Annoying Plateau!

Options
I've been stuck on a plateau for a good 4-5 months and I recently gained 5 pounds after I started working full time. I work out almost every day and I count calories and nothing is changing. I do P90X and Insanity videos.. What other exercises can I do that will "surprise" my body? Or should I try to change my diet up? That's going to be harder though because I'm a student and I live at home and I basically eat what my mom makes for dinner.

Help :sad:

Replies

• spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Sometimes our portion sizes creep up without us even realizing it.... you might want to make sure that you're measuring everything.
  • shelleyannefriend
    shelleyannefriend Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been on Weight Watchers since 1973, and am a free lifetime member (since 1984) so I know about Yo Yo and Plateau weight loss. MFP is great because it's an easy way to hold us accountable with people who are facing the same challenges.

You might consider:

1. writing down every single morsel you put in your mouth (in WW they call them BLTs--bites, licks and tastes), at the grocery store when they offer you a piece of cake or a bite of a cookie or a piece of sushi...even gum. Sometimes I just skip those because I don't think they are relevant, but they can add up.

2. being deliberate about drinking your water...nothing but lemon added, no diet drinks, at least 8 cups

3. including healthy fats (avocado, almonds, EVOO, etc) because healthy fats coupled with protein fill me up more. I know they are very high in calories and we don't always rationalize eating healthy fats, but I think it's important. I get NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING low fat or no fat. They are tasteless and honestly, the calorie boost fills me up.

Hope it helps. As I'm reminding you, I'm reminding myself, too.

I'm within my goal range just maintaining, which is just as challenging as losing...one day at a time, one step at a time, one breath at a time as you develop new habits. Being healthy is more important than being full.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Another thing to bear in mind is that sometimes even if the scale doesn't show progress, the measurements do - make sure you keep an eye on them, even if the scale is discouraging.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've been stuck around the same weight since I lost my 4 pounds but my body is definetly changing!
  • c0untingsheep
    c0untingsheep Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies!

Today I took the time to map out how I am going to eat my calories each day. I'm going to try to eat the same amount, but split it up more during the day (aka smaller portion sizes!). I'm also going to try and eat less refined carbs like white bread and rice and try getting protein more from things like beans and nuts rather than red meat. And I think a big problem is the calories that sneak into my diet from little bites here and there. Gonna start to track those too.

Also, while sitting at the office I'm going to try to do small things like squeeze my abs every once in a while, take the stairs etc. Hopefully it all adds up and I can start seeing results again!
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes track everything you eat.. And if you want to break the plateau then.... (staring menacingly at your white bread)
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It is also possible you need to eat more calories. As you get closer to your goal weight, you may actually need to eat more or your body will go into starvation mode. I tried looking at your diary to see what you are eating, but it's locked so I'll just offer that up.
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's kind of hard to guess without seeing your food diary. Maybe if you open it we can help better. How many cals are you eating now? DO NOT GO BELOW 1200. Good luck in breaking the plateau. I am at a plateau for a few wks but I have lost 50 lbs and I'm thinking my body needed to take a break. I won't give up! I will eat more and do some wt training. :)

Carri1
  • rapt1
    rapt1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Try staying consistently at or below 1200 calories. Cut more carbs and eat more protein or increase your exercise. Make sure you are being accurate with your food log. Then if your still not losing cut another 100 calories. If the hunger is getting your increase your fluids. Get a protien shaker (20 ounce cup) and make sure your drinking at least 3 or 4 of those a day. Do it for a week and see where your at.

Just remember it's input / output. It's impossible to gain weight in a deficit and if your at a plateau it's not going to last long. Your body can't maintain it's weight in a deficit.
  • burbanum
    burbanum Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try eating more...check out the group Eat more to weigh less. WE all have been where you are and realized fuel is what most of use needed! check it out!
  • c0untingsheep
    Options
    It's kind of hard to guess without seeing your food diary. Maybe if you open it we can help better. How many cals are you eating now? DO NOT GO BELOW 1200. Good luck in breaking the plateau. I am at a plateau for a few wks but I have lost 50 lbs and I'm thinking my body needed to take a break. I won't give up! I will eat more and do some wt training. :)

Carri1

My daily calorie goal is 1600 right now. I had it at 1400 but I felt like I always felt deprived and I kept having mini binges at night.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
  • c0untingsheep
    Options

Thanks! This really brings my motivation up. :D