Weight loss supplements?

Options
2»

Replies

• adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Saw your response to creatine. You will 100% positively not lose weight using that, you will gain. It pours fluid to muscles for recovery. It certainly works I believe for strength gains which in turn may help you burn more calories but the effects are only as long as you progress in weight and use supplement. If you are not maxing weights, you may find that you get generally puffy and soft. This is just my experience with training others and their general outcomes.

I totally appreciate your input and concern. My personal regimen includes strength training (8-10 reps, increasing weight at almost every workout, 3 resistance workouts per week).

With more research, i'm pretty confident that creatine could be a good solution for me, used in moderation.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I think you're on the right track - just about everything you see advertised also suggests (in the fine print) that you combine it with diet and exercise.
    Personally I think that focussing on the diet and exercise is what is going to have you at a healthy weight for the long term. Any supplements are just going to get you motivated initially (not that I'm knocking that) but it isn't going to be a long term solution. The long term solution has to mean a change in habits - for good, not just for a few months while you are on a "diet".

I agree. Its all in the way you eat and getting enough exercise.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think the best ones are fruits and vegetables. Minimal side effects.

Everything else either harms you or does nothing and isn't sustainable over the long term.
  • adietron
    Options
    I agree. Its all in the way you eat and getting enough exercise.

You know, you guys are totally right... I think the root of my problem/curiosity is actually patience :wink:
  • adietron
    Options
    I take GNC burn 60! It's a thermogenic.

I did some research on a bunch of the thermogenics on the market (and holy crap there are a ton of them, some of them with pretty sketchy side effects), but I came across something unexpected...

Green tea, especially when in combination with caffeine:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0955286310001609
  • MrRosi
    MrRosi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    so does a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in the morning... was on Dr. Oz!!
  • MrRosi
    MrRosi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    the cheap thing is cayenne pepper powder 1-3 tsp a day. It increases metabolism/blood circulation a bit.

1/2 tspn of cinnamon apparently kick starts your metabolism in the morning as well... (as per Dr. Oz)
  • normane5
    normane5 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been taking this Mega Man mix, too expensive, but has really helped fire up my work outs!
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I take CLA, Omega Fish Oil, and Multi V along side proper caloric intake...That's it and its consistently working for me :)
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    I take CLA, Omega Fish Oil, and Multi V along side proper caloric intake...That's it and its consistently working for me :)

I take the same thing along with a green tea supplement and I'm seeing a difference in fat % loss. I also do cardio 6-7 days a week and lift 3 days a week. Add to that I eat pretty clean. So, basically it all boils down to your diet and workouts. Supplements are just to aid in your efforts.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing for about six months with one month on then one month off. Sadly I didn't see any difference in the amount of weight I was losing with or without those supplements. I used tonalin cla, which I got for about 5 bucks a bottle. I don't remember how much the vitamin or the fish oil was, but I know I'm out at least $15 for a six month experiment. I haven't bothered with cla or fish oil at all this year. I still haven't had a weight loss plateau doing it the natural way yet.
  • GrandmaCarole
    GrandmaCarole Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There is only one over the counter supplement that has been approved by the FDA and shown in well documented double blind tests that it helps lose weight. It is a fat blocker that is sold over the counter in a reduced dose form of a prescription drug. It must be combined with a healthy diet like MFP to be effective. Only cutting calories truly causes weight loss. Health food supplements are also often dangerous but have not been researched as well and are not required by the government to reveal side effects. Our son took an "energy drink" and ended up in the emergency room with his heart fibrilllating. They had to used paddles on him. Exercise is the healthy alternative for raising metabolism and burning some calories..:flowerforyou: Carole
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    There is only one over the counter supplement that has been approved by the FDA and shown in well documented double blind tests that it helps lose weight. It is a fat blocker that is sold over the counter in a reduced dose form of a prescription drug. It must be combined with a healthy diet like MFP to be effective. Only cutting calories truly causes weight loss. Health food supplements are also often dangerous but have not been researched as well and are not required by the government to reveal side effects. Our son took an "energy drink" and ended up in the emergency room with his heart fibrilllating. They had to used paddles on him. Exercise is the healthy alternative for raising metabolism and burning some calories..:flowerforyou: Carole
    You can always count on grandmas for some words of wisdom.
  • alisha232
    alisha232 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used Oxy Elite Pro because of the time restraint I had. I am in the army. I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy. The Army is downsizing and I needed to lose 60 pounds in 6 months. I paired it with a balanced and healthy diet as well as exercise everyday. I didn't notice much of a difference, but it did help me beat plateaus when I reached them.