summertime, so immediately my bread consumption goes way down after March or April.

Also, I can bulk up the breads with all kinds of fibery goodness like oats, wheat germ, flax, sunflower seeds or whatever it is I feel like having that day!

It's also a bit of a workout to knead bread by hand, which I did for the first 4 years I baked my own. Last year I got a mixer, so I only knead a little by hand at the finish.

You can also make several batches and freeze the unbaked or parbaked loaves.

All of this helped me put into perspective the gift of bread: it can be a lot of work and I don't want to gobble down that work disrespectfully.

hth,
    k
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

I do make my own pita bread and pizza, but am looking at ways to reduce how many times I have it in a month.

have you tried the cauliflower crust yet? holy moses: it's delicious. not a huge savings in calories, but enormous savings in simple carbs.

edit: i made it last night, so you can check out the numbers on my diary.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of just making lettuce wraps, anything you put in a sandwich can be put in lettuce, but if you aren't ready to give up bread light bread. I don't know where your from Nickles and Aunt Millies both make bread that only have 35 calories per slice.
  • darkskulls
    Options
    Why not try having weight watchers or nible bread so that even if you do have a couple of slices it wont be the end of the world :P
    Also it taste GOOD!
  • Nishka09
    Nishka09 Posts: 33
    Options
    How much sugar do you eat? I'm wondering, because people are known to have sugar addictions, and once your body processes the carb in bread, it's the same fuel. Have you thought about trying the South Beach diet? It has you right off sugar and carbs for 2 weeks to 'break the addiction' and then slowly introducing healthy carbs back into your diet. My sister had great results with it. Good luck!

I agree with this. I think Atkins, south beach, or Dukan could help.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Go cold turkey....none at all. Sad but if it is one of your trigger foods...let it go until you can control the portion. Ice cream is mine. No one ever told me a half gallon was not a single serviing. I can't go near the stuff.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    it may sound weird but i believe i have an addiction to bread.

At times, I've had cravings for raw pasta. How weird is that? I stopped a little before beginning to log here, but if I resumed I would hate to calculate all the calories.

If you crave weird things (or ice cold things), get checked for iron deficiency.

As far as the bread addiction, you're going to have to "budget" bread into your diet. It's not reasonable to never eat it for the rest of your life. You have to decide in advance how much and how often. Then whenever you eat it, you know you're not going to be able to eat it later. It limits binging.

Since you obviously enjoy GOOD bread, you might consider this strategy:
    http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/02/09/back-to-basics-tips-and-techniques-to-create-a-great-loaf-in-5-minutes-a-day

You mix up a batch of yeast dough and keep it in the fridge. Every day you pinch off a ball, let it raise, and bake it. The smaller the ball you cut off, the more loaves you get from one batch.

You can also do sourdough and keep adding in more flour and water each time, so you have a perpetual source of daily loaves. That's not for people who don't want bread every day, of course.
  • rtywonia
    rtywonia Posts: 4
    Options
    Lousy - cheap guy has is it mostly correct. However what you really want to do is buy the bread which has the least amount of sugar. Typically this type of bread is the cheapest and worst tasting. Trader Joes has really inexpensive bread that is low in sugar or no added sugar.

I learned this tip listening to a radio program. I then checked the sugar content on my favorite expensive bread and of course it had the highest amount. This is why I loved it and would eat up to 8 pieces a day.

Buy the cheap, bad tasting, low sugar bread and you are cured. Two pieces a day will do it. Also, do not add a lot of butter or jam to the bread. That will turn it into good tasting bread which defeats the lousy - cheap point. It will not taste so lousy any more.

I use a teaspoon of fruit spread for the two pieces. Makes is a little palatable and fruit spread has no added sugar. A teaspoon is only about 30 calories.
  • Rapunzelmom
    Rapunzelmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem but it's starchy foods in general. Bread, rice Pasta. It doesn't seem to matter to my waistline that it is the highest quality bread, rice or pasta.
    Basically I went cold turkey on grains (and potatoes) and my carbohydrate cravings diminished greatly by day 3. Hang in there! Now that I am off of it, I actually feel so much better, and I think I may actually have a wheat intolerance. Now that it has been nearly 5 weeks I generally will have one meal a week (saturday night) where I allow myself to have grains. But the more time goes on the less I want them.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat bread everyday, don't think it messes with my weight loss either. Can you just cut back to only a few slices a day? If you get a low cal kind with high fiber it can be a healthy addition to your diet.
  • missaugustusgloop
    Options
    I don't keep bread in the house because I too like it too much. It may as well be a loaf of donuts. My boyfriend always buys bread for himself, but I don't touch it because it is his. (He would gladly share if I want it, but I do not allow myself to have any.)

I don't believe keeping some around and "only enjoying some as a treat" will work right away for you if you're having an issue with "bread moderation." I say that because it definitely doesn't work for me! If you have to keep it in the house for your daughter, I would either A) think of it as completely off limits. You are not allowed to eat that bread. It is not yours... or B) Keep it in the freezer and toast it for her when you use it for her sandwiches, whatever.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You are just going to have to lay it down. Here is where the rubber meets the road. This is not an area that you are able to have control in, so you must WALK AWAY FROM THE BREAD AND DO NOT LOOK BACK. If you were able to eat in moderation,......but you are not. It is really your choice. When you are ready to make a serious change you will just lay it down, but no one on here can tell you the secret, because there is no secret. There is only mindset. If you are a person of faith, pray.