Great Tasting and Good For You Carbs???

Options

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of research about how grains are bad for you. I didn't make it up, do some research.

Humans have been cultivating and eating grains since, I don't know, the end of the paleolithic era. We've been eating them for at least 6,000, if not 8,000-10,000 years. If our bodies had problems with them (besides the people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease) we wouldn't have been eating them for so long.

In other words, a small fraction of a percent of our existance.

Why do you think this matters.

Do you understand how evolutionary adaptations work? Or the role of gut-microbia in human digestion?

Nope. But I'm sure that you've googled a few lame sources that back up your point of view that no one cares about.

Wow. Really? You don't care that it could be possible that the human body evolved and adapted to having grains as a part of our diet?

The awesome thing about the internet is one is always able to find like minded people -- no matter how pathetic. I'm sure that "Ron Swanson" was able to google such sources.

I haven't done internet research on this issue. I also don't trust one source on anything, no matter how compelling their argument may be. I base my opinions on issues like these on science, history, anthropology, etc. and the evolutionary theory plays heavily into that. All organisms either adapt to their surroundings (to include dietary changes) or they die out. To infer that grains can be a part of a healthy diet is neither pathetic, nor uninformed.
  • pattiejp
    pattiejp Posts: 2
    Options
    wheat is only bad if u have a problem with gluten (and sadly sometimes we dont know that we do)
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Arrgh, why does every thread have to get derailed like this? Her original question was not asking if she should eat wheat products or not!

With that rant out of the way, I love:

Yams with a tsp of coconut oil
    Berries are coming into season! Love them w/cottage cheese or yogurt
    Ezekiel bread with fig jam and almond butter
    Half of a baked potato with truffle salt :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of research about how grains are bad for you. I didn't make it up, do some research.

Humans have been cultivating and eating grains since, I don't know, the end of the paleolithic era. We've been eating them for at least 6,000, if not 8,000-10,000 years. If our bodies had problems with them (besides the people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease) we wouldn't have been eating them for so long.

Do you understand how evolutionary adaptations work? Or the role of gut-microbia in human digestion?

Nope. But I'm sure that you've googled a few lame sources that back up your point of view that no one cares about.

Wow. Really? You don't care that it could be possible that the human body evolved and adapted to having grains as a part of our diet?

The awesome thing about the internet is one is always able to find like minded people -- no matter how pathetic. I'm sure that "Ron Swanson" was able to google such sources.

I haven't done internet research on this issue. I also don't trust one source on anything, no matter how compelling their argument may be. I base my opinions on issues like these on science, history, anthropology, etc. and the evolutionary theory plays heavily into that. All organisms either adapt to their surroundings (to include dietary changes) or they die out. To infer that grains can be a part of a healthy diet is neither pathetic, nor uninformed.

Also, are you this adamant about other foods that we haven't been eating all that long (like chocolate, coffee, dairy, etc.), or is it just wheat?
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    I HAVE SUM LOW CARB/HIGH FIBER TORTILLAS DAT R 11G OF CARBS & 6G OF FIBER + 5G OF PROTEIN. DA NET CARBS R ONLY 5G. WOW!!!! THOSE FLAT-OUT WRAPS R GR8 ALSO!!
  • ladyace15
    ladyace15 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you they got the gist of my question and answered it with a lot of great alternatives and ideas! I will be looking into a lot if not all of them :happy: With that being said, I would just like to put out there that while this is a free country and you can have your own opinions, I am pretty much in the business of positiveness and uplifting people! If you feel like you have to stir away from the post to conduct a non related conversation with each other, that's fine, but please try not to clog up the feed with back and forth banter about beliefs that you've already stated earlier in the post! We are all adults looking for motivation! Keep negativity out of my sight please and thank you!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I get George's pita bread or flat bread, Walmart has them only 50 calories.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Wheat is people! Wheat is people!

No wait, that's not right.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I really love those whole grain light english muffins from Thomas too! Also, another great non bread carb is beans, they taste great when theyre not refried too! They are a little high in calories, but trust me, half a cup is more than enough, they are really filling.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I dont recall if anyone mentioned Flat-out breads either. I've really enjoyed them alot but I'm not sure about the carb count on them. They come in several varieties/flavors too!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

LOL @ the appeal to authority. How, exactly is a cardiologist qualified to make the claims that this clown does?

how exactly are you qualified to spout all your claims?

What claims have I made that haven't been backed with evidence?
    You must have at least 5 letters after your name in order for them to believe you without question. At least two of these letters must be capitalized. Sorry, I don't make the rules.
  • c0ffee_l0ver
    c0ffee_l0ver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lies.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

LOL @ the appeal to authority. How, exactly is a cardiologist qualified to make the claims that this clown does?

how exactly are you qualified to spout all your claims?

What claims have I made that haven't been backed with evidence?
    You must have at least 5 letters after your name in order for them to believe you without question. At least two of these letters must be capitalized. Sorry, I don't make the rules.

fake-diploma-e1290115516150.png
  • c0ffee_l0ver
    Options
    From my experience it is important to just read the label. Make sure that the first ingredient is Whole Wheat, nothing enriched. I eat the Sarah Lee 100% Whole Wheat and it is delicious but I've also like Natures Own. A lot of my friends eat Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Bread. I know nothing about it other than they swear by its deliciousness haha.
  • c0ffee_l0ver
    Options

As a scientist I can vouch for his claim here. However, I'm wondering where you can get the same nutrition elsewhere? I think you mentioned earlier that it can be found in other sources. So I'm curious as to what sources you use instead of whole grains.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The super refined grains with added sugar are what's bad for you. If you ate whole grains like steel-cut oats and Ezekiel bread, barley, etc. it is completely different than if you are considering your whole grains coming from cinnamon roll flavored packets of oatmeal or honey nut cheerios. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    How about WASA light reye? It is not soft bread, but taste pretty good with anything on top. To slices have 60 cal and only 14 carbs. No sugars, but Fiber.
  • seczneyd
    seczneyd Posts: 25
    Options
    We love bread and sandwiches in our house, so we use the "Thins." They are very thin/smaller pieces of bread and are only 100 calories per "bun." We use them for toast, hamburger buns, and sandwich bread. They are a nice alternative to regular bread without feeling like you are going without.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    One of my very favorite healthy carb foods is sweet potato!

I'm gluten intolerant, so I don't have many options for bread... however, I love Udi's whole grain sandwich bread. It's 75 calories a slice. Udi's also makes amazing cinnamon raisin bread that's 80 calories per slice.

Sweet potatoes are yummy. Too bad they can't make bread from them, right? That would be awesome.

I ate a a restaurant that had sweet potato biscuits. Great tasting carbs for sure, but I'm a little dubious on the good for you. :love:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump!