Need obese exercise tips

Options
In the spirit of, "People don't change b/c they see the light, they change b/c they feel the heat." My weight now has me feeling the heat in a way I always knew, but never accepted or prepared for, would come. I have recently been working with a doctor to establish a baseline for my health and the needed changes. I weigh 420 pounds and have recently found I have about all of the classic obesity related health issues.

I certainly have very little knowledge of the lifestyle change I have now begun so any ideas and guidance are welcome. My specific topic is exercise. I know I have to exercise myself (no pun intended) through this situation but I could use ideas on exercise for someone who is very, very fresh off the couch.

Thanks

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Hi. I would recommend good old fashioned walking. It's a great place to start.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    First of all...Welcome to MFP! :drinker:

Everybody here is more than willing to help since were all on the same path. Some have a lot more experience then me as you will find out soon.

I have alot of physical issues such as recent back surgery & a heel issue at the moment (which I'm seeing a physical therapist for) but what works for me is my recumbent bike....it's easy on the bum & I can ride slow or fast. It's a interesting bike if you know what one is it's very comfortable too. I put a pillow behind my back & watch an hour long movie or read a magazine or something. I started off with 5 minutes and have slowly pushed my time up to a decent amount of time so I can still have a few goodies without going cold turkey on everything at once. Walking may be too difficult for you right now but Swimming would be better for your joints & the recumbent bike.

Your in the right place....Good Luck to you:heart::flowerforyou: :heart:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:

You've got ambitious goals but there are others on this site who have lost similar amounts. You can do it too!

Walking or swimming are generally easier on your joints when you got a lot to lose and you're first starting out. It also helps to do something you like. I used to be a total couch potato until I discovered tai chi, but the social aspect is very important to me. Other people, like my daughter, would rather hide out in their basement with Wii.

Whatever you decide to do, I know you'll be getting lots of good tips and support here. Good luck on your journey!
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    Hi there!
    I agree with Hanne56 - right now, because of our heavy bulk, it may be too strenuous to try anything heavy duty. Walking is always the safest, as it's gentle on our joints. Swimming is another excellent idea. Even if you can't swim, just walking a couple of laps across the pool will be awesome for the body!

I literally started my exercise regime off the couch too, about 2 months ago ... just maintain an active lifestyle - just keep moving - walking, doing house chores - just move :)

For a killer combo, look into your diet as well ... many will loose their initial weight just by making healthier choices in the food they consume.

Finally, watch the Biggest Loser - i find that show totally inspiring and motivating! In fact, I am on my stationary bike doing my workout while those in the show are doing their workout :) And i pretend that Bob & Jillian are pushing me to go the extra mile :)

Good luck to you!
  • Karenne
    Karenne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello..I started here a couple of months back and decided to take up swimming 3-4 times a week for about an hr...I cant swim properly yet as have shoulder problems and have a few health issues..but i do laps across the pool by walking or floating, just generally always moving and i have found it great and its easy on your joints..I wished i had done it alot sooner....Hope you find something you enjoy and there is plenty of ongoing support here its really great. All the best..
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    It's awesome the changes you are making. Every little change makes a difference. I agree with the walking. At times this may seem daunting, so don't make too big of goals so that you get discouraged. If you have not really exercised before, then walk to the end of your block and back. Start off doing it once a day, then twice a day, then three times a day, then extend the length of the walk. And find ways to "keep moving" throughout your day. Park your car two spaces farther than normal when going to the grocery store. Little things can make huge differences. And keep posting your progress, setbacks. We are all here to encourage each other. WELCOME!
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of, "People don't change b/c they see the light, they change b/c they feel the heat." My weight now has me feeling the heat in a way I always knew, but never accepted or prepared for, would come. I have recently been working with a doctor to establish a baseline for my health and the needed changes. I weigh 420 pounds and have recently found I have about all of the classic obesity related health issues.

I certainly have very little knowledge of the lifestyle change I have now begun so any ideas and guidance are welcome. My specific topic is exercise. I know I have to exercise myself (no pun intended) through this situation but I could use ideas on exercise for someone who is very, very fresh off the couch.

Thanks

Take a look at this video-
    http://teambeachbody.com/showcase/-/bcp/32494669001/28783/?referringRepId=28783
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I agree with everyone' s suggestions. I just wanted to add to the recumbent bike idea. I have worked with many people that have a regular stationary bike but feel uncomfortable sitting on the seat. You can turn a regular bike into a recumbent bike by raising the seat as high as possible and bringing a sturdy chair up behind the bike. Many of my clients will use a pillow to pad the back of the seat. Most hang onto the seat for added stability/comfort.

Good luck and we look forward to hearing about your progress :happy:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.

I started in the same place you are. Morbidly Obese! I agree with everyone else on the walking and swimming. I walked for 9 months before I even thought about running. I have access to an outdoor pool, so over the summer swam as much as I could.

Don't worry about special diets, Insanity, P90X, C25K and all this other stuff. However, never miss an opportunity to be active. As you gradually feel better, you'll want to try new things. Just remember to start slow, and in your case I would discuss it with your doctor, because getting injured isn't going to get you to your goals any faster.

Also be sure and use the food diary. You can't out excersise a bad diet. You can lose weight with a good diet and no excersise, but not the other way around. I have always been pretty active, but up until recently had no self control over my eating habits, and it got me to 336 lbs.

But it is possible. I will have a lot of initial success just based on how big you are. Good Luck. and don't be afraid to ask for help. That's what we're here for.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I love what iplayoutside said. I would reiterate all his words. As a formerly obese person I understand all that you are talking about.

Here's some of the biggest things I have learned over my 2 plus years on MFP:

1) While exercise is key to a lifestyle change, food is the most important factor in dropping weight, and dropping weight correctly, and dropping the right kind of weight (body and intramuscular fat).

2) don't try to do too much at once, start slowly, create a plan that you can live with first, the big thing is HAVING a plan, a plan that's achievable. I don't mean a goal, a goal is great, but goals without a plan are doomed to fail. MFP makes this easy by giving you the amount of calories to eat. Set up a schedule of when to eat, and figure out what you need to eat (the KINDS of food to eat at each meal) that will bring you to your calorie goal. It doesn't have to be exact, but having a plan for daily food consumption will make this much easier.

3) For now, keep the exercise light, doable, and constant. Add some walking and maybe some light bicycle or elliptical to your weekly routine. Get used to the eating plan and doing the exercise, then when you are comfortable, add some more cardio and a little light weight training in, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel after 2 or 3 months.

4) measure progress, but not daily. Many people can be overwhelmed with the fluctuations of daily weight. Take measurements with a tailor's tape measure, and retake them about once a month or so. Weigh yourself once every couple of weeks. Don't base your schedule on how much weight you've gained/lost over the last week, stay consistant. Their will be plenty of time for tweaking later on when you're body fat is lower.

5) And lastly, expect setbacks (plateaus). This is important, it's part of the process, there will be weeks where you don't lose, even a few here and there where you may gain, that's ok, it's part of the process, stick to it, keep at it, and don't be afraid to get mad. Just never quit! This is a battle, and with every battle you'll have ups and downs.

I hope this helps,

-Banks
  • jhb090107
    Options
    That is the coolest thing I've seen all day!

I downloaded the P90X workouts for a friend who wanted to get back into shape. After previewing some of the video clips I told him it looked amazing but he was in for a world of hurt if he thought he was going to jump from no activity to the P90X (he agreed it was a little advanced for him right now). I also told him that I think I would consider myself in great shape if I ever got to where I could do one of those workouts!

Thanks - Raining today and now I have an alternative to walking!