Hungry all the time

Options
Hi, I've been given 1200 cals to consume everyday but sometimes I go over :(

I try to eat high fibre filling foods like wholemeal bread and rice and protein foods like eggs but I'm still so hungry! And then when I eat more to satisfy my hunger I go over the 1200!

Does anyone have any meal ideas or tips or ideas of filling snacks please?

(Wasn't sure which forum topic to put this in but figured me going over my calorie intake and therefore making me gain weight seemed like it belonged in general diet etc)

Replies

• AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You might be eating too few calories. MFP had my calories at 1200, until I learned that I needed to eat more to lose weight. Now I am up to 1700-1800 calories a day, and I am never hungry (and losing weight)!

:drinker:
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What are you drinking?
  • eliamunch
    eliamunch Posts: 18
    Options
    What are you drinking?

are you talking to me or the person above you? lol
    I drink water incase you were talking to me :)
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I suggest u drink lots of water, and maybe eat more meat. Well, it works with me so....
    And try eating oatmeals, they are filling too :)
  • VickyB73
    VickyB73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 2 weeks in to this and I have found the days I do the best are when I have my big meal at lunch time instead of supper. I often will get hungry late afternoon and instead of snacking, I will do my workout about 4 or 4:30 and then have a cup of milk after. This satisfies my hunger and also gives me an after-workout dose of protein. MFP has me at 1320 calories a day to lose 1 lb/week. I'm at 2 weeks, 2 days and have lost 4 lbs.
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    Sigh...I lose count of the amount of times I tell people this but you need to up your cals, 1200 is more than likely under your BMR, which you shouldn't ever go under. It really annoys me that mfp seems to set everyone up on 1200, its just not sustainable. I your hungry all the time it's your body trying to tell you something, listen to it!

Just make sure your food choices are the right ones. I don't believe in diets, just better lifestyle and food choices. I'm maintaining on over 2000 cals a day, i've eaten 1200 my mid day most days!
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm - EAT MORE - problem solved!
  • Beckaymom
    Beckaymom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The less sugar you eat and the less fructose in items.....and the more time that goes by......the less hungry you will feel. You need to give it some time. Do what you are doing and feel the hungry~s but after about 3 or 4 days it will calm down.
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    I am pretty new to this as well. I read the nutritional labels on everything and figure what will satisfy my hunger/craving and if the serving size is worth it. Hubby is starting to hate to go grocery shopping with me. I eat 6 times a day on average as I am someone who likes to snack. It seems those 6 times really help keep the hunger away.
  • VickyB73
    VickyB73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, you may need to up your calories so your body doesn't go into "starvation mode" and not allow you to lose weight. Gradual weight loss is WAY better for your body and you will keep it off longer (take advice from an almost 40 year old!!!) Also try building your muscle, the more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn at your resting state. And drink LOTS of water!!!
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I too was given 1200 by MFP when I started. I never was able to stick to it. I found this calculator and it has me eating much more.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    This calorie calculator calculates the optimal calorie intake and macro-nutrient values to lose fat without losing any muscle.

You may lose weight eating 1200, but what is the quality of the weight loss. Most likely some of that weight is muscle, and that is the last thing you want to lose. You want to lose fat and build muscle! Which can sometimes mean not seeing the scale number drop, but you will certainly see it in the way your clothes fit and how you feel.

Since I increased my intake I have more energy, I'm happier, and have drops 2 pants sizes. Compared to eating less, being hungry and pissy all the time.
  • eliamunch
    eliamunch Posts: 18
    Options
    I've upped to 1500 think that'll do?
  • _MeggieGirl_
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER. I used to be like you. Then, I started drinking more WATER! :tongue:
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sigh...I lose count of the amount of times I tell people this but you need to up your cals, 1200 is more than likely under your BMR, which you shouldn't ever go under. It really annoys me that mfp seems to set everyone up on 1200, its just not sustainable. I your hungry all the time it's your body trying to tell you something, listen to it!

Just make sure your food choices are the right ones. I don't believe in diets, just better lifestyle and food choices. I'm maintaining on over 2000 cals a day, i've eaten 1200 my mid day most days!

This!
  • Emilit_uk
    Emilit_uk Posts: 87
    Options
    Erm, ok but water isn't going to fuel your daily activity or repair and strengthen your muscles when you exercise is it? I agree to drink plenty of water, but not to trick your body into feeling full when your actually genuinely hungry....
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've upped to 1500 think that'll do?

Depends on your height & weight. I am 5'7, and since upping to 1500 (when I was around 150 lbs) I've seen excellent results. Not only have I slimmed down and lost some pounds, but since I'm keeping my protein intake high I have also gained muscle. I look and feel MUCH better. I highly recommend it!
  • Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Eating protein....eggs, nuts, yogurt or try fruit. I also drink hot tea....it helps curb my appetite when I get sugar cravings in the afternoon.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My calorie allowance is 1200 too so I know how you feel. I try to exercise regularly to earn extra exercise calories so I don't have to live on just 1200. If I didn't earn extra calories and stayed below 1200 I'd have quit long ago.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    mfp set me up at 2200 so i dont understand the problem...

1200 is a very low calorie diet though... try calculating your bmr and changing your mfp goals