Before and After FOOD CHOICES

Options
Hi! I'm looking to discover how other people have changed what they order when eating out. Please post the following info:

1) Name of Restaurant:

2) Before MFP:

3) After: MFP

4) Calorie savings:

I find that I would much rather eat at home these days. However, when I travel or am in a situation when I do not have the option to eat at home (but need to eat a meal), I struggle with breaking free from old habits. EVEN THOUGH I do not enjoy the food I used to eat, I just don't know what to order besides the salad and frankly, sometimes those are not always appealing!

I know the tricks: drink water, order food not cooked in this and that, request half of meal to be boxed right away...I'm looking for plain, simple, practical ideas that will help me beyond these tips!

Thank you in advance! :happy:

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    1. Burger King
    2. Whopper w/cheese and mayo (900+ cals?), large onion ring (600?), large soda (2-300), 2-3 containers of zesty sauce (150 each)
    3. Whopper Jr, no cheese), medium onion ring, 1 container of zesty sauce, medium diet soda or water
    4. Substantial! 700+

1. Pizza Hut
    2. 1/2 large supreme pizza (or more!), couple breadsticks w/sauce, couple of cinna sticks, maybe some pasta, a soda
    3. Personal size pizza , 1 breadstick , diet soda or water
    4. A lot! Even though #3 is still high in calories, I can fit it into my day and it's a LOT less. Again, I'd say 700+ saved
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This isn't what you are asking for, but............

When I eat out, I ask for the Nutrition Guide and they bring me a big notebook with EVERY menu item and all of the calories, fat, sat fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbs, proteins, etc! Then I look for items based on my needs. Applebees, Wendy's, Ruby Tuesday, Boston Market......They all have big thick nutrition guides for the asking. Some places have online guides, AND MFP has a lot of items to compare if you just type in Olive Garden and hit the nutrition button??

Hope that helps some? Grace to you as you figure it all out!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My favourites are:

Pizza Hut:
    Before: Regular Veggie Supreme Pizza (894 Calories)
    After: Chicken Delight Pizzetta (461 Calories)
    Calorie Saving: 433 Calories

McDonalds:
    Before: McChicken Sandwich Meal (Large) (845 Calories)
    After: Chicken Legend (On Its Own) (550 Calories)
    Calorie Saving: 295 Calories

McDonalds:
    After: Chicken Nugget Happy Meal (400 Calories)
    Calorie Saving: 445 Calories
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Although I stopped eating out as much, I still do a couple of times weekly. I don't have many chain restaurants where I live so I can't be helpful there but I do try to choose the healthier option on the menu and eat 1/2 or 1/4 of it. I tend to stick to grilled foods like chicken and have been eating a lot of grilled seafood. I just remove the the items that aren't desirable for my lifestyle. When I log, I chose one of the options that is there, albeit, not perfect. It is working for me. Just yesterday I went to an Italian restaurant and chose a grilled chicken wrap instead of have a plate full of pasta. Amazingly enuf, my choice inspired my co-worker to changer her order to the same thing. Its all about choices. Once you've chosen the more appropriate food and have eaten the correct potion, you will feel full and not want anything else. Another trick is to drink a glass of water before you go and have another when you're there. Good eating!
  • tyranelson
    tyranelson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whoa! HUGE changes! Please keep 'em coming! This is very helpful. Particularly the part about ASKING FOR THE NUTRITION booklet! I love that idea and would have never known!
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Name of Rest. : To many to mention :blushing:

Before MFP: hummm? over 2500 calories per day

After MFP: on a 1480 calorie journey right now

I have not really been to a resturant to eat since starting MFP. I may stop at Subway for a salad in the morning for my lunch, but I have started planning my meals and usually take a lunch or have a low cal. frozen dinner for lunch.

I do want to reward myself with Olive Garden when I reach a 25 pound weight lose
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My favourites are:

Pizza Hut:
    Before: Regular Veggie Supreme Pizza (894 Calories)
    After: Chicken Delight Pizzetta (461 Calories)
    Calorie Saving: 433 Calories

McDonalds:
    After: Chicken Legend (On Its Own) (550 Calories)
    Calorie Saving: 295 Calories

McDonalds:
    After: Chicken Nugget Happy Meal (400 Calories)
    Calorie Saving: 445 Calories

What is the Chcken legend? I have worked at McDonalds in 3 different states over the course of 9 years and have never heard of this! Not that I'd eat it, but I'm curious!

McDonalds:
    Before: Sausage Egg and Cheese bagel meal with extra Breakfast sauce and large mocha (Over 1000)
    After: Blueberry Oatmeal with medium sugar free vanilla iced coffee (380)
    Calorie Saving: Over 620

McDonalds:
    Before: Ranch BLT meal with mellow yellow (870)
    After: Bacon Ranch Salad with no chicken, ranch dressing and croutons (350)
    Calorie Saving: 520

I don't really eat out anymore, but since I work at McDonalds, I just try to make healthier choices.

I don't really eat out anymore, but I work at McDonalds, but
  • tyranelson
    Options
    Name of Rest. : To many to mention :blushing:

Before MFP: hummm? over 2500 calories per day

After MFP: on a 1480 calorie journey right now

I have not really been to a resturant to eat since starting MFP. I may stop at Subway for a salad in the morning for my lunch, but I have started planning my meals and usually take a lunch or have a low cal. frozen dinner for lunch.

I do want to reward myself with Olive Garden when I reach a 25 pound weight lose

@ Perfectdiamond: I hear you on that...avoiding restaurants now because quite frankly, the choices I make do not usually get me closer to my goal. With it being unavoidable at times, however, I want to know what choices other people who are on similar journeys have made.
  • tyranelson
    Options
    bump

I'm kind of new to MFP message boards...what does "bump" mean?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    What is the Chcken legend? I have worked at McDonalds in 3 different states over the course of 9 years and have never heard of this! Not that I'd eat it, but I'm curious!

It's here in the UK. It's like a luxury McChicken Sandwich. Much nicer chicken burger, a flour-topped brown ciabatta, mayo and batavia lettuce. It's higher calorie/fat etc than a McChicken Sandwich, but much, much more delicious so it makes a better 'meal'.
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm kind of new to MFP message boards...what does "bump" mean?
    Whenever you post in a forum, you can return to it by looking in My Topics above the message boards. If you just post "bump" it shows up in your topics so you can check it later. It just means, "I have nothing to add, but I do not want to lose this thread..."
  • Peppychristian
    Options
    1. Chick Fil A
    2. Medium Chicken Sandwich Combo. with Chick Fil A Sauce, ketchup, two cups of sweet tea, and a small shake.=1775 cal.
    3. 8 count nuggets, small fry, water, and a pack of bbq=605 cal.
    4. Difference= 1170 cal.

1. Burger King
    2. Whopper, Medium Fries, Medium Soda, Ketchup= 1280 cal.
    3. Whopper Jr. w/ no mayo, value onion ring, water, ketchup= 420 cal.
    4. Difference= 860 cal.

This is just a few examples. One of the first things I do is hunt out a nutrition menu and then make my choices based upon how many calories I have left for the day. Sometimes I treat myself to something special but I try to stay within my calories for the day.
  • Peppychristian
    Options
    I usually go for grilled foods over fried if possible, nuggets, and wraps (beware of the sauce). I am like you though. A salad just doesn't cut it. I also am a potato addict so usually I will allow myself the smallest fry they sell or split a large fry with my girls.
  • angelashay42
    angelashay42 Posts: 286
    Options
    Before MFP, I ate out ALL THE TIME. I always bought lunch, usually a bagel sandwich (~500 calories) and my husband and I went out to dinner at least once per week. I would order things like cheese enchiladas, grilled shrimp with mashed potatoes, pizza, and huge salads with full fat dressing.
    I don't eat out nearly as much anymore. I bring my lunch and we only go out for dinner once a month now. I plan ahead of time what I am going to order. Chain restaurants have a nutrition guide posted online and I will choose one of the lowest calorie dishes. When there aren't any low-cal options, I order a la carte! This is a good tip: order off the sides menu! Get a baked sweet potato, steamed broccoli, brown rice, side salad, roasted vegetables, cup of soup, etc. Just make sure to limit yourself to 2-3 items because they add up quickly and stay away from anything buttered or cooked in oil.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    1) Hacienda

2) Before MFP: White cheese & bean dip: 278 calories, chips: 250 calories, Seafood A la Hacienda: 750 calories, Chocolate Mountain Mud Slide: 350 calories

3) After MFP: Salsa: 22 calories, Chips: 250 calories, Sizzling Fajita Chicken Salad with lemon juice for dressing (half at restaurant and half at home): 340 calories

4) Before -- 1628; After -- 612; difference -- 1016!!!

1) Applebees

2) Before MFP: Spinach & Artichoke dip: 750 calories, Fiesta Lime Chicken: 1200 calories

3) After MFP: French Onion Soup: 260 calories, Asiago Peppercorn Steak: 380 calories

4) Before -- 1950; After -- 640; difference -- 1310!!!

. . . and I wondered why I was fat!!!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Place: Wendys

Before: Spicy chicken burger with extra extra mayo, large coke and medium fries with Ketchup. A whopping 1, 390 calories. (almost my daily intake btw)

Now: Baked potato with margarine, salt and pepper, side salad with no dressing (I don't like it) and a diet coke or water. Total 330.

Difference: 1,060
  • tyranelson
    Options
    1) Hacienda

2) Before MFP: White cheese & bean dip: 278 calories, chips: 250 calories, Seafood A la Hacienda: 750 calories, Chocolate Mountain Mud Slide: 350 calories

3) After MFP: Salsa: 22 calories, Chips: 250 calories, Sizzling Fajita Chicken Salad with lemon juice for dressing (half at restaurant and half at home): 340 calories

4) Before -- 1628; After -- 612; difference -- 1016!!!

1) Applebees

2) Before MFP: Spinach & Artichoke dip: 750 calories, Fiesta Lime Chicken: 1200 calories

3) After MFP: French Onion Soup: 260 calories, Asiago Peppercorn Steak: 380 calories

4) Before -- 1950; After -- 640; difference -- 1310!!!

. . . and I wondered why I was fat!!!

I know, right?!? I would say stuff like, "Why do I KEEP gaining weight? I don't even eat that much!" But my choices were based on my cravings alone rather than what was somewhat good for me while also satisfying my taste buds. I am truly in shock when I look at how many calories I used to consume each and every day/week! Now that I'm making more conscious, healthy choices, even the most stubborn pound on me will have to get the hell out of my way! With enough good choices, my body will have NO choice but to change!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds
    Before- mcchicken meal w/large fries and coke plus a hot fudge sundae 1710 cals

After grilled chicken snack wrap, side caesar salad or small fries and a large caramel iced coffee or small fruit smoothie 540-660 cals

What a difference. I do still indulge in the sundae sometimes, but i usually skip the fries or have a side garden salad instead when i do.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Whoa! HUGE changes! Please keep 'em coming! This is very helpful. Particularly the part about ASKING FOR THE NUTRITION booklet! I love that idea and would have never known!

I love when they're on the table or better yet on the menu! This alone has stopped me from making bad decisions!