Urg... gained 3lbs!

Options
Hi there,

So, I have just weighed myself and I have gained 3lbs! All I can think of is that its water weigh, and will be gone within the next few days.... but I don't really understand how I could have gained 3lbs in 5 days. Take a look at my diary, and I am eating within my calorie range most days (1600)..... should I be eating more, eating different kinds of food???

I have increased my running to 4.5 to 5 miles a day, for 5 days a week... I don't run on Sat or Sun... I have also increased the amount of weight I am using at the gym

25lbs dumb bell curls : 12 reps * 3
100lbs Seated, Low Lat Pull-In, Two-Arm : 10 reps * 3
40lbs Bench (Chest) Press, Machine : 10 reps * 3

Could it be muscle weight, which is good if it is....

SilMarillion.

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I can gain 5 pounds in 48 hours, simply by running and not getting enough water.
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    After looking at your diary, I'd hazard a guess that you may need to eat more, based on how much exercise you're getting. Just a total guess though.

You're eating close to what I eat and I don't exercise quite as much as you.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    After looking at your diary, I'd hazard a guess that you may need to eat more, based on how much exercise you're getting. Just a total guess though.

That was my thought ... and I guess I will have to breakthrough the phobia of eat more food to loose weight.. I will see if I can get up to 2000 net calories a day.... Just seems weird to eat more...
  • JoolieW68
    Options

That was my thought ... and I guess I will have to breakthrough the phobia of eat more food to loose weight.. I will see if I can get up to 2000 net calories a day.... Just seems weird to eat more...

I know what you mean. Just make sure it's more of the right stuff. :smile:
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I bet if you ran less you would see more of a loss...
  • SilMarillion
    Options

Dang! I was going to stuff my face with Oreo's and Twinkies -- but I guess I will have to drink another protein shake
  • JoolieW68
    Options

Dang! I was going to stuff my face with Oreo's and Twinkies -- but I guess I will have to drink another protein shake

Make it a cheesecake cake batter protein smoothie. With strawberries. They are awesome.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    I bet if you ran less you would see more of a loss...

Maybe true... but I am training for a half marathon .... the run is in mid-July.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    grrr

?????
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    grrr

What? Am I wrong? I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so could be wrong.....
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    grrr

What? Am I wrong? I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so could be wrong.....

I think Pu_239 had an issue posting his reply ... he has since replied again.... I will have to read it later... its rather long...

As for my running habits .. 5 miles a day for 5 days... I am going to complete a half marathon in July, so will be increasing the running a mile a week for the next few weeks... Once I have completed the half-marathon, I will reduce the mileage down to 3 miles a day...

SilMarillion.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You might want to watch the sodium intake as well. It could be causing you to hold on to extra water weight. It looks like your sodium is looking good so far today, but there are some days where it looks like your sodium is high. My trainer tells me that in general you should keep your sodium below 1500 per day.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    You might want to watch the sodium intake as well. It could be causing you to hold on to extra water weight. It looks like your sodium is looking good so far today, but there are some days where it looks like your sodium is high. My trainer tells me that in general you should keep your sodium below 1500 per day.

Agreed... Sodium is something that I am trying to reduce... Yes, I know I had a horrible day yesterday..I had two Jr Cheeseburgers from wendy's and that took me to the edge at mid-day! The funny think is, I don't even cook with salt, or add salt to any of my foods... its amazing how much sodium is in food.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    Hi there,

So, I have just weighed myself and I have gained 3lbs! All I can think of is that its water weigh, and will be gone within the next few days.... but I don't really understand how I could have gained 3lbs in 5 days. Take a look at my diary, and I am eating within my calorie range most days (1600)..... should I be eating more, eating different kinds of food???

I have increased my running to 4.5 to 5 miles a day, for 5 days a week... I don't run on Sat or Sun... I have also increased the amount of weight I am using at the gym

25lbs dumb bell curls : 12 reps * 3
    100lbs Seated, Low Lat Pull-In, Two-Arm : 10 reps * 3
    40lbs Bench (Chest) Press, Machine : 10 reps * 3

Could it be muscle weight, which is good if it is....

SilMarillion.

Okay, after reading some of the replies to my message, and reading other comments about daily calories and eating more to loose weight, I went back and looked at my profile setting..... and the first thing I noticed that I hadn't changed the default settings for exercise ... MFP had be listed as light exercise and only exercising for 30 minutes at a time.... which is completely wrong...

Now that I have adjusted it to match what I actually do, my calorie intake has risen to 1950 or 2600 with exercise !!!! Looking back over the course of 7 days, I haven UNDER eating by as much as 1000 calories......! Ouch....

So, starting tomorrow, I am going to start eating all my calories and hopefully get back on the road to 165lbs

SilMarillion.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Wait. Can we put you in the column of "Those who finally get it"?

1600 is waaaaaaaay too few for a man at your weight. 2000 may be okay. At least you're moving in the right direction!
  • SilMarillion
    Options

1600 is waaaaaaaay too few for a man at your weight. 2000 may be okay. At least you're moving in the right direction!

It took two weeks to understand the settings in MFP!! I started using on my iPhone, and never changed any of the default settings, and just went with "its" recommendations.... which was 1600 calories a day...

My goal is simple... loose about 8lbs, ending up around 165lbs... at the same time train to run a half-marathon to be run in mid-july,

SilMarillion.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

It took two weeks to understand the settings in MFP!! I started using on my iPhone, and never changed any of the default settings, and just went with "its" recommendations.... which was 1600 calories a day...

My goal is simple... loose about 8lbs, ending up around 165lbs... at the same time train to run a half-marathon to be run in mid-july,

SilMarillion.

With that as your Goal, set your weight loss target at "Lose 1/2 pound a week". Because you really don't have the body fat to support any faster loss.

So, you want to eat at about 200-300 cals less than your weight-maintenance calories, whatever that is. The tool will figure it for you, but it's really up to you to do some research, know your daily energy needs (Google TDEE) and set your numbers accordingly.I'd bet it's much higher than 2000, and way higher on your training days.

When you exercise - like all that training for the half: eat back all the calories that will be given to you for that exercise. Any less and you'll start feeling like crappola. If I were you I'd go to some running sites and see what the expected calorie burn is for that type of training. Also, there are probably different macro needs for someone doing that much cardio. I'm sure this is a common discussion on any running site. Or you could post a topic here in Fitness and Exercise and ask for help from some of the seasoned runners.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Whateves... I gain 3 pounds in a matter of hours - it happens. It will go away. Don't worry about it.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I can gain 5 pounds in 48 hours, simply by running and not getting enough water.

me toooooooo
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert...but I would say more protein with all the lifting you do...and a little less carbs!
    You don't eat meat? Just protein shakes? Your sodium is high...maybe it's water weight.
    Have you tried clean eating....no processed foods?