is losing weight naturally REALLY a mystery ?

Options
leomom72
leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
so, several months ago, i lost my engagement ring/wedding band set, as it fell off my finger, never to be seen again..as of right now, im using a different ring on that finger, because its a natural feeling..ANYWHO, today i walked into a jewelry store to find something that matches what my hubby has ( as our set was matching ) the lady asked what size i wore, so i told her, and mentioned how it sucks to be buying a new one for such reason (obviously, weight loss has decreased the size of my fingers ) she asked what size i wore before and i told her a 9, 3 sizes bigger, and she about fell from her chair..she asked HOW i did it, and she about feel out of her chair once again when i said from eating better and working out..WHY is it such a shocker when people hear about weight loss the old fashion way ?? it was annoying..i guess people are so used to pills and lipo nowadays ? ugh ! :grumble: :noway:

Replies

• Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think media and society make it seem much more complicated and harder than it actually is so they don't feel as bad about being overweight, and to sell pills and fads that don't work.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol, there's so much conflciting information out there that even the most compotent of people can fall for anything other than the truth, and the truth is that changing your diet and exercising works, not that hard. it's just mostly mental.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it!!!

It's taken AAAAAGES before I joined MFP to loose what I had as I was just being lazy, I wont lie. But the only way you will loose weight and keep it off is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix!!
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    Cos people seem to think that everyone is a lazy cow who would rather side on their backsides and go on fad diets to get quick fixes! Congrats to you!
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it!

I share a big house with another young family. Whenever I go for an early run, they look at me like I'm crazy. They're like '' Why are you running?'' and I'm like '' .... Why shouldn't I? It's healthy. '' And they're like '' Ok...''
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I lost mine the old fashioned way...I don't care what people think as long as it's gone!!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    People in general want a fast fix. fast cars, fast food, fast phones 4G, fast everything. Nothing like good old hard work, it is a thing of the past
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    People in general want a fast fix. fast cars, fast food, fast phones 4G, fast everything. Nothing like good old hard work, it is a thing of the past

But if someone could help me to have a ''fast fix'' for weight, i'd take it. Why the good ol' work,though?
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    People always asked me how I've lost weight and most assume I've had surgery. People love the idea of a quick fix, it's much more appealing (even I have wished there were a magic pill or two) but just smile and know that you've worked your *kitten* off for your accomplishments :)
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people have no idea what to do or where to begin so the idea of trying anything is overwhelming. And I think a lot of people equate healthy with deprivation which isn't an appealing prospect even if you did want to lose weight. In either scenario, you've done what they consider to be unimaginable. Congratulations on your changes!
  • bbrat333
    bbrat333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's surprising because so many people are going for the stomach shrinking surgeries they have been advertising like crazy.
    I had 3 co-workers do the surgery (I have to give one credit, she lost over 100 on her own before the surgery), then I saw one more recently who had lost a lot of weight, I congratulated her assuming she had done it naturally, but no she confided that she had surgery too, just wasn't publicizing it.
    I figure I'm young enough with no major health issues yet. I'm gonna do it on my own, think it gives you a little more self pride to know you did something on your own, it's just so hard to find people lately who use their will power.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!

The best for me is when people assume I'm lying. They just can't believe I lost 20+ pounds in 8 months through ONLY changing my diet, tracking everything I eat, running, lifting weights 3x a week, cutting out alcohol.... that's all. Like it's super easy to lose the natural, old fashioned way.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    We're so into like.. instant results, instant gratification, no one has patience or wants to put in hard work over an extended period of time even if its gets them results they've wanted their whole lives. It's kind of sad really.

That being said, doing it the healthy way isn't easy as we all know. It takes time and that can be frustrating. Some people don't have the will power to do it so maybe it surprises them when they hear about people who had the will power to fight so hard for long enough to go down three ring sizes ;)

people are silly though. it really isn't rocket science. its a science - but one that we have pretty well figured out. glad i figured it out anyway :)