Protein powder

Options
I have tried taking protein to help lose weight before, but I gained weight so I stopped. I know it's extra calories, but I exercise. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great! Right now I can only eat 1200 calories, and for my body size I am suppose to take 90-100 grams of protein daily.

Replies

• Charismasme2
    Charismasme2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I recently started upping my protein. I'm eating egg whites, and lean meats like turkey tenderloin. Just bake it, and keep it in the fridge. Works well, and in the last couple of days I've managed to up them to almost where I need to be. Also when I'm a bit short, I'll eat a Pure Protein bar. Not high in carbs, and tastes great. Haven't found one that I didn't like.
  • maryb2374
    maryb2374 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I recently started upping my protein. I'm eating egg whites, and lean meats like turkey tenderloin. Just bake it, and keep it in the fridge. Works well, and in the last couple of days I've managed to up them to almost where I need to be. Also when I'm a bit short, I'll eat a Pure Protein bar. Not high in carbs, and tastes great. Haven't found one that I didn't like.

Ditto on the Pure Protein bars. I've only tried the Chocolate Deluxe ones but they are good. I've tried their chocolate and vanilla shakes and I prefer the chocolate ones. I wasn't a big fan of the vanilla so I gave them to hubby to take to work b/c he likes vanilla over chocolate and skips breakfast a lot.

I also like Greek Yogurt and nuts for protein. Not necessarily together but I've never tried that. :smile:
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    I've been using Body by Visalus protein powder for about 3 months now. I have lost about 6 pounds but I've lost a lot of inches - I can now wear clothes I haven't worn in a very long time. I love it - I make a shake for breakfast (mocha - with cocoa powder and instant coffee) and one for lunch (butterfinger - it has peanut butter, a little butterscotch pudding, and cocoa powder). It has 90 calories in 2 scoops. I use it with Almond Milk because skim milk upsets my stomach, but the milk would give you even more protein. The powder itself has 12 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber and there is a lot of added nutrition as well. The other two women who are in the office where I work are using it too. We all love it. I started it more for the nutrition - it keeps my blood sugar steady and I'm never hungry (except when it's time for lunch) and I don't have cravings. The days that I don't have one (like on the weekends sometimes) I miss it. And I don't think it's really that expensive because it is like a meal. There are a ton of recipes on-line too for different ones - those are just my favorites.
  • Zaetalicious
    Zaetalicious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you exercise you should be eating some of your exercise calories back - this will give you more wiggle room in your menu.

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Soy Protein in Vanilla Bean - it's 120 calories a scoop, 1g of carbs, 2g of fat and 0g of sugar. I drink it usually once a day, sometimes twice if I've had a hard work out and need something before bed.
  • smorris21
    smorris21 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the responses! I will try some of the suggestions! Thanks!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories, but I start my days with this smoothie:

1 scoop Dymatize Elite Whey Protein - rich chocolate
    1 banana
    1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt
    1/2 cup skim milk
    3-4 large ice cubes

It has 332 calories, 41 grams carbs, only 2 grams of fat, and a whopping 41 grams of protein. Bonus: it keeps me full until lunch!
  • rando348
    rando348 Posts: 22
    Options
    if you are hitting your protein goals through food then no need for protein powder. Its a "supplement" to your diet. Not necessary. If you only have 1200 calories a day to eat you might feel more full if you are getting protein though food. It just comes down to your lifestyle. Will you be more satisfied with a chicken breast that will give you 25 grams of protein or a protein shake that will give you the same protein?

Just something to think about. I use champion nutrition brand. Tastes great. Especially mocha cappachino. Buy it online. Its cheaper.